Transfer: Winter mercato window rumors

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That's true as well.

But not sure anyone in the game has had more impact than Guy Roux on a team. Took them from the lower amateur levels to UEFA Cup semi finals (and ref controversy prevented them to reach the final). With extra limited budgets.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
If your best rationalization for why a star player might be joining your club is "Arsene Wenger", yeah, you know you got nothing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wenger still commands a lot of respect in football.
No one is saying he doesn't, but he's fallen from what he was 10 years ago. Arsenal have fallen from what they were. Sure, they could still get him, but every club with the money will want to sign him, so it's hard to imagine Griezmann choosing Arsenal over another club.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
No one is saying he doesn't, but he's fallen from what he was 10 years ago. Arsenal have fallen from what they were. Sure, they could still get him, but every club with the money will want to sign him, so it's hard to imagine Griezmann choosing Arsenal over another club.

Arsenal haven't fallen from what they were. They've been a top 4 team I'm until last season. What those posters are saying is it's IMPOSSIBLE for Griez to sign with Arsenal.

And every club will want to sign him but do they have room to sign him.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Arsenal haven't fallen from what they were. They've been a top 4 team I'm until last season. What those posters are saying is it's IMPOSSIBLE for Griez to sign with Arsenal.

And every club will want to sign him but do they have room to sign him.

And they have fallen, they used to be a club that would win the league and legitimately challenge for the title. From 97/98 - 04/05, they either finished 1st or 2nd with 3 titles. Since then, in 12 seasons, they've had 1 2nd place finish and no titles. They have fallen from what they were, hasn't been much, but enough for a guy like Griez to go elsewhere. If we were talking 10+ years ago, I'd say it would almost be a lock that he'd end up there.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I think Wenger still garners a lot more respect from professionals than from fans these days. Liverpool also managed to attract players despite being in something of a slump. That said, Griezmann to Arsenal strikes me as highly improbable.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Wenger still garners a lot more respect from professionals than from fans these days. Liverpool also managed to attract players despite being in something of a slump. That said, Griezmann to Arsenal strikes me as highly improbable.

For sure, he gets respect, and those clubs will continue to attract big players, my point is that when Griezmann is made available, almost every club with money will be interested. It's not like Lacazette, where other big clubs chose not to pursue him.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
The only club in England that doesn't have issues attracting top talent is Manchester City. Chelsea, and Manchester United have failed with targets pretty regularly in the last little bit. Especially Manchester United. There was one summer a 2 or 3 years ago where they failed on 4-5 targets.

Realistically, the only clubs with pull are Barcelona, Real Madrid, and to an extent Bayern Munich/Manchester City. United offer more money than anybody else and that's why they are attractive to some footballers. They have no more shine than any of the other top 5 clubs in England. It's ridiculous to think.

With regards to Wenger, aside from Pep, he's still the most player friendly manager in England. Mourinho is a monster, Conte is a little crazy, Liverpool/Spurs can't pay high enough wages for it to be worth it for top players.

Reactions: S E P H

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The only club in England that doesn't have issues attracting top talent is Manchester City. Chelsea, and Manchester United have failed with targets pretty regularly in the last little bit. Especially Manchester United. There was one summer a 2 or 3 years ago where they failed on 4-5 targets.

Realistically, the only clubs with pull are Barcelona, Real Madrid, and to an extent Bayern Munich/Manchester City. United offer more money than anybody else and that's why they are attractive to some footballers. They have no more shine than any of the other top 5 clubs in England. It's ridiculous to think.

With regards to Wenger, aside from Pep, he's still the most player friendly manager in England. Mourinho is a monster, Conte is a little crazy, Liverpool/Spurs can't pay high enough wages for it to be worth it for top players.

I don't completely agree with this, but it's also not the point being made.

It's not that others teams won't struggle, it's that Arsenal will struggle more so in comparison. I don't care about the reasons or the shine of the club, none of that matters except for the fans that put themselves on a higher moral ground.

If Griezmann is made available, many other clubs would be ahead of Arsenal IMO.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
If Griezmann is made available, many other clubs would be ahead of Arsenal IMO.

Also, with everything else being equal, Arsenal have never paid more than 50m for a player. Other teams will be much more willing to shell out the amount it's going to take for Griez

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Also, with everything else being equal, Arsenal have never paid more than 50m for a player. Other teams will be much more willing to shell out the amount it's going to take for Griez

Lacazette went for 50m.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Yes. I said never paid more than 50. Or are you somehow implying that Griezmann can be had for 50m?

Prior to Lacazette they never paid more than 42mil. They were willing to pay 92m for Lemar. I took what you were saying as implying that Arsenal wouldn't budge above the 50m which isn't true.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Prior to Lacazette they never paid more than 42mil. They were willing to pay 92m for Lemar. I took what you were saying as implying that Arsenal wouldn't budge above the 50m which isn't true.

I'm saying that's the highest they've gone. They were willing to pay more than that for Lemar but still way less than it had been made clear they wanted. If they really went up to 92m (which I don't really remember hearing confirmed), then it was only at the last minute when the team had already sold off their other players and didn't want to lose any more. Why would Atleti sell to a team who's going to keep lowballing them (maybe only making a sensible offer after 5 joke bids) when there are other parties willing to pay market value?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I'm saying that's the highest they've gone. They were willing to pay more than that for Lemar but still way less than it had been made clear they wanted. If they really went up to 92m (which I don't really remember hearing confirmed), then it was only at the last minute when the team had already sold off their other players and didn't want to lose any more. Why would Atleti sell to a team who's going to keep lowballing them (maybe only making a sensible offer after 5 joke bids) when there are other parties willing to pay market value?

Except who are these other teams that have been linked to Griez? The only one this past summer was Man U.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Except who are these other teams that have been linked to Griez? The only one this past summer was Man U.

They aren't there because they know Atletico isn't selling. And Griezmann isn't looking to leave just for the sake of leaving. I don't rate him quite as highly as some people do, but there's no doubt that with his performances and hype, Griezmann would fetch far above 50M.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
They aren't there because they know Atletico isn't selling. And Griezmann isn't looking to leave just for the sake of leaving. I don't rate him quite as highly as some people do, but there's no doubt that with his performances and hype, Griezmann would fetch far above 50M.

I'm not disputing the fee. I think he will go around Lukaku's fee or higher if he were to leave.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Funny how this myth of Arsenal not spending is still alive.

Sanchez, Ozil, Xhaka, Lacazette and Mustafi.

That isn´t that much different from City´s top 5 (I know the 6th, 7th etc. player at City is a lot more expensive than the 6th, 7th etc. Arsenal player).

They will now spend. Can´t compete with oil money, ManUtd, RM and maybe BM, but they rest they can.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kroenke will make a bid on Usmanov's portion of the club to own 97.4% of Arsenal FC. The bid is 525 million pounds and I hope to God that Usmanov say's no.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Do you think Mbappe would've gone to PSG if they hadn't signed Neymar?
Can't see your point. You said City never failed to attract any player.
They agreed to the same fee as PSG and Mbappe chose PSG.
Period.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

Spending 50+ million on players is a recent trend. 50 million is the new 30 million. The Lemar bid, as fruitless as it was, shows that Arsenal will spend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad