The Star: Winter Classic: Leafs-Red Wings back on, source says

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...assic_leafsred_wings_back_on_source_says.html

It’s all still very hush-hush, but the Maple Leafs and Red Wings will indeed play next January in the NHL’s next instalment of the Winter Classic.

This year’s game, scheduled for New Year’s Day, was cancelled due to the lockout. It was expected to draw 110,000 fans.

But the Star has learned that the NHL is closing in on final talks with officials at the University of Michigan for use of its football stadium, and with the Detroit Tigers for use of Comerica Park in what would be a weeklong festival of hockey capped of by the NHL game.

“My guess is we will officially announce plans in early spring,†a source told the Star.

This will be the Leafs’ first appearance in the Winter Classic. The Red Wings have been part of it before.

Leafs Nation is expected to turn out in droves to help the NHL set a record for the highest single-game attendance in its history.

When the 2013 version of the game was cancelled, it was widely expected the Leafs and Wings would simply delay the game a year.

The 2014 game is expected to have all the bells and whistles of the one that was cancelled, which included AHL, OHL and university games at Comerica Park in the week leading up to the Winter Classic.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Just went through my email, and I received one from the Leafs at the beginning of November. I decided to keep mine. I'm pretty sure if I didn't my friends would have hated me.

Were you given any incentive to keep them?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
My friends and I got a package through a tour company, and we were offered either retaining our package for next year or getting a full refund. However, with the refund, we still get first dibs/access to packages for the 2014 event. So we're fine either way.

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
This was already talked about a long time ago. Publicly stated that the cancelled winter classic would resume next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese