Series Discussion: Winnipeg Jets vs Calgary Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Some thoughts about the upcoming series:

Our D is NOT as bad as everyone whines about. We started with an absolute cluster-f, added injuries to that and relied on waiver wire pickups to survive, which we did. Since then Pionk blossomed, we got Demelo, and we got healthy. Our D is not going to make any 'best' lists, but it is a well balanced, lunch box D. It is good enough to take us far with our weapons up front, as long as two things happen:
  • They stay healthy
  • Hellebuyck continues where he left off.
The problem with hockey is the analytics are still really unproven and there is still a LONG way to go to prove out certain stats and come up with a series of universally accepted metrics that paint an accurate story about teams.

Add to that the huge impact one player can have on a team's success (goaltender) and it futher muddies the water. Teams with excellent, consistent goaltending can adapt their strategy to use that to their advantage, just as teams with average goaltending need to address it through tactics to minimize high danger chances (don't get me started on how the stats community identify those)

The one thing I am concerned about is how we address Tkachuk. He's a dirty POS and you know he's going to target Pionk and Morrissey. Without Buff, we need someone who is going to step up and limit his effectiveness. Even though some like to think that toughness and physicality mean nothing in the NHL - they still account for a lot. They drive a lot of psychological factors in the game that there are no metrics for - factors that have a very large impact on the game especially in a series between 2 teams.

Bottom line is, this post season is going to have a lot of shocks in it. I think a healthy Jets squad has the best chance as any to go all the way this year.

The nice thing about Hockey is if they start targeting our players then we have guys like Lowry that can give it back to their stars too. Walt junior is going to be a pain in the ass but on balance Calgary is not an abrasiveness team in fact their fans complain they are the opposite and they wilted last year when facing Colorado in the playoffs. I know Luc was brought in for just that reason. Either way I think we will be fine in that category IMO.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Unraveling the status of trades, picks, contracts, seasons, playoff formats, integrity of the game, logistics, etc. is a complete nightmare.

But if I'm watching hockey, I will care very little about those.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Also, when I heard the plan, I quickly google "NHL playoff news" so I could see for myself. The first result in regular and under news was "NHL Playoff Plan: How is Toronto's First Round Pick Affected?"

So if I wasn't sure hockey was back at first, I was easily reassured. :rolleyes:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I 100% agree he was so much fun to watch in the playoffs when he was beasting.
If the Jets had won the cup two years ago, Scheif probably would have won the Conn Smythe but my vote would have been Buff.
Totally dominated in the first two series.
Loved watching him play against Minny and that was probably my favorite time of watching Buff play. They had no idea what to do with him whatsoever.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Canada USA border is closed for regular travel. Hockey players returning to work easily fall within the exemption laid out by the government of Canada.

Essential (non-discretionary) travel for a temporary worker
Your travel is essential (non-discretionary) if you’re in either of these situations:
You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada. This applies even if you’ve been laid off.
You’re a worker who
has a letter of introduction for a work permit (open or employer-specific), and
has a valid job offer, and
can work once you’ve completed your 14-day quarantine in Canada (unless you’re exempt)

Foreign national players would have valid work permits and normally live in Canada while performing their job.

They made rules for TFW's so that crops could be planted. Not so that hockey could be played. Entertainment is a long way short of being an essential business. I'm not at all sure how the rules would be applied.

I think the best way for the league to deal with these issues is to negotiate an arrangement with a lot of guarantees about self isolation in their home countries before they come back and behaviours and precautions once they get back.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They made rules for TFW's so that crops could be planted. Not so that hockey could be played. Entertainment is a long way short of being an essential business. I'm not at all sure how the rules would be applied.

I think the best way for the league to deal with these issues is to negotiate an arrangement with a lot of guarantees about self isolation in their home countries before they come back and behaviours and precautions once they get back.

My guess is the NHL will not take the risk of using a Canadian City as a Hub. Look for a states with a Governor who will be lax on COVID regulations (cough cough Dallas).

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Look at Flames odds. Ridiculous.
That is strange ... the sports talk shows I listened too all picked the Jets.
The first round always has surprises and it will be interesting how the players will play ... if they are worried about covid-19 or not. The ones that are worried will be probably be going home first.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Is he even eligible to play?
Why not. His college season is ended and he has signed a pro (NHL) contract, started May 2020. Can he handle the speed, skill of NHL thrown in a mini-playoff series after a shutdown of 3months, as his 1st intro to the top league.
Never know for sure until it is tried, proven.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why not. His college season is ended and he has signed a pro (NHL) contract, started May 2020. Can he handle the speed, skill of NHL thrown in a mini-playoff series after a shutdown of 3months, as his 1st intro to the top league.

There was a lot of rumblings that the NHL was indicating that all contracts signed during the stoppage would have a July 1st date or not be eligible if the season came back.

That is why I'm not sure if Samberg can play or not.

Nov 24, 2006
He’s not eligible. The contract does not start until the next season begins.

“Samberg's three-year deal will begin next season.”

Jets sign defenceman Dylan Samberg to a three-year, entry-level contract

Reactions: surixon

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Even if he was eligible, I don't think its wise to throw in a rookie player who hasn't even practiced with he Jets

Reactions: pictman

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Even if he was eligible, I don't think its wise to throw in a rookie player who hasn't even practiced with he Jets
Do you think he won't take part in training camp and practice with the team before the playins start?

He's not eligible, so it doesn't matter, but of course he'd take part in the mini training camp.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad