Transfer: Winter mercato window rumors

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Can't see your point. You said City never failed to attract any player.
They agreed to the same fee as PSG and Mbappe chose PSG.
Period.
I'm not sure if Mbappe would've gone to PSG had Neymar not gone there. He has been the biggest get and transfer maybe in the history of the sport. Everybody thought he was untouchable. Without Neymar, PSG are almost an afterthought to be honest. No Mbappe and no Neymar, and this PSG team would be average.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
:dunno:
What's your point? You said City never failed to attract any player. What does it have to do with PSG or Neymar? They didn't get him, period.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Funny how this myth of Arsenal not spending is still alive.

Sanchez, Ozil, Xhaka, Lacazette and Mustafi.

That isn´t that much different from City´s top 5 (I know the 6th, 7th etc. player at City is a lot more expensive than the 6th, 7th etc. Arsenal player).

They will now spend. Can´t compete with oil money, ManUtd, RM and maybe BM, but they rest they can.

Indeed.

And even if it were true, their failure to spot Kante blew to smithereens the idea that lack of spending money was their biggest problem.

When the team-building capacity of your manager goes awry, a signing spree isn't going to help you.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It's a rare occurrence. Neymar is a bigger attractant than the club itself.

And Pep is City’s attraction. Without him they’re a big wage on the 2nd biggest club in town.

Not sure why City is getting a pass in your hierarchy of clubs while United is only a money grab, and PSG is nothing but guys wanting to play with Neymar.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm not sure if Mbappe would've gone to PSG had Neymar not gone there. He has been the biggest get and transfer maybe in the history of the sport. Everybody thought he was untouchable. Without Neymar, PSG are almost an afterthought to be honest. No Mbappe and no Neymar, and this PSG team would be average.

I mean if Neymar went to PSG, don't you think Mbappe would go there to? Neymar is an exponentially bigger get than Mbappe you'd think.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Players were going to City well before Pep got there.

Absolutely, but it seems like they have been matched on salaries from quite a few clubs lately. Not only PSG.

As for PSG they are the main club in Paris. Even if the French league isn´t as attractive as the PL that is something. City without oil is nothing. Might not even have played in the PL.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Guardiola leaves. Money will still make them attractive, but it should hurt them in certain cases when players are sought after by several of the richest clubs. With Mark Hughes those 50/50 won´t necessarily fall in City´s favour.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
And Pep is City’s attraction. Without him they’re a big wage on the 2nd biggest club in town.

Not sure why City is getting a pass in your hierarchy of clubs while United is only a money grab, and PSG is nothing but guys wanting to play with Neymar.

City had to be doing something right to attract Pep. United are clearly 2nd fiddle to City. Not even really a debate.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
City had to be doing something right to attract Pep. United are clearly 2nd fiddle to City. Not even really a debate.

Yeah. Money.

There might be the odd player that wouldn't play for Mourinho - as there are players that won't play for Guardiola, but apart from that 10 out of 10 would choose Utd over City if everything else was equal.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
If there were no Emiries, PSG would be like the Louvre without the Italian works. Money dictate where a player is going to play.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Louvre without the italian work....
Ignorance at its best... Louvre has mountains of immense art work, regardless of nationalities.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, a team between 15th (worst finish) and top 3-4 in L1. Never relegated, a few times european contenders, but overall clearly not a top 4 european club in today's football.

But I'll say it again, Louvre is filled with marvels from every country, every period, and italian art is only a fraction.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Spending 50+ million on players is a recent trend. 50 million is the new 30 million. The Lemar bid, as fruitless as it was, shows that Arsenal will spend.

Does it? They spent literally months sending off lowball bids. If it's true that they made a 90m bid in the end, it was only once all was lost and I wouldn't put it past them to have counted on being rejected. Either way it'll take a lot more than that to convince me that Arsenal is willing to spend if the situation calls for it. They made a goddamn net PROFIT on the summer transfer window.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Spending the money and saying you're willing are a much different situation.

I can speak on that as an expert Liverpool supporter. Being an Orioles fan also gives me some experience.

It's one thing to go out there and say, "We offered this, but they just wouldn't take it". It's another to actually have been willing to spend it.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Louvre without the italian work....
Ignorance at its best... Louvre has mountains of immense art work, regardless of nationalities.

Yep, Louvre comparision is stupid. Should go there and see before talking, that place is unbelievable

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Spending the money and saying you're willing are a much different situation.

I can speak on that as an expert Liverpool supporter. Being an Orioles fan also gives me some experience.

It's one thing to go out there and say, "We offered this, but they just wouldn't take it". It's another to actually have been willing to spend it.
Could be worse, could be happening in the opposite direction

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, not fitting at all.
There's more egyptian treasure than italian treasure for instance.
In your comparison, that'd be like saying PSG is nothing without Verratti. Right. A star on the team, but hardly the biggest and if he were to leave, PSG would still be competitive.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
The only club in England that doesn't have issues attracting top talent is Manchester City. Chelsea, and Manchester United have failed with targets pretty regularly in the last little bit. Especially Manchester United. There was one summer a 2 or 3 years ago where they failed on 4-5 targets.

Realistically, the only clubs with pull are Barcelona, Real Madrid, and to an extent Bayern Munich/Manchester City. United offer more money than anybody else and that's why they are attractive to some footballers. They have no more shine than any of the other top 5 clubs in England. It's ridiculous to think.

With regards to Wenger, aside from Pep, he's still the most player friendly manager in England. Mourinho is a monster, Conte is a little crazy, Liverpool/Spurs can't pay high enough wages for it to be worth it for top players.

For top talents I think United and Chelsea have just as much of a pull as City. I can't imagine the amount of bs transfer rumours surrounding a team like United. Chelsea has a larger issue when it comes to depth players since Conte doesn't rotate, not top talent.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Two rumours...

- Sounds like Man City is going to prepare an offer for Alexis Sanchez in winter.
- Oezil and his agent have had positive contract talks with Arsenal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad