Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospects 2015 - #17

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I think it's safe to say that, of the players left, none of the players below will likely ever make a meaningful impact on the team.

Mason Appleton
Austen Brassard
Gennaro
Aaron Harstad
Marcus Karlstrom
Tanner Lane
Julian Melchiori
Nelson Nogier
Brennan Serville
Peter Stoykewych
Ivan Telegin
Matt Ustaski

Then we have the group below. Of the 12, could we get perhaps 3, maybe 4 if we're really lucky.
J.C. Lipon
Jimmy Lodge
Axel Blomqvist
Erik Foley
C.J. Franklin
Jack Glover
Brenden Kichton
Pavel Kraskovsky
Ryan Olsen
Jamie Phillips
Tucker Poolman
S. Niku

So, that STILL leaves us with our top 16 prospects and we already have perhaps 3 or 4 players that could make an impact from below that. Simply amazing.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
They weren't issued qualifying offers, and were signed to AHL contracts with the Moose. They aren't Jets property anymore.

Ok, so we're being pedantic. They're practically FAs.

Me? Pedantic? Never. :D

Removed them from the poll, I agree that they're essentially no longer Jets property.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Are we going to continue the ranking past 20? That certainly makes sense, otherwise guys like Lipon might not even make the list :amazed:

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I can't believe Foley and Kraskovsky are blowing away Lipon. I get he had an off year but he was great in junior and had a 40+ point and 130+ PIM rookie season in the AHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I can't believe Foley and Kraskovsky are blowing away Lipon. I get he had an off year but he was great in junior and had a 40+ point and 130+ PIM rookie season in the AHL.

Kraskovsky is still 18 years old (doesn't turn 19 until September). He was almost eligible for the 2015 draft. That factors into my assessment for him.

I think Lipon could turn into a useful 4th liner, but I think that Kraskovsky has a higher ceiling that Lipon.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
17. Foley
18. Kraskovsky
19. Poolman
20. Kichton
---
21. Phillips
22. Glover
23. C.J. Franklin
24. J.C. Lipon
25. Niku

I like the fact that we picked up Kichton after the Islanders didn't offer him a contract, only to dump Lukas Sutter on the Islanders.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
17. Foley
18. Kraskovsky
19. Poolman
20. Kitchen
---
21. Phillips
22. Glover
23. C.J. Franklin
24. J.C. Lipon
25. Niku

You can't possibly put Franklin above Lipon - Lipon already has a 41 point AHL season and looks to be a potential 3rd/4th line agitator while Franklin is a long shot to ever make the NHL

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think it's safe to say that, of the players left, none of the players below will likely ever make a meaningful impact on the team.

Mason Appleton
Austen Brassard
Gennaro
Aaron Harstad
Marcus Karlstrom
Tanner Lane
Julian Melchiori
Nelson Nogier
Brennan Serville
Peter Stoykewych
Ivan Telegin
Matt Ustaski

I'm not sure it is such a good idea to say that Appleton and Gennaro are never going to make it to the Jets lineup, considering we just drafted them less then a month ago. Also, Nogier is only 19.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I'm not sure it is such a good idea to say that Appleton and Gennaro are never going to make it to the Jets lineup, considering we just drafted them less then a month ago. Also, Nogier is only 19.

I agree with these three as possible still...... Out of the ten that was listed by mud as no future in the NHL. We have to give Appelton and Gennaro at least a draft+1 year b4 you cast them aside. Also I'm still big on Nogier hoping for a big year in his draft plus 2 year. He is on Ref Deer and will be on the host team for the Memorial Cup. He has to have a big year to earn a ELC by June 1 st 2016.

Edit.... I think Nogier stood out at this summers Development camp

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

"none of the players below will LIKELY ever"...

I think it's fair to say they will never likely make it (according to the percentages). But, if we could get one or two out of those lower picks, that would be awesome!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
You can't possibly put Franklin above Lipon - Lipon already has a 41 point AHL season and looks to be a potential 3rd/4th line agitator while Franklin is a long shot to ever make the NHL

Maybe you're right. It's a bit of a crapshoot the further down the list you go. C.J. Franklin did have a really good year playing for Minnesota State.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
"none of the players below will LIKELY ever"...

I think it's fair to say they will never likely make it (according to the percentages). But, if we could get one or two out of those lower picks, that would be awesome!

Problem is, you can say that about the majority of picks, outside the 1st round.

At this point in time, we really cannot tell if Appleton, Nogier, or Fernando Pisani's cousin are going to make it or not. Zach Redmond, Paul Postma, Tobias Enstrom, Grant Clitsome, and Dustin Byfuglien have all been late round picks.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Poolman is not a better prospect than Lipon...They are the same age and the year before last Lipon was busy putting up 42 points in 72 AHL games while Poolman was playing in the USHL. Lipon had a below average season last year on bad team but Poolman wasn't even a regular at his natural position in college at 22 years old.

I have no idea why Poolman gets so much love around here?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Poolman is not a better prospect than Lipon...They are the same age and the year before last Lipon was busy putting up 42 points in 72 AHL games while Poolman was playing in the USHL. Lipon had a below average season last year on bad team but Poolman wasn't even a regular at his natural position in college at 22 years old.

I have no idea why Poolman gets so much love around here?

Really like both of these players although right now I'd put Lipon ahead of Poolman. Can't quite put my finger on what I like about Poolman, but every time I've seen him he's impressed me. He seems calm back there and definitely has some skills. Maybe it's just rooting for the underdog.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Really like both of these players although right now I'd put Lipon ahead of Poolman. Can't quite put my finger on what I like about Poolman, but every time I've seen him he's impressed me. He seems calm back there and definitely has some skills. Maybe it's just rooting for the underdog.

He has tools and size I won't deny that but again the fact that he is turning 23 next year and hasn't been a regular at his natural position at the NCAA level is a pretty big concern for me.

I don't know know how he is going be jumping to the AHL within a couple of years when the only real success he's had at his natural position is as D+1 and D+2 player in the USHL, where I would say considering his age and the skill level of the league the success was pretty moderate or maybe a little better.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
He has tools and size I won't deny that but again the fact that he is turning 23 next year and hasn't been a regular at his natural position at the NCAA level is a pretty big concern for me.

I don't know know how he is going be jumping to the AHL within a couple of years when the only real success he's had at his natural position is as D+1 and D+2 player in the USHL, where I would say considering his age and the skill level of the league the success was pretty moderate or maybe a little better.

There's no doubt that when he gets his shot this year at UND he's going to need a massive breakout year. This is his year to put it all together and dominate.

Really looking forward to seeing Lipon in person this year. Hope he puts it all together this year as well.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Maybe you're right. It's a bit of a crapshoot the further down the list you go. C.J. Franklin did have a really good year playing for Minnesota State.

Good is relative.

Most (but not all) NHL players are not still in the NCAA at Franklin's age, as they are too good for the league at that point.

Problem is, you can say that about the majority of picks, outside the 1st round.

At this point in time, we really cannot tell if Appleton, Nogier, or Fernando Pisani's cousin are going to make it or not. Zach Redmond, Paul Postma, Tobias Enstrom, Grant Clitsome, and Dustin Byfuglien have all been late round picks.

Difference between the list of prospects in the beginning and Postma, Enstrom, Clitsome, and Byfuglien is their scoring numbers.
You cannot tell if they are going to make it or not, but you can say that players that score like Appleton, Nogier, Genarro make it quite rarely compared to the players who score like Lipon, Lodge, Kichton, etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad