Winter Olympics 2026 in Milano and Cortina

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Well I thought it was obvious the poster was referring to overall winter sports interest, not hockey but I guess that's just me.
Who cares? There's hockey beyond the NHL. If the Canadians aren't interested in the sport beyond one league that's their shame and doesn't really compare very well even to Italy.
Actually the references to "the NHL" and "the sport" (singular) makes it obvious the poster is talking about just hockey and not overall winter sports interest

Yes because that's exactly the point in talking about adult teams vs junior teams...
Nope, we're talking about Olympics which is for adults.
On the other hand you actually did say Olympics and therefore weren't specifically talking about hockey (you should have referenced a hockey league and then said used "the sport" like Albatross did!)

Not sure why you'd post a pic of all these people responding to you and how wrong you've repeatedly been :sarcasm:
tenor.gif

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
To recap:

- Canadians only care about the NHL
Ok, What about the World Cup?
- That doesn't count. Cause it's basically NHL.
Alright, how about the IHWC, World Juniors, AHL, CHL?
- No we're only talking about the Olympics here!
?? Uhm, ok. So how about the last Olympics then? When nearly 3 million Canadians watched a bunch of "nobodies" skate around playing for bronze?
- That doesn't count either because Italy doesn't play in the Final.

HUH? What's the point any more?

Reactions: Riddum

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
To recap:

- Canadians only care about the NHL
Ok, What about the World Cup?
- That doesn't count. Cause it's basically NHL.
Alright, how about the IHWC, World Juniors, AHL, CHL?
- No we're only talking about the Olympics here!
?? Uhm, ok. So how about the last Olympics then? When nearly 3 million Canadians watched a bunch of "nobodies" skate around playing for bronze?
- That doesn't count either because Italy doesn't play in the Final.

HUH? What's the point any more?

The's no point in anything anymore.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
The reason why Finland will never host the winter-Olympics is that we don't have proper hills, which is a blessing; stops us from wasting a lot of money for nonsense such as the olympics.

I guess its downhill and super G thats is the main problem?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The reason why Finland will never host the winter-Olympics is that we don't have proper hills, which is a blessing; stops us from wasting a lot of money for nonsense such as the olympics.

The only way to do it would be in co-operation with maybe Sweden and Åre. I think that's the plan they're going for. The actual problem is the lack of a proper sled track. Not sure if Lillehammer still has one. Probably not because Stockholm's bid had Latvia in it due to them having one.

Reactions: Ippenator

member 305909

In 2030 it will certainly be in North-America again but maybe in 2034 it is Sweden hosting.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
In 2030 it will certainly be in North-America again but maybe in 2034 it is Sweden hosting.

Highly doubtfull.

Well 2034 is a long way ahead, so who knows what the lay of the land is.

But.

Sweden has already failed this like 6 times, and if its going to be worth to try again, Sweden need to show up something extra, with new arenas, large budget and a full guarantee of financial backup from the Swedish taxpayers, and all around cooperate with everything IOC wants. That needs to be in place, and knowing how things work, the Swedish public opinion against will be too large.

Maybe Norway?

Last edited:

member 305909

I don't blame the public opinion for being against bidding for the olympics but unfortunately they don't get asked.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I don't blame the public opinion for being against bidding for the olympics but unfortunately they don't get asked.

Its typical for Swedish opinion to always be split in half in everything.

But yeah, the Swedish olympic commitee tried to ease the public opinion with a low budget, it kind of worked since they got at least the goverment on thier side, but to the expense of having a bit too spread out olympic bid, and a bit too lose financial guarantees (at least from ioc's point of view, there is different opinions on that).

member 305909

You could say that the summer-Olympics should always be in Athens because that is where the Olympics belong. How could the Greek afford to host it every time? I have no idea.

However, as for the winter-Olympics, there is no place where it "belongs".

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I lived in Milan for the first 25 years of my life. I can guarantee you that in february the torrid temperatures are a big problem, fortunately the ATM (public transport company) now sold all the trams to S.Francisco and switches to dromedaries, now we can make our way out of the sandstorms with ease.
Anyways, in Milan only the opening and closing ceremonies will take place (in S.Siro stadium) and the ice sports. The rest is spread over three different regions, on structures that already largely exists.
I am not a big fan of having the olympics at home, for various reasons, but at least is s very very budged candidature. Milan still needs a proper ice rink, the Agorà is horrible and the Forum not really functional. Hopefully a new arena will bring back part of those 10000 spectators that the Saima had in the nineties. The village will be build in a very central, yet mostly abandoned, area. Worst case scenario will turn in the umpteenth block of unnecessary luxury housing and offices buildings. The rest is pretty much already there and will just need to be brushed up.
Oh, who says that northern Italy does not have a winter sport culture really does not know what he is talking about.

That said, when the games will be done, they'll leave behind a town with brand new shiny toys, much more gentrified, more expensive, less diverse and less livable for all the people that are not rich enough to cope with the new status.
I hope I will be mistaken with this, but the Expo is new enough to work as a good example of what can happen.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Sweden host 0 times, 158 winter games medals.

Italy host 3 times, 124 winter games medals.

Yea, traditon is important to the IOC.

Lolololol.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
It's a country with 30+ celsius / 86+ Fahrenheit degrees in winter which means their "fake snow" will melt in seconds and the ice quality will be awful for any event involving skating

not sure where you're getting your info from since it definitely doesn't look like Milan and Cortina get 30 degree winter weather

Reactions: Jussi and adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
not sure where you're getting your info from since it definitely doesn't look like Milan and Cortina get 30 degree winter weather

I have to agree. I believe that Cortina hosted the 1956 Winter Olympics. Zambonis existed but I don't know if artificial snow guns had been invented.

Cortina managed to pull it off somehow despite that "tropical weather" that Zeb has posted about.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sweden host 0 times, 158 winter games medals.

Italy host 3 times, 124 winter games medals.

Yea, traditon is important to the IOC.

Lolololol.

Having venues for all the disciplines seems to be most important. Sweden does not have a track for sled events. You do understand that? Lillehammer had a track in '94. Build one, then you might get the games. Organizing them in Latvia was a simple no-go when the other candidate has them all in the same country.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I have to agree. I believe that Cortina hosted the 1956 Winter Olympics. Zambonis existed but I don't know if artificial snow guns had been invented.

Cortina managed to pull it off somehow despite that "tropical weather" that Zeb has posted about.

1956 Olympic weather:

original.jpg

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
^^^If you don't think "tropical" when you look at that picture, I don't know what to tell you. Is that Italy, or is that Hawai'i prior to a big-wave surfing competition? (end sarcasm)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->