Confirmed with Link: Winnipeg signs G Laurent Brossoit (1 year, 650k)

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
If Brossoit can maintain a level of play anything close to this throughout the season, you really gotta wonder what on earth are they doing at the Oilers organization to make everyone regress.

McDavid is regressing? :huh:

I'm trying to keep my optimism :laugh: in check with Swat. Maybe Helly's goalie whisperer has had a profound effect on his game. Maybe it's just small sample size. Let's see what he does through the season before talking long term commitments.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland

I'm trying to keep my optimism :laugh: in check with Swat. Maybe Helly's goalie whisperer has had a profound effect on his game. Maybe it's just small sample size. Let's see what he does through the season before talking long term commitments.

Yeah McDavid is not regressing obviously but you just forget to even mention him in those kinds of talks because it's obvious that he would do his thing no matter what. Let's see what he does through the season indeed but if he posts respectable numbers throughout, it's another case of a guy completely turning it around after leaving the oilers.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Well it's 2 games plus 1 or 2 in pre-season, that he's played great. The guy looks sharp, you have to admit. Right now his Save Percentage is .951 % - that's impressive, although only 2 games.

I just like the guy's stand up style, quiet body movement, and lighting fast glove hand. I think he's going to be a real "winner" for the Jets. Time will tell.

Welcome aborad Frenchy 2 :)

.941 .974
.970 .880
.921 .903
.769 .952
.1000 .919
.1000 .862
.957 .926
.938 .939
.955 .1000

Assuming Helle plays around 58 games, that gives Brossoit 24 or so games.

Those are Michael Hutchinson's first 24 games as a Jet, playing on worse Jets teams.

As someone else said, it's been 2 games.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
.941 .974
.970 .880
.921 .903
.769 .952
.1000 .919
.1000 .862
.957 .926
.938 .939
.955 .1000

Assuming Helle plays around 58 games, that gives Brossoit 24 or so games.

Those are Michael Hutchinson's first 24 games as a Jet, playing on worse Jets teams.

As someone else said, it's been 2 games.
If Hutch wanted to be here he would be imo. After jets signed him down he seemed like he wouldn't resign with the org.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Reading the Oilers board many say he was a good goalie until he lets in a soft one and then his confidence is gone. maybe playing with Helle will help stabilize his game

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Reading the Oilers board many say he was a good goalie until he lets in a soft one and then his confidence is gone. maybe playing with Helle will help stabilize his game

By my fuzzy memory, that showed up a bit in pre-season. He gave up goals in 2's. Then settled down again. No sign of it in his 2 real games so far though.

Maybe the Oil broke his confidence and it is getting rebuilt. Prior to his time with them he has a pretty strong resume.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He has been good so far but it's officially time to pump the breaks on the hype. It's been 2 games...

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
By my fuzzy memory, that showed up a bit in pre-season. He gave up goals in 2's. Then settled down again. No sign of it in his 2 real games so far though.

Maybe the Oil broke his confidence and it is getting rebuilt. Prior to his time with them he has a pretty strong resume.
Almost wonder if oilers have a culture of blaming the goalie. Been a gialtender graveyard for a while.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I am amazed and happy with his performance, I am confident he's good, but please everybody calm down and let's not get our hopes up too... much.

Either way this signing is a steal. Gotta wonder what's wrong in Edmonton.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was not happy going with him as our only option. TML waived 2 good backup goalies. Surely we could have had one of them for a 7th.

He has completely shown me wrong .... and I don't mind a bit. :laugh:
I wonder if Bucky might have put in a good word for him? Chevy had to have some basis for the faith he placed in the Croissant.

Reactions: Ducky10

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Personally, I need to see how he does against an actual playoff team. Like against Nashville or Toronto I'd feel pretty nervous. But he has been a nice surprise so far.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Complete rubbish. All one has to do is check out his career game log to see that is false:

Laurent Brossoit

I asked you this before Jets4Life-- but you never answered my question ?? What do you think of this Brossoit guy ?? I think he's the "real deal" and we have ourselves a real solid Goalie here, who could turn out to be as good, or better than Helle.

What do you think ??

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
He seems to be a pretty good pick up so far this season.
Yeah it’s only been 3 starts but he has looked pretty solid when I have seen him play.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
He’s been rock solid thus far.
Doesn’t swim often and looks really poised.
Sometimes a change of scenery does wonders.
Hope this continues

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Very impressed with Brossoit thus far, both with his style and results.
Of course it's a very small sample size and of course Helle is our #1 goalie, but consider this: if Brossoit had played to replacement-level Sv %( eg, Helle's current .907) in the 3 games he's played we could easily have lost all 3 and been sitting in the bottom half of our conference right now.
Instead, he is sitting at #3 in the league in Sv % and so are the Jets, in points.
As far as I can see, this is the biggest difference between the Jets this year and last, since the skaters (eg Laine) will almost certainly round into shape over time.
Also, just heard his PG interview and the kid is very poised and well-spoken.
Confidence and maturity are huge factors in the development of goalies. Very happy to see him displaying both and hope it continues.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Very impressed with Brossoit thus far, both with his style and results.
Of course it's a very small sample size and of course Helle is our #1 goalie, but consider this: if Brossoit had played to replacement-level Sv %( eg, Helle's current .907) in the 3 games he's played we could easily have lost all 3 and been sitting in the bottom half of our conference right now.
Instead, he is sitting at #3 in the league in Sv % and so are the Jets, in points.
As far as I can see, this is the biggest difference between the Jets this year and last, since the skaters (eg Laine) will almost certainly round into shape over time.
Also, just heard his PG interview and the kid is very poised and well-spoken.
Confidence and maturity are huge factors in the development of goalies. Very happy to see him displaying both and hope it continues.
He's playing with confidence. Throw him a bone one of these days after a solid game and play him two in a row. That will light a fire under Helly, competition in net is a great thing! You know how I feel about Helly but having someone push you can only help for overall team wins.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Was thinking he could give us 15 to 20 games, but if he keeps this up we might want to think of doing a 50/30 split to keep Helly really fresh come playoff time.

While he has made some big timely saves, he has managed his game very well, quiet in the crease with strong positioning. Might have found a really strong backup to make for a strong goaltending tandem

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Very pleased with the results Bro has delivered thus far. Like others have said, it is a small sample size and I would like to see how he fares against tougher competition at some point.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Was thinking he could give us 15 to 20 games, but if he keeps this up we might want to think of doing a 50/30 split to keep Helly really fresh come playoff time.

While he has made some big timely saves, he has managed his game very well, quiet in the crease with strong positioning. Might have found a really strong backup to make for a strong goaltending tandem
Agreed. If Brossoit can give us 30 solid games where we win at the same clip it will be huge for Helly to be fresh for the playoffs. Also gives you a legit option to go to if Helly ever struggles when it really counts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad