Proposal: Winnipeg Off-Season Acquisitions

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Jets main priorities this off-season needs to be addressing the 2C and top-4 RHD issue when Trouba is gone. Ideally, the C that comes in won't blow the doors off beginning next season, but has potential to work his way up to 2C by the end of the year. Some relatively big value contracts are coming off the books (Myers at $5.5M, Trouba at $5.5M when traded) and I would expect one of Kulikov or Perreault to be shipped off as well at a savings of $4.33M and $4.125M, respectively.

I would suggest that with a glut of high-end wingers who will be getting paid $$$, one of Ehlers, Wheeler, or Connor might be bundled with Trouba (signed) to target the following players:

WPG: Trouba and Ehlers/Wheeler/Connor

CAR: 2019 1st round pick, Hamilton/Pesce ,and Necas
LAK: Doughty and Kupari
PHI: 2019 1st round pick, Sanheim, and Frost

Does the package (a 1RHD and 1st line winger) appeal to CAR, LAK, PHI? Nobody will ever agree definitively on value, but are these in the same realm with small tweaks on either side as you see fit?

Last edited:

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
I would say Ehlers, with Trouba. Would get you the best deal. I doubt they trade Connor or Wheeler. I honestly think the Jets need a coaching pluss staff changes though

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Jets main priorities this off-season needs to be addressing the 2C and top-4 RHD issue when Trouba is gone. Ideally, the C that comes in won't blow the doors off beginning next season, but has potential to work his way up to 2C by the end of the year. Some relatively big value contracts are coming off the books (Myers at $5.5M, Trouba at $5.5M when traded) and I would expect one of Kulikov or Perreault to be shipped off as well at a savings of $4.33M and $4.125M, respectively.

I would suggest that with a glut of high-end wingers who will be getting paid $$$, one of Ehlers, Wheeler, or Connor might be bundled with Trouba (signed) to target the following players:

CAR: 11th OA, Hamilton/Pesce ,and Necas
PHI: 1st round pick, Sanheim, and Frost

Does the package (a 1RHD and 1st line winger) appeal to CAR, LAK, PHI? Nobody will ever agree definitively on value, but are these in the same realm with small tweaks on either side as you see fit?
Philly has the 11th OA

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

CAR: 2019 1st round pick, Hamilton/Pesce ,and Necas

Also, you’re not going to find really any Philly fans willing to trade Sanheim. Most have him above Provorov in regards to upside. His 2-way play could make him our most dynamic Dman.

Same with Frost- kid has
96G - 172A - 268P | 160GP | 131PIM w/ playoffs included just in the past 2 years. Not only that he has a bit of cockiness that this team needs.

That

11OA + Hagg + Rubtsov is an offer I would do for Trouba. Any deal involving Sanheim and Frost will likely be a no on behalf of most of not all Flyers fans.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Also, you’re not going to find really any Philly fans willing to trade Sanheim. Most have him above Provorov in regards to upside. His 2-way play could make him our most dynamic Dman.

Same with Frost- kid has
96G - 172A - 268P | 160GP | 131PIM w/ playoffs included. Not only that he has a bit of cockiness that this team needs.

That

11OA + Hagg + Rubtsov is an offer I would do for Trouba. Any deal involving Sanheim and Frost will likely be a no on behalf of most of not all Flyers fans.
From a value perspective that deal seems fair, but I don’t think Jets management would be okay with delaying the opportunity to make it far in playoffs by 2-3 years. Hagg would maybe crack our lineup next TC, who knows if German ever would, and the 11th OA likely doesn’t provide meaningful contributions until 2021 at the earliest.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
From a value perspective that deal seems fair, but I don’t think Jets management would be okay with delaying the opportunity to make it far in playoffs by 2-3 years. Hagg would maybe crack our lineup next TC, who knows if German ever would, and the 11th OA likely doesn’t provide meaningful contributions until 2021 at the earliest.
That’s true... your offer is most likely fair too, however, Frost looks like a budding star and Sanheim is already an underrated Dman that is already playing top pair min against top pair competitions and doesn’t look out of place.

Trouba is hitting RFA and we’d extend picks rather than players for that... which is why we’d hesitate to throw the 11OA pick + top prospect + one of our best Dmen for another top pair guy. Not saying Ehlers is a throw in, but wingers are a strong suit on this team. We’d likely target Trouba rather than the package

Reactions: SM

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Don't see Carolina being interested in giving Trouba that big contract he's in line for this offseason. Necas fills a big need as a guy that has potential to be that offensive 2C to go with Aho the all-around 1C and Staal the shutdown 3C.

Maybe a Hamilton or Pesce for Ehlers or Connor base is possible, but maybe not. Hamilton was outstanding in the 2nd half and Carolina can't afford to lose that offense from the backend. Pesce, likewise, was outstanding on both sides of the puck in 2019 and is one of those value contracts that Carolina, a budget team until further notice, needs to have. Faulk is the most expendable Top 4 RHD and he won't pull a quality piece given his contract term.

At this point, I think they're more likely to bank on Svechnikov and Necas' development than make any transformative move.

Reactions: MinJerkBen

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I don't think Ehlers gets you a Canes RHD you want without the Jets adding a big +; he didn't have a great year and is a guy who doesn't bring a lot when he's not scoring.

Conversely, Ham and Pesce are cornerstone guys for the Canes. I doubt Ehlers would be.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Not close. No interest in Hagg.
I feel like the 11OA is a pretty good base for someone who is looking to go the RFA route into a contract.

These valuations are arguably the most important thing regarding where Trouba is. If it’s likely he won’t resign outright... the 11OA is an extremely rich asset to pay for his rights.

If it’s a sign and trade... the 11OA is a fair price as a base. There may need to be + added on, however, Frost is most definitely off the table. I don’t think Chevy would put that ask up.

While I understand no interest in Hagg, Ruby is a good asset that is a relatively low cost- low risk high reward type player. Those pieces are usually enticing once said potential is tangible, but to each his own.

If it’s a rights trade- the 11th is off the table. If it’s a sign & trade- the + can be discussed, but you won’t get anywhere if Frost or Myers is in there. If that’s the dealbreaker then PHI should be just fine.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

man Trouba is getting heavily overvalued here. you ain't getting anywhere near that. that's the type of package that gets offered for #1's like Hedman or Jones. Trouba is a good D, but he's not a superstar. Sanheim will probably surpass him in a couple years, and Frost is untouchable.

11OA is a good starting point with some lesser pieces added. don't like it? that's fine. another team can overpay for him.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I feel like the 11OA is a pretty good base for someone who is looking to go the RFA route into a contract.

These valuations are arguably the most important thing regarding where Trouba is. If it’s likely he won’t resign outright... the 11OA is an extremely rich asset to pay for his rights.

If it’s a sign and trade... the 11OA is a fair price as a base. There may need to be + added on, however, Frost is most definitely off the table. I don’t think Chevy would put that ask up.

While I understand no interest in Hagg, Ruby is a good asset that is a relatively low cost- low risk high reward type player. Those pieces are usually enticing once said potential is tangible, but to each his own.

If it’s a rights trade- the 11th is off the table. If it’s a sign & trade- the + can be discussed, but you won’t get anywhere if Frost or Myers is in there. If that’s the dealbreaker then PHI should be just fine.
Cool. Philly is out then.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Wheeler is staying till he retires.

Ehlers would be my choice to go, but it'll all depend on what Connor wants.

But I did like Trouba++ for Doughty as it'd make sense but I think he's retiring a King.

Wonder if Philly would do Jacob Trouba for Nolan Patrick.

Jets have no chance of buying, more likely selling Trouba. Winnipeg also needs to try and see if they could find a taker for Bryan Little, which I doubt, and I'm heavily convinced Winnipeg will use him in 2021 in the expansion draft trading 1st + prospect/roster player but for now I'll say something alone the likes of Adam Lowry in order for Seattle to take Little.

Reactions: Andreas Ferrari

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad