Report: Winnipeg's True North attempting to land WHL franchise to share MTS with Jets

BWK Fan 97

Apr 1, 2013
On The Prairies
It would be awesome if we could get a second WHL team in Manitoba. Its not like there is a tone of extra travel for the visiting teams, and they'd have an instant rivalry with the Brandon Wheat Kings. there is more than enough hockey to go around in Winnipeg and all of Manitoba!

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I would rather see the league place teams in mid-sized cities like Nanaimo, BC, or Grande Prairie, AB.

I have a bit of news to share on the Grande Prairie front.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2013/04/01/crystal-centre-expansion-could-cost-44-million

You don't have to read the whole thing i'm just posting the link so you know i didn't make it up... you just have to read this part here:

If the City of Grande Prairie wants to expand the Crystal Centre, it’s going to cost $44 million to do it effectively, a report states.

Proposed expansion plans would increase seating capacity to 5,000 seats and the Bowes Family Crystal Gardens by 10,000 square feet.

The new expanded building (if they go ahead with it) would put us on par with Lethbridge i think in terms of building capacity and we are roughly the same size in terms of city population.

Something to keep an eye on for the future.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Nanaimo would be an awesome place to have a team. Currently have the Clippers but the arena is small and holds around 3,000. The interest is there I'd say in Nanaimo but they'd need a bigger arena.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
To the original post, True North sent out survey's today to gauge interest in WHL hockey for the Winnipeg market.

According to the True North release:
The purpose of the survey will be to gauge the potential interest in a Western Hockey League (WHL) franchise in Winnipeg, should an opportunity develop for this market. The survey will be sent to a sample group of current and former MTS Centre and Winnipeg Jets customers. Only those that are sent an email will be asked to participate in the survey at this time. We will continue to advise the media in the event there are further developments with respect to True North Sports & Entertainment and the Western Hockey League

http://illegalcurve.com/2013/04/05/...ential-interest-in-whl-franchise-in-winnipeg/

BWK Fan 97

Apr 1, 2013
On The Prairies
Serious bussing, how?

If a Major Junior team becomes a reality in Winnipeg there will be some serious bussing time! Also, may be difficult recruiting East Coast boys to play in -40°c! However, the positives would be an instant Wheat King rivalry and the fact that fans would be able to actually get affordable tickets! Hopefully this franchise would not affect the Winnipeg Blues (MJHL - Jr 'A')....
I would call them the Winnipeg Bone Chillers!:yo:

You do realize Brandon is only 2 hours from Winnipeg right? Teams have to come all the way out here anyways

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Does anyone know what's happening yet? If the survey has been completed. Dear Lord do I want junior hockey in Winnipeg over the next couple of seasons!

Rowdster

Apr 30, 2012
You have to read a couple of quoted posts, Rowdster was concerned about East Coast guys.

Sorry about the typo - I meant WEST Coast players! It might be a bit of an adjustment for a kid to move from Victoria to Winnipeg! TeeShirts to Parkas! I realize that many WHL players are draft or list players - however recruitment does play a large role.
Best of luck to the 'Peg - the Wheat Kings deserve a shorter commute!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Winnipeg got a WHL team would is signal the return of the Moose?

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
If Winnipeg got a WHL team would is signal the return of the Moose?
You mean would they name the WHL team the Manitoba Moose? No, since Brandon is already in the league.

If you mean would they get another AHL team in addition to the WHL team, no chance in hell. Supporting three teams of such stature would require a far larger population than Winnipeg possesses.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
You mean would they name the WHL team the Manitoba Moose? No, since Brandon is already in the league.

If you mean would they get another AHL team in addition to the WHL team, no chance in hell. Supporting three teams of such stature would require a far larger population than Winnipeg possesses.

I think he was just referring to the name. I'm assuming TNSE still have the rights to the name and logo. I think it would be awesome if they were to bring it back. Loved the logo and colours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->