Winter Classic Travel & Accomodations

TheDream

May 3, 2011
Ontario
With the season starting the way it has, i'm getting more and more excited as the winter classic approaches! So far all i've done is paid for my tickets and waiting for them to be delivered end of November.

Now before the big day arrives, there are still lots of other things to take care of.

To the people going:

1. How are you planning on getting there (and returning)?
2. Where will you be staying?
3. How many days will you be staying

Im trying to find a charter bus filled with leafs fan to make the journey more enjoyable, any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, a few people have suggested booking a hotel in Windsor, as the party atmosphere should be quite lively for new years, but Ann Arbor seems to be the more ideal place.

Lets hope the Leafs can destroy the Red Wings and make it an EPIC night!!

GO LEAFS GO!
:leafs

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
1 - Driving down. There are dozens of us, including three or four families from Woodbridge, that are all going down and making a hell of a road trip out of it. Will be good going as a large group - makes the distance and length of drive easier to deal with.

2 - Leave on the 30th, so we are there for the 30th, 31st, NYE, and the 1st. Not sure whether or not we leave the same day as the game, or stay the extra night and leave after.

3 - We have hotels booked in both Ann Arbor and Windsor, but aren't sure which one we are taking yet until we figure out concrete New Years Plans; pick one, give up the other one.

TheDream

May 3, 2011
Ontario
1 - Driving down. There are dozens of us, including three or four families from Woodbridge, that are all going down and making a hell of a road trip out of it. Will be good going as a large group - makes the distance and length of drive easier to deal with.

2 - Leave on the 30th, so we are there for the 30th, 31st, NYE, and the 1st. Not sure whether or not we leave the same day as the game, or stay the extra night and leave after.

3 - We have hotels booked in both Ann Arbor and Windsor, but aren't sure which one we are taking yet until we figure out concrete New Years Plans; pick one, give up the other one.

Wow thats actually a smart move. Didn't know you can cancel, thought all bookings were final.

Im going with 3 buddies and started looking for hotels today,but sadly many seem to be booked...

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I am looking to take a bus from Toronto to Detroit early in the morning, and then leave after the game back to Toronto.

If any one has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. I am not trying to stay in Detroit for New Years.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
1. Walking down my stairs and turning on my TV
2. At my house
3. Until I move, I dunno

82SeriesWatcher

Aug 5, 2011
as this gets closer, anyone else thinking that it's just too complicated and expensive to get from YYZ to the game. i mean the 3 night min hotel packages and the rates are joke. 300 a night for a crap hotel? please.

i have tickets to the Jan 1 game and honestly, thinking about selling them if I can.

i don't want to have to drive and park at the game and hotels are sold out in Ann Arbor unless you pay 3 nights, and there is no reason for me to bother being in that crap hole for more than 1 night and even now, i wonder whether best option is to drive down, go to game, drive home to Tonroto after game...

any idea what time the game is on?

i personally think people are getting ripped off and the NHL putting the game in a city with piss all for accomodation really picks my ass.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Wow thats actually a smart move. Didn't know you can cancel, thought all bookings were final.

Im going with 3 buddies and started looking for hotels today,but sadly many seem to be booked...

Yeah man - to be honest, I really lucked out.

We had travel & accommodation arranged for last year's Winter Classic, and as soon as they locked out and cancelled the start of the season (October - about a month before they officially cancelled the Winter Classic), I called up cancelling my booking and made arrangements for the following year (this year).

Normally they don't do the cancelling crap (obviously - it's going to be SO busy), but because I did it so early and because I got a few really cool people on the phone I think they were willing to help me out a bit.

I wouldn't expect people to have that sort of luck now, however.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Staying at a Holiday Inn about 20 miles out of AA. Cheap rate (>$100) on NYE.

Driving down from KW with the wife on the 31st.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Im as pumped as you are. My girlfriend bought me tickets and paid for 1 night at some hotel 20 minutes away from the arena for my birthday.

Shes also driving too and from the game.

A bunch of friends are going down, so we'll party for new years, go to the game and head back the same day. We do have to work the next day...

Should be amazing

82SeriesWatcher

Aug 5, 2011
Yeah man - to be honest, I really lucked out.

We had travel & accommodation arranged for last year's Winter Classic, and as soon as they locked out and cancelled the start of the season (October - about a month before they officially cancelled the Winter Classic), I called up cancelling my booking and made arrangements for the following year (this year).

Normally they don't do the cancelling crap (obviously - it's going to be SO busy), but because I did it so early and because I got a few really cool people on the phone I think they were willing to help me out a bit.

I wouldn't expect people to have that sort of luck now, however.

yup...no luck here. tenatively booked a room at the MGM Detroit...but then have to worry about how to get to the stadium if I want to drink....if i don't plan on drinking, then i may as well just drive down from Toronto to the game, bring a BBQ and tailgate and cook some food, eat, go to the game and drive home....no interest in the alumni game for me and no interest in spending new years in Detroit or AA really.

UMich games are a cluster fuuuck as well so this is no different....i doubt there will be any organized official transport from downtown detroit to the game?

BTW my seats are Section 1, mid 30s row.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
as this gets closer, anyone else thinking that it's just too complicated and expensive to get from YYZ to the game. i mean the 3 night min hotel packages and the rates are joke. 300 a night for a crap hotel? please.

i have tickets to the Jan 1 game and honestly, thinking about selling them if I can.

i don't want to have to drive and park at the game and hotels are sold out in Ann Arbor unless you pay 3 nights, and there is no reason for me to bother being in that crap hole for more than 1 night and even now, i wonder whether best option is to drive down, go to game, drive home to Tonroto after game...

any idea what time the game is on?

i personally think people are getting ripped off and the NHL putting the game in a city with piss all for accomodation really picks my ass.

The game is usually during the day. My guess would be a 3pm start time. The only way I see the game being scheduled late is if there are weather complications. I'm pretty sure you can make it a day trip. Leave at 9 and you should get there with some time to spare. Say the game ends by 7, you'll be home before midnight.

82SeriesWatcher

Aug 5, 2011
The game is usually during the day. My guess would be a 3pm start time. The only way I see the game being scheduled late is if there are weather complications. I'm pretty sure you can make it a day trip. Leave at 9 and you should get there with some time to spare. Say the game ends by 7, you'll be home before midnight.

that is what i figure, but since wife does not like to drive in the winter, she is the one that gets to gets to have a few pops....a charter doing a day trip would be freaking ideal, even if it leaves very early since one could just pass out from NYE

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
yup...no luck here. tenatively booked a room at the MGM Detroit...but then have to worry about how to get to the stadium if I want to drink....if i don't plan on drinking, then i may as well just drive down from Toronto to the game, bring a BBQ and tailgate and cook some food, eat, go to the game and drive home....no interest in the alumni game for me and no interest in spending new years in Detroit or AA really.

UMich games are a cluster fuuuck as well so this is no different....i doubt there will be any organized official transport from downtown detroit to the game?

Probably want to check with the hotel that you are staying at, but I bet bottom dollar that THERE WILL BE some sort of transport from downtown DET to the game.

Keep in mind the number of people that will be there. Not just fans, but team employees, NHL employees, NHL alumni, player's families, broadcast staff from both sides of the border, etc etc etc etc etc.

There will definitely be something - my guess is that a lot of this sort of stuff goes into consideration as to whether or not Detroit even got the Winter Classic in the first place. Considering almost all major North American Sports towns have the abiilty to hold an outdoor game, but only a few are considered each year...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not going to the Winter Classic but here is a heads up for those driving down. When you get off the 401 in Windsor there is a lot of construction going on in the area around there. I saw it this past August when I drove to Orlando, Florida and my entry point to the United States was the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit, so I first went through Windsor.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
No Way! How much are you paying?

well, as my cable bill will probably be due around that time. LOL a lot more than I wanted. hehe but cheaper than actually going to the game

82SeriesWatcher

Aug 5, 2011
Probably want to check with the hotel that you are staying at, but I bet bottom dollar that THERE WILL BE some sort of transport from downtown DET to the game.

Keep in mind the number of people that will be there. Not just fans, but team employees, NHL employees, NHL alumni, player's families, broadcast staff from both sides of the border, etc etc etc etc etc.

There will definitely be something - my guess is that a lot of this sort of stuff goes into consideration as to whether or not Detroit even got the Winter Classic in the first place. Considering almost all major North American Sports towns have the abiilty to hold an outdoor game, but only a few are considered each year...

NHL employees, NHL alumni, player's families, broadcast staff from both sides of the border, etc etc etc etc etc. are most certainly going to have pre arranged transport from Detroit....

i personally, don't share your optimism that something will be organized officially from downtown detroit. but perhaps i will be wrong.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
I'm not going to the Winter Classic but here is a heads up for those driving down. When you get off the 401 in Windsor there is a lot of construction going on in the area around there. I saw it this past August when I drove to Orlando, Florida and my entry point to the United States was the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit, so I first went through Windsor.

I live in the area and it doesn't adversely effect anything, shouldn't be a factor. I'm just going to drive across nice and early I think. Park and Grab some lunch in Ann Arbor somewhere and then head to the game, can't wait!!!

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not going, not trying to be a debbie downer but I just don't have the patience to get there, and deal with all the crap when it comes to traffic, booking a hotel, etc..Also a little advice for the people who are going. Bring lots of booze, I can't even imagine what the line-ups would be like. Sneak in a couple of flasks and you should be nice and warm in no time lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->