Winter Classic in South Bend looks to be an attendance disaster

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Is the old Blue Bonnets racetrack still standing

With Temporary seating they could really utilize that site more so than Molson stadium.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I think attendance issues for this game can be attributed to money.

The tickets just cost too much to justify traveling to South Bend, and sitting outside on January 1. Between tickets, travel, and lodging, it would cost me almost as much as a vacation to Punta Cana. As much as I love the Bruins, that’s just too much money for a working-class joe like myself to attend a single regular season hockey game. I’d rather go on the vacation for a week in the Caribbean!

As others have said, the novelty has worn off. It’s a blatant money grab for fat-assed billionaires who want an excuse to sell more jerseys and sell out bigger venues.

No thanks. I’ll be heading south for some quality beach time instead.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
They have, I just find it weird that they haven't hosted one, that's all

Well... where would they host one? They don't really have a viable outdoor venue that would be significantly bigger than Bell, so there doesn't seem to be a huge reason from the NHL's perspective. Olympic is indoor and a bit of a dump from what I understand now, and the CFL stadium is only a couple thousand seats more than Bell, so the price gouging opportunities for the NHL aren't much higher.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Well... where would they host one? They don't really have a viable outdoor venue that would be significantly bigger than Bell, so there doesn't seem to be a huge reason from the NHL's perspective. Olympic is indoor and a bit of a dump from what I understand now, and the CFL stadium is only a couple thousand seats more than Bell, so the price gouging opportunities for the NHL aren't much higher.

It's impossible now, but expanding Saputo stadium just like BMO field would've been the right option.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I wanted to go but the drive killed it... I could deal with the flight, a hotel in Chicago and taking some time off work but no one wants to be the DD, I've heard the train sucks and the private buses are a pain to set up with only a small group of people going...

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
The attendance issues can be resolved by papering to the local population. It just means less revenue for the NHL.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I believe it was demolished a few months ago. It was in a really delapidated condition.

I have always thought it would have been a good location for Expos 2.0

que-racetrack-demolition-20180425.jpg

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
I have always thought it would have been a good location for Expos 2.0

que-racetrack-demolition-20180425.jpg

It's got a lot of issues from the standpoint of access. There is a metro station nearby (Namur, around a kilometer away) but traffic on the adjacent Decarie and nearby 40 is always heavy (a lot of the reason residents aren't crazy about the proposed shopping complex nearby), so it would be difficult to get to for people coming in from the suburbs or from downtown after work.

The current thought is the Peel Basin which would also be near a new stop on the new REM light rail, easy to transfer to from all 3 metro lines and a decent walk from the downtown core. With the new development in Griffintown it would be an ideal location.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Not buying that the novelty has worn off. At least not watching live. Watching on TV, sure. Played in the right venue between the right two teams, it can be an awesome, albeit expensive experience live.

Boston/Chicago WC made more sense in 2014, fresh off their cup finals matchup. Makes no sense 5 years later.
Despite being Original 6 teams, there's really not alot of history between the two teams/fanbases, especially in the post expansion era. That 2013 cup final is practically it.

Last edited:
Reactions: skeena1

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
I was just looking at Ticketmaster, and actually it looks like it's selling really well. Quite a few re-sales available, but that doesn't matter as the seats are sold

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Friedman saying that Regina has a good shot at hosting an outdoor game

Interesting. Wonder which team's would be in play. Winnipeg and Edmonton or Calgary would make the most geographic sense or would they go to Toronto and/or Montreal which would be a safe draw.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I could see Calgary wanting in on that in some misguided way of putting pressure on their city regarding their arena. "Oh, you won't pay for a new arena for us? How about only forty home games this season in the city now!"

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I could see Calgary wanting in on that in some misguided way of putting pressure on their city regarding their arena. "Oh, you won't pay for a new arena for us? How about only forty home games this season in the city now!"
You think that would put pressure on the city? Losing 1 home game?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Not buying that the novelty has worn off. At least not watching live. Watching on TV, sure. Played in the right venue between the right two teams, it can be an awesome, albeit expensive experience live.

Boston/Chicago WC made more sense in 2014, fresh off their cup finals matchup. Makes no sense 5 years later.
Despite being Original 6 teams, there's really not alot of history between the two teams/fanbases, especially in the post expansion era. That 2013 cup final is practically it.
I agree. The outdoor games are great to attend. I have attended 2 outdoor games and loved both (Yankee Stadium, Citi Field). It was bitter cold both days, and I loved it. But, in all honesty if the Rangers were in one again in the next 2-3 years, I would probably pass. At the very least, wait until the day before and buy only if ticket prices dropped. Think they have gone to the well 1 too many times with the Blackhawks and Bruins. Need to rotate in some new blood.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I could see the Flames organization thinking that.
Well, then they must have some sense of humor. I could see a city official laughing at them, "Oh, we are supposed to spend HOW much money to give you a new arena to prevent us from losing the tax and other revenues that come from ONE regular season game?"

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hawks fans - team's bad and the outdoor novelty has been lost, why drive to freaking Souh Bend?
Bruins fans - team's okay but the outdoor nicely has been lost, why fly and drive to freaking South Bend?
Irish fans - more focused on their football team almost assuredly playing in the college football playoff to care.

In other words, for the three fanbases targeted, three strikes and the stadium will still likely be 90% sold even if the butts aren't in the seats. Could be better, but all things considered could be a helluva lot worse as well.

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
It was 38 degrees in Florida last night. Under these conditions, a Lightning-Panthers stadium series doesn't seem all too far fetched if it can be done on a January or February night, where we do get the cold snaps for this to make it work. Probably wont ever happen, but its just a pipe dream.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
It was 38 degrees in Florida last night. Under these conditions, a Lightning-Panthers stadium series doesn't seem all too far fetched if it can be done on a January or February night, where we do get the cold snaps for this to make it work. Probably wont ever happen, but its just a pipe dream.

The LA Kings played an outdoor game in Las Vegas during the Gretzky era, so it’s radily possible. Ice will be complete garbage though.

Anyway, enough with the gimmick outdoor games. They have lost their appeal. At most, do one per year.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The outdoor games have been played out. Its fun if the game is in your city so you can celebrate your team/ market's hockey history, but I don't care if its anywhere else. I think the possible inconsistencies of the ice due to rain, snow or being too warm ruin the actual game, and I would hate if that would end up costing a team a playoff spot one day. The outdoor game concept jumped the shark the year there were 6 outdoor games, and it completely ruined what should have been a great Canada/ USA World Junior game last year. Maybe the All Star game should be played outside and that's it from now on, or at least long enough for the sentimental value of playing outside to return (at least 10 years)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad