OT: Winter Olympics Part II

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Extremely boring hockey. Did we see a single hit in last 3 games? How many creative plays? How many goals?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Aren't the majority of players in the Olympics from the NHL?

Maybe they should use smaller ice...

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Aren't the majority of players in the Olympics from the NHL?

Maybe they should use smaller ice...

We should slope the big rinks all together. SHL (Swedish Hockey League) looks so darn slow when they play. NHL is much much faster because of the small rinks and more enjoyable to watch.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Has nothing to do with the team makeup, the point was, you cannot crash the crease the same way in international hockey that has always been a problem for Canada. They are really allowing more of that then they typically allow and that in my opinion is because that is standard in the NHL.

I know all but one player and that would be Jimmie Ericsson (who has turned down NHL offers) are NHL players, not really the point I was getting at.

sorry, i guess it seemed like you meant it was advantage canada when in fact it was advantage canada and advantage sweden, no?

kronwall was right with what he said yesterday, much better to ahve refs they know by name and wifes name then some rando latvian referee

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Total domination by Canada.

Yup.

SWE - CAN 0-3

Scoring chances:

0 -10min, 4-3
10-20min, 1-8 (Toews goal)

20-30min, 5-3
30-40min, 3-14 (Crosby goal)

40-50min, 2-12 (Kunitz goal)
50-60min 2-3

Total: 17-43

DOMINATING. Concrete defensively, 0.50 GAA.

SWE-CAN, 17-43
USA-CAN, 25-37
FIN-CAN, 10-33

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Gotta say as a guy rooting for Canada I find the turnaround in our Olympics threads the last couple days as Canada beat America and Sweden pretty fun. Went from a pretty bouncy energetic atmosphere in these threads to basically everyone saying the tournament sucked :laugh:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I was rooting for Sweden just because of the number of Wings on the team. It was a pretty boring game though and overall olympics. I'd rate Russia-USA game as the highlight of the tourney

crashman

I was rooting for Sweden just because of the number of Wings on the team. It was a pretty boring game though and overall olympics. I'd rate Russia-USA game as the highlight of the tourney

I agree.

I heard they're actually planning on modifiying the Red Wings locker room before the players return from Sochi. They're worried Mike Babcock's head won't fit though the doorway.

;)

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I think I would have been more into the olympics if it was in North America. By the time I got home from work, I knew all the results and didn't care for watching the highlight packages on CBC and NBC. Much more exciting for example in Vancouver where I was watching all the games live after work.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Gotta say as a guy rooting for Canada I find the turnaround in our Olympics threads the last couple days as Canada beat America and Sweden pretty fun. Went from a pretty bouncy energetic atmosphere in these threads to basically everyone saying the tournament sucked :laugh:

eh, I wasn't a fan of the olympics from the start. Like the rest/break it gave us to get guys like Weiss and Franzen relatively healthy for a push, though.

Can the boys come home now? I miss Red Wing hockey.

What a disappointing Olympics for me.

The big ice is just...painful. For how this is supposed to be great exposure for the NHL, draw in fans, etc., I just don't see it. On a larger ice surface, the game is entirely different, and a lot of the selling points for the NA game just aren't present. I wasn't able to sit through an entire game the whole tournament.

In '02 and 2010, when they had smaller rinks, it was far more entertaining.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Not really, not at all.
This is terribly boring hockey.
What did we get to see?
Crosby 1 goal in 6 games, Teows, Malkin, Ovechkin ....
Great goaltending? No
Hits? No
Goals ? No.
Boring to death

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Not really, not at all.
This is terribly boring hockey.
What did we get to see?
Crosby 1 goal in 6 games, Teows, Malkin, Ovechkin ....
Great goaltending? No
Hits? No
Goals ? No.
Boring to death

Agree for the most part but there were some pretty great goalie performances in this tourney. Price was great (that defense didn't hurt), that Latvian goalie's game vs Canada and Rask.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

The teams I was rooting for scored 0 goals in the last 3 games... Sad hockey face.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Agree for the most part but there were some pretty great goalie performances in this tourney. Price was great (that defense didn't hurt), that Latvian goalie's game vs Canada and Rask.

Yeah the goaltending for several of the teams was outstanding.

Sweden, Canada, USA, Latvia, Finland. All outstanding showings by the goalies.

Most of the games were pretty boring though. A lot of perimeter hockey with not much going down the middle. And everything was slower.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Well 4 years ago we beat Canada once then got damn close to doing it twice.

So then we had to wait 4 years to match up again, and acquired some high expectations and hopes in the mean time, then had a really disappointing showing.

So yeah, pretty much just took the wind out of our sales.

I left the 2010 Olympics just waiting for 4 years to go by with huge excitement for the 2014 Olympics. After this year I don't have the same feeling at all. Quite the opposite actually.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Well 4 years ago we beat Canada once then got damn close to doing it twice.

So then we had to wait 4 years to match up again, and acquired some high expectations and hopes in the mean time, then had a really disappointing showing.

So yeah, pretty much just took the wind out of our sales.

I left the 2010 Olympics just waiting for 4 years to go by with huge excitement for the 2014 Olympics. After this year I don't have the same feeling at all. Quite the opposite actually.

in four years some of the teams lineups will be much scarier(finland and nutso to say but canada as well)

DatsyukianDeke*

Canadian fans loved the tournament, that is pretty telling. I was entertained the entire time, maybe because Canada controlled play for 70% of every game.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
LA Kings d-man Mattias Norström: "Sweden didn't lose the gold, they won the silver"

Its a fair comment, Canada looked like the 2008 Wings the last 2 games. They held the 3 best teams in the tournament to 1 goal in 3 games, back to back shut-outs in the semi-final and final.
Just getting the puck into the Canadian zone was an achievement. Regaining possession after doing that? Nearly impossible.

Even with Zetterberg, Sedin, Backstrom and Franzen this would have been an uphill battle for Sweden.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

It seems to me I have very different goaltending standards than most of the posters here.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It was pretty weird too see, that Tuomo Ruutu was the only NHL player to score against Canada. :)

Two others were Norwegian Patrik Thoresen (SKA St.Petersburg, KHL) and Latvian Lauris Darzins (Dynamo Riga, KHL)

And Gustav Nyquist hit the post. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->