Speculation: Winnipeg Jets to get 3rd Jersey next season - with a new logo

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
the majority of sports teams are named after something (vaguely) threatening. Kings, Mercenaries/knights, Native Americans (really? still?), Bandits, Carnivores, Birds of Prey, Bees, natural disasters. A team specifically named after a weapon of destruction is a little uncouth, though, in our current political climate. It is sort of grandfathered in.

There are bad people in the world that would happily impact your life in a negative way to further their own needs or beliefs. On an individual level, we have police forces to keep that in check as much as possible. When it rises to the level of governments, you need a military. Weapons (be it rifles, jets, bombers, etc) are a necessary part of maintaining the largely good societies we enjoy in our countries. It will be that way for some time to come I'm afraid.

Reactions: Klinger

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
There are bad people in the world that would happily impact your life in a negative way to further their own needs or beliefs. On an individual level, we have police forces to keep that in check as much as possible. When it rises to the level of governments, you need a military. Weapons (be it rifles, jets, bombers, etc) are a necessary part of maintaining the largely good societies we enjoy in our countries. It will be that way for some time to come I'm afraid.

You're missing the point. And are probably not alone doing so. Nobody denies the justification for the existence of those things. It's simply about questioning the need of having to name sports teams after it.

Reactions: HannuJ

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You're missing the point. And are probably not alone doing so. Nobody denies the justification for the existence of those things. It's simply about questioning the need of having to name sports teams after it.

I get your point. And I'll even agree that calling the newest team the Las Vegas Riflemen would have been a really, really bad choice. I just think in this case you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Aggression is a part of sports, and it's natural to pick names that reflect that. I don't feel I'm expressing pleasure in the loss of human life by cheering on a team called the Jets, in much the same way that you can enjoy the widespread bloodshed of a GoT episode.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
I get your point. And I'll even agree that calling the newest team the Las Vegas Riflemen would have been a really, really bad choice. I just think in this case you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Aggression is a part of sports, and it's natural to pick names that reflect that. I don't feel I'm expressing pleasure in the loss of human life by cheering on a team called the Jets, in much the same way that you can enjoy the widespread bloodshed of a GoT episode.

Well we do kinda have that "Winter is coming" vibe in the Peg, so we do have a little GoT bloodshed warning for other teams ;)

Lars65

Useless Git
Sep 6, 2011
Winnipeg
What's this all about now? While the current iteration of the Jets' logo is indeed militaristic, last I checked, a jet is a type of engine mainly used in a variety of aircraft. A fighter jet is a specific type. So going back to the old jumbo jet for a logo should make everything better, right?:sarcasm:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
With so many people being offended by team nicknames these days, perhaps all teams should only go by the name of the city in which they are based. Teams in cities with more than one team like New York can go by names such as New York 1 and New York 2.

:jets

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Comparing a knight to a Jet in that way is just silly and you know it. A knight was a person with a specific purpose, similar to a policeman in the modern age. Sometimes that person kills for that purpose.

The other thing is an object speficially designed to be a precise killing machine. Do you really think someone would create a team called the "tanks"? Or "semi automatic rifles"? A Jet is kine of in a weird spot here - sure it mainly flies and is cool therefore. But let's not kid ourselves, its main purpose is to be as efficient as possible in taking out a specific target. Bottom line: yeah no, I highly doubt there would be someone naming their newly created AAA franchise "Jets" anymore.

Why am I even explaining this :laugh:

No reason to get defensive about it. That doesn't mean the Winnipeg Jets are bad or anyone here is a bad person for cheering for a war machine. Oh and before the argument of "but hey, there are Jets with no guns only for the means of transportaion" comes up - sure there are. But those are not the kind of Jets we're talking here.
I am, in fact, cheering for a war machine. I would be just as pleased if our team was called the Ballistic Missile Subs, the Attack Helicopters or the Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot Anti-Tank Rounds. War machines give us the ability to make war. Which is an excellent deterrent to making war upon us.

All that said, have you never seen the Jets 1.0 80's logo? That's definitely a passenger plane.

Reactions: Halberdier and Jet

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
gonna bump this bad boy.
this week, the Devils announced their 3rd jersey (original candycanes. bleh). Yesterday, Chicago and the Bruins announced their Jan 1 logos (both awful).
i'm guessing that the Jets are right around the corner.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
gonna bump this bad boy.
this week, the Devils announced their 3rd jersey (original candycanes. bleh). Yesterday, Chicago and the Bruins announced their Jan 1 logos (both awful).
i'm guessing that the Jets are right around the corner.

Looks like none of those teams are timing annoucements so as to get training camp off "with a bang."

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I've been holding off on ordering a new jersey until this one is announced.

At this point I'm just looking for any interesting Jets news to get excited about.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I have a little update as well. Talked to my buddy after hockey last night:
  • The blue in that dominates the Jets 3rd is called 'Aviator Blue' and is between Baby Blue and Royal Blue on the color pallette
  • The Jets will also wear the Heritage Classic jersey a couple of times in February, for what he called "heritage events" If I was guessing it would be some kind of player honors or even a game between one of our old Smythe rivals where they wear a throwback too? They will be making custom white jackets with the Jets HC logo and scheme. Not sure if they will offer them for sale but I might be able to get my hands on one *crosses fingers*
  • The Jets equipment manager is a pain in this guys ass :laugh: Of all the NHL teams, he is by far the most needy, wanting to see every piece of apparel in every color and asking for a bunch of custom shit.
I am really really tempted to show everyone my sketch because I feel it's been too long but I do not want to get my friend in trouble. I hope it comes out soon.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
  • The blue in that dominates the Jets 3rd is called 'Aviator Blue' and is between Baby Blue and Royal Blue on the color pallette
  • The Jets will also wear the Heritage Classic jersey a couple of times in February, for what he called "heritage events" If I was guessing it would be some kind of player honors or even a game between one of our old Smythe rivals where they wear a throwback too? They will be making custom white jackets with the Jets HC logo and scheme. Not sure if they will offer them for sale but I might be able to get my hands on one *crosses fingers*
  • The Jets equipment manager is a pain in this guys ass :laugh: Of all the NHL teams, he is by far the most needy, wanting to see every piece of apparel in every color and asking for a bunch of custom ****.
I am really really tempted to show everyone my sketch because I feel it's been too long but I do not want to get my friend in trouble. I hope it comes out soon.

That gives us the exact colour. Aviator Blue is the lighter blue on the current jerseys.
Winnipeg Jets unveil new jerseys | CBC News

And I think you've posted enough that your friend would already be in trouble by now, if it was going to happen. So, feel free to post your sketch with a clear conscience that no bad will come of it. Or just PM it to me, so I can join the ranks of the secret society of Illuminati with their arcane knowledge. :D

Reactions: Jet

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
If they are bringing back the HC jerseys, I wonder if Adidas is going to make some to sell?

As for the 3rd jersey - if it's the same light blue on our current jerseys, then I have a feeling that these will be very disappointing. I don't like that shade of blue, but to each their own.

Reactions: HannuJ

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If they are bringing back the HC jerseys, I wonder if Adidas is going to make some to sell?

As for the 3rd jersey - if it's the same light blue on our current jerseys, then I have a feeling that these will be very disappointing. I don't like that shade of blue, but to each their own.

Yeah, this is the problem with art - you won't make everyone happy. For me, I think I like them better than our primaries - but to be honest I don't like our primaries or our new logo. *shrugs*

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Picturing a new jersey with that aviator blue being more dominant, I wonder if the team first wears them in Finland. Seems to me they would slightly resemble some of the team Finland jerseys?

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm glad to hear about the HC jerseys. I'll never get tired of seeing them. It would be nice to see them wear them against the Montreal Canadiens or another O6 team.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I am, in fact, cheering for a war machine. I would be just as pleased if our team was called the Ballistic Missile Subs, the Attack Helicopters or the Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot Anti-Tank Rounds. War machines give us the ability to make war. Which is an excellent deterrent to making war upon us.

All that said, have you never seen the Jets 1.0 80's logo? That's definitely a passenger plane.

What a wonderful hockey team name:

Winnipeg Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot Anti-Tank Rounds. Abbreviation APFSDSATR, easy. Instead of Whiteouts, there could be H.E.A.Touts on playoffs. "Go Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot Anti-Tank Rounds Go" would get old fast, though.

I got nostalgic right away when I did read that name. We had 286 (or 80286), also called AT back in the day. And running DOS, of course. One of the most fascinating games and even more fascinating game manuals for late 80's was Abrams Battle Tank. Or M1 Tank Platoon, can't be sure. SABOT ammo sounded so cool, though the alternative H.E.A.T was not bad either...

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I'm glad to hear about the HC jerseys. I'll never get tired of seeing them. It would be nice to see them wear them against the Montreal Canadiens or another O6 team.

guessing you'll see them vs the Canucks (with the Skate coming back).
hopefully we never ever ever see them against the Oilers ever again

Reactions: Trilliann

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
  • The Jets equipment manager is a pain in this guys ass :laugh: Of all the NHL teams, he is by far the most needy, wanting to see every piece of apparel in every color and asking for a bunch of custom ****.

if it's the jets' 2nd blue on their current jersey, then i'm a bit disappointed. i don't dig that shade.

heritage classic jersey? hell yes.
those white jackets? wear them to weddings, bar mitzvahs and MORE!

Reactions: Jet

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
My two cents.

As a species we are simply devolving into overly sensitive invertebrates who are more of a virus or plague upon it's home planet.

If you are offended by our team being called the "Jets" than may god have mercy on your soul or if you don't believe in god than may a meteorite strike you when you least expect it.

If I offended anyone, you can buy discount tissues at your local Dollarama.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
My two cents.

As a species we are simply devolving into overly sensitive invertebrates who are more of a virus or plague upon it's home planet.

If you are offended by our team being called the "Jets" than may god have mercy on your soul or if you don't believe in god than may a meteorite strike you when you least expect it.

:popcorn:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
My two cents.

here's my hot take:
you think you're funnier than you actually are.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Man, if they are going to keep the heritage jerseys around, why don't they just make them the official 3rds? I won't complain though - the more of those jerseys, the better
A lighter blue jersey will be interesting, I hope it's nice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad