Winter Classic a Terrible Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
A temperature of 27° is less than (read: cooler than) 35°, which is what the original poster said the game time temperature was in the Vegas game.

+27 and +35 are both brutal, and are both utterly ridiculous temperatures if people are talking about holding a hockey game. Yes, yes, I know..."grow" the sport to new fans, blah blah blah. Nothing will change the fact that something is off about a temperature near the +30 zone (i.e. extreme summer heat) during a hockey game in what is supposed to be "winter".

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If it generates revenue and interest, they should stick with it I guess.

But I agree - it's a pretty crappy product. And the hype the league tried to generate over it was ridiculous. You'd think it was Game 7 of the Finals.

Fans are a mile away from the ice, cameras are even further away. Ice is crappy.

For me the first one in Edmonton a few years ago was an interesting novelty, but at this point that novelty is gone.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Revenue wise, the NHL has struck gold. ratings gold, that is.

To put it in other terms, the NHL has created a brand new bargaining chip out of nothing that will surely have an impact when the new TV deal and CBA.

This is something that they can offer up to TV networks in exchange for favorable schedules/broadcasting rights/ money. It is a great thing for the NHL if you ask me.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
The only thing I didn't like was when watching the HBO series the Winter Classic was made out to be the NHL's big spectacle of the year.

I always thought that was the Stanley Cup Finals....

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
+27 and +35 are both brutal, and are both utterly ridiculous temperatures if people are talking about holding a hockey game. Yes, yes, I know..."grow" the sport to new fans, blah blah blah. Nothing will change the fact that something is off about a temperature near the +30 zone (i.e. extreme summer heat) during a hockey game in what is supposed to be "winter".

You seem to be awfully worked up over a 20-year old preseason game.

chi777

Feb 23, 2006
What they need to do is drop the stupid All-star game entirely for the Winter Classic. The All-star game is truly horrible product. Players who don't care lazily skating around, stupid fan voting, no defense, no hitting, and no fun to watch. The Winter Classic is at the very least a competitive game between two competitive teams that are usually considered Cup contenders with a couple of stars each.

They should dump the All-star game completely, move the skills competition to the afternoon of the Winter Classic, and then play the Winter Classic game at night. Players on the either of the two teams have the option to skip the skills comp if they want.

My Plan:

1. Alumni game at 1pm
2. Skills comp at 3pm
3. Profit
4. Winter Classic game 7pm

straka91*

I think it should be right before the playoffs start. A grand opening ceremony to the best part of hockey. The 2 leading teams in points will face each other in a neutral location. Probably somewhere in the Northern US, Canada.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I think it's best kept the way of the original Heritage Classic, something that's only done once every few years. At least then there's something genuinely special and unique about the event. As-is it's starting to become bleh, particularly given that they're recycling the same teams in BOTH Classics now.

Agreed. However its' become so much of a cash cow for the league good luck getting that horse back in the barn. Ideally, Id dispense with the regular season tilts & use the format for the All Star Game's, Skills' Competitions', a week of festivities, and I'd alternate the games between southern (synthetic ice systems) & winter markets every other year, or, award the game automatically to whichever team won the Stanley Cup the preceding spring, playing tha SC Champions against the best of the best from North America & Europe. If the SC Team wins, they get 2 points. A North American vs. World All Star Game also played. Finally, the seating design & arena set-up needs to be jigged, bringing some intimacy to the games. As this plan would cost the league 2 events, wiping out both the Heritage & Classic, wont be happening. Mores the pity IMO.

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
Agreed. However its' become so much of a cash cow for the league good luck getting that horse back in the barn. Ideally, Id dispense with the regular season tilts & use the format for the All Star Game's, Skills' Competitions', a week of festivities, and I'd alternate the games between southern (synthetic ice systems) & winter markets every other year, or, award the game automatically to whichever team won the Stanley Cup the preceding spring, playing tha SC Champions against the best of the best from North America & Europe. If the SC Team wins, they get 2 points. A North American vs. World All Star Game also played. Finally, the seating design & arena set-up needs to be jigged, bringing some intimacy to the games. As this plan would cost the league 2 events, wiping out both the Heritage & Classic, wont be happening. Mores the pity IMO.

I figure with the all-star game, have an additional game: "Draft Pick Challenge" 15th ranked in East and West play. The winner gets first overall pick. The loser? 14th and last non-playoff pick.

The two teams would kill each other....:laugh:

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
From reading hfboards the past few weeks one could easily get the impression that "gimmicks" of any kind are worse than Hitler.

The NHL in the US serves a niche audience and for the most part serves it very well. But like all businesses, growth is the end game. The NHL traditionally gets very little press throughout the regular season and the Winter Classic for all it's faults brings the NHL exposure to a mass audience it wouldn't reach in the past. Some call it a gimmick, I'd say it's a spectacle. A gimmick would be awarding a trophy of some kind at the conclusion of the game. Whether this will bring a considerable amount of fans into the NHL/hockey fold in the long term I have no idea, but I can't see how it could hurt. I've been more than critical of a lot of the half-baked, desperate and failed attempts the NHL has invested itself into over the years to market the game. But this is one I think for the most part has succeeded in exposing the game and league in a positive light.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
The thing is, it really isn't a fan friendly experience (at least not live fan friendly). The sightlines are crappy, for one thing, and the conditions don't make for an offensive showcase. It's just pack them into a bigger than normal stadium and show the unusual event on TV when most people are at home to watch it.

It was fan friendly at the tailgating parties in the parking lot, plus there was lots to do around Heinz Field. The sightlines were okay (I was in the upper endzone), but fans were far away. When Malkin scored, there was a delay celebration since no one was sure he scored right away. It was a spectacle, that's for sure...

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
I think the notion of outdoor games are great but they're becoming more and more mundane - which isn't helped by the fact that they're now apparently going with two of them a year. The latest one was the worst of the lot - between the dizzying camera angles, piss-poor ice conditions, and complete lack of historic venue or memorable scenery, it was the first time I've ever actually been GLAD to have CBC forcing the Leafs down my throat. It was just a dull game that lacked any real sensation of being outdoors beyond the ****** ice quality and lack of spectators against the boards. To say nothing of the mountains upon mountains of media-induced Crosby-Ovechkin hype/ipecac that amounted to absolutely nothing come puck-drop.

I think it's best kept the way of the original Heritage Classic, something that's only done once every few years. At least then there's something genuinely special and unique about the event. As-is it's starting to become bleh, particularly given that they're recycling the same teams in BOTH Classics now.

Agree completely.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
I totally agree with the original poster. These outdoor games deep in the US at this time of year are a joke. The weather just doesn't cooperate. If you're going to do something like this, you've gotta be actually in Canada or the very northern tip of the US, and in late Jan. to middle Feb. Otherwise, you're going to regularly get warm spells like this, rain, etc.

I watched the game -- but only to hope Ovechkin blew out his knee and went on the IR for the season, so that we'd never have to endure one of these idiotic dog-and-pony shows for the US again. It's hard to believe so many of you are defending the game. With the crap ice, and the speed these guys play at, one rut could end the career of one of these superstars the NHL is whoring out.

Imagine if Crosby or Ovechkin did rip his knee up? Worth it then?

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
And the seating was just insane. Who would pay money for viewing angles like that? The fans in the first 50 rows couldn't have been able to see anything more than the players' helmets, and anyone up higher than that would need a live FoxTrax to see the puck.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
First, let me begin by saying that i am definitely swimming against the current here. Given all the media hype and NHL spin, I must say i certainly expect a bit of backlash from this post.

I find the event terrible, especially for a real game that matters for real points. The game in Pittsburgh had environmental variables that should never play a role in the outcome in an NHL game that matters for points. Rain? They played through rain? There isn't an outdoor rink in all of Canada that would see players skating in rain, and the NHL game itself has no semblance to anything you would see in any outdoor rink in Canada. Edmonton was another example of an unreal situation presented to the public as a heritage game, when in fact most outdoor rinks are empty at -30 degrees celcius. Does anyone recall the heritage game in Las Vegas at temperatures of +35 degrees celcius?

The whole thing is a sham that is as artificial as the ice they are skating on.

Another point to be made is about the players themselves. I doubt seriously seriously doubt that any of those players have skated on outdoor ice since they reached AAA hockey. These players are the best of the best, and have had everything catered for them, including the venues they play. I would bet that more than one of those players playing are thinking that this is just a stupid event that should never happen. But Bettemen and the NHL machine won't let anyone speak out against it. What would happen if a player is injured due to weather? Say a bad rut that causes a serious knee injury because of less than ideal ice. Sure it happens in indoor rinks, but if an environmental factor exacerbated the poor ice conditions, the NHLPA would be screaming about its members having to play in less than ideal conditions.

Of course the event itself should happen. it makes a lot of money. But the game that should be played outdoors is the NHL all star game, a game that doesn't matter. Having so much on the line (points in the standings) for a side show doesn't seem fair to the fans, to the players or to the League itself. It makes a mockery of the game.

Oh, and those fans making paper airplanes out of the programs and sailing them through the air! Such disrespect! They could put somebody's eye out! Or injure an ear! Somebody outta write a letter...

;)

As a kid, I played ice hockey in the rain, outside, years ago, on the South side of Chicago, and no one thought twice about it. No I take that back, there was this one kid's mom, a real yenta, kept calling after Herschel to get off the ice before he caught a death of cold. I remember he'd cringe and skate behind the net out of her sight when she would shriek "HERSCHEL! GET OFF THE ICE YOU'LL CATCH A DEATH OF COLD!" and of course the other guys would tease him "Herschel, better get off the ice mama says you'll catch a death of cold you don't want that". I think Herschel's doing 25 to life in Joliet if he hasn't made parole we kinda lost touch...

Seriously, as pampered as pro athletes are these days, it's refreshing that the players union doesn't take this whiny approach and cry they don't want to play outdoors. I remember the Dbacks used to have some pitchers who were pretty good pitchers but always wanted the roof closed when they pitched even on nights and days that just screamed for an open roof ball game.

The game is more fun to watch when they are playing in a blizzard though. And playing at night? Might be fun if you're there in the stands, but on TV it might as well be in an arena with the upper bowl blacked out.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
What they need to do is drop the stupid All-star game entirely for the Winter Classic. The All-star game is truly horrible product. Players who don't care lazily skating around, stupid fan voting, no defense, no hitting, and no fun to watch. The Winter Classic is at the very least a competitive game between two competitive teams that are usually considered Cup contenders with a couple of stars each.

They should dump the All-star game completely, move the skills competition to the afternoon of the Winter Classic, and then play the Winter Classic game at night. Players on the either of the two teams have the option to skip the skills comp if they want.

My Plan:

1. Alumni game at 1pm
2. Skills comp at 3pm
3. Profit
4. Winter Classic game 7pm

Why not play the All Star game outside instead of inside. And the winner gets home ice in the cup finals, similar to baseball.

What is it with this lately? Did the Canadian government issue a memo clarifying the true and holy name of the sport?

Yes, there was but it was written in french.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
I totally agree with the original poster. These outdoor games deep in the US at this time of year are a joke. The weather just doesn't cooperate. If you're going to do something like this, you've gotta be actually in Canada or the very northern tip of the US, and in late Jan. to middle Feb. Otherwise, you're going to regularly get warm spells like this, rain, etc.

I watched the game -- but only to hope Ovechkin blew out his knee and went on the IR for the season, so that we'd never have to endure one of these idiotic dog-and-pony shows for the US again. It's hard to believe so many of you are defending the game. With the crap ice, and the speed these guys play at, one rut could end the career of one of these superstars the NHL is whoring out.

Imagine if Crosby or Ovechkin did rip his knee up? Worth it then?

I'd be willing to bet the quality of the ice due to the attention paid to it is better, regardless of weather, than in some over-used arenas around the league.

When is the last time, even when the older barns were around that got mighty warm near the end of the year or in the playoffs, that you heard of a player 'catching a rut' and tearing his knee up??

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'd be willing to bet the quality of the ice due to the attention paid to it is better, regardless of weather, than in some over-used arenas around the league.When is the last time, even when the older barns were around that got mighty warm near the end of the year or in the playoffs, that you heard of a player 'catching a rut' and tearing his knee up??

Indeed. Or slipping on a Waffle.... :laugh:

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Indeed. Or slipping on a Waffle.... :laugh:

Seriously though....does anybody recall a career ending injury caused by ice conditions? I remember watching playoff games where you could see the ice melting in areas.

The last time somebody's career ended due to ice conditions was probably when they were playing on frozen lakes and ponds and somebody fell through. Even then it would have had to be a Claude Lemieux type guy that nobody really tried all that hard to save...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Seriously though....The last time somebody's career ended due to ice conditions was probably when they were playing on frozen lakes and ponds and somebody fell through. Even then it would have had to be a Claude Lemieux type guy that nobody really tried all that hard to save...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
On Monday night, a talking head on ESPN was given a chance to say whatever he wanted on the air for 30 seconds, and he talked about the Winter Classic. And he talked about how awesome it was, and he said that Penguins/Caps is the best Rivalry in North American Sports, better than Yankees/Red Sox. As crazy as many probably think that comment is, that exposure is worth every bit of pain in the butt that people think the winter classic may be. When you have the most watched NHL regular season game in 35 years, you must be doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->