Winnipeg Jets sellout streak ends at 332

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Even after the Winnipeg non-sellout, another game failed to sell out, apparently, against the Islanders: 15,023 out of 15,325 or so.

Nitpicky, perhaps, but trouble often starts in little segments like this, not drastically.

Oh, and only 15,300 in Buffalo again tonight, although a Monday vs. Arizona. But it's a "hockey city," and off to a great start.

Sort of unfair to bash Carolina, Florida and Arizona fans for not supporting their team after years of futility when decent hockey markets are having trouble selling out all games. Yes, I realize that tix in those non-traditional markets are much cheaper and more promos are offered, but still...

Oh, and a few NBA cities don't sell out every game, either, in fairness to NHL fans.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
To me insane prices coupled with 4K home viewing have made going to a game a tough call.

Leafs tickets are going to be a minimum 250-300 EACH for upper bowl, 450-800 each for lower bowl. Once you get there you have deal with $20 beers, $15 hamburgers and other assorted garbage pricing.

Sitting at home I can watch the Leafs in 4K on my 65" Sony from the comfort of my couch with my track pants on and free drinks.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
He never did because he couldn't take any team away but it fits into the idiotic narrative that Bettman hates Canada even though he did everything he could to bring the team back to Winnipeg.
Some people don’t understand his job is to be the mouthpiece for the owners. He said exactly what the Jets owners wanted him to say.
Who is going to say “we need to sellout every night or this won’t work” True North or Bettman? If True North says it they have to deal with the bad taste they left in people’s mouths from the beginning, if it’s Bettman then the fans there already don’t like or trust him and he becomes the villain in some eyes. “Let’s sell out every night and prove that SoB wrong” becomes the rallying cry for the fans and team.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Winnipeg is the smallest market in the league and has an NHL, AHL and WHL team. How many other markets have two of those never mind all 3? If this starts becoming a trend I see the Moose being relocated.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Winnipeg is the smallest market in the league and has an NHL, AHL and WHL team. How many other markets have two of those never mind all 3? If this starts becoming a trend I see the Moose being relocated.
That, and the fact that they don't exactly have the most appealing weather for driving, finding a place to park, and walking from there to the rink. Even the most devoted fan bases will lose a few ticket sales in those kind of conditions

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada

Ottawa is in a similar situation, as they have the Senators competing with the 67's (OHL) and Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL). Of course, it's a little different in the sense that the three are competing against each other with different ownership groups, whereas the Jets and Moose are both owned by TNSE and if this becomes a major problem, the Moose will be the ones who are relocated.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
That, and the fact that they don't exactly have the most appealing weather for driving, finding a place to park, and walking from there to the rink. Even the most devoted fan bases will lose a few ticket sales in those kind of conditions

Are you deliberately ignoring how many thousands of indoor parking stalls are available for Jets games and do not require a fan to walk outside from their car to the game? Or are you like most people on here and expressing an opinion from a position of ignorance?

Reactions: Fidel Astro

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Are you deliberately ignoring how many thousands of indoor parking stalls are available for Jets games and do not require a fan to walk outside from their car to the game? Or are you like most people on here and expressing an opinion from a position of ignorance?
harsh, you seem to have misinterpreted what he wrote. but i am glad to now know that people can drive to a jets game in february and only have to grab a light sweater. ;)

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Haha what? Sorry you're having a bad day

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
harsh, you seem to have misinterpreted what he wrote. but i am glad to now know that people can drive to a jets game in february and only have to grab a light sweater. ;)

Why is that harsh? It take less than 10 seconds to Google up "Winnipeg jets parking" and read: "there are some 7,000 stalls within a five-minute walk of Bell MTS Place and more than 13,000 within a ten-minute walk". Another 45-60 seconds will uncover the indoor parking (Portage Place, Convention Centre, etc.) which is connected to the arena by heated walkways. But instead of educating themselves, people prefer to offer opinions or speculation or theories or just-make-stuff-up rather than do a 60 seconds search.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Why is that harsh? It take less than 10 seconds to Google up "Winnipeg jets parking" and read: "there are some 7,000 stalls within a five-minute walk of Bell MTS Place and more than 13,000 within a ten-minute walk". Another 45-60 seconds will uncover the indoor parking (Portage Place, Convention Centre, etc.) which is connected to the arena by heated walkways. But instead of educating themselves, people prefer to offer opinions or speculation or theories or just-make-stuff-up rather than do a 60 seconds search.
what exactly did he make up? that it's really cold in winnipeg in the winter? that people walk from their cars to the arena? that driving during a snowstorm isn't fun? you seem to be attributing things to him that he didn't say and then got all huffy about it. nobody's taking your team. :)

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Show someone what you wrote and my reply and have them explain it to you.
So you mean to tell me that they have indoor parking for every single fan that attends the game? If not, then re-read what I initially wrote and think about for a second. Lol it wasn't an attack on your precious little team. Take a breathe

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
You can find free street parking within a 10 minute walk of the MTS Centre. Bundle up and save that $20. Heck, half the trip is indoors after you get into the Convention Centre, so there is no excuse.

Reactions: Fidel Astro

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
No, that's not what I wrote. Learn how to re-read.

How about you reply to the rest of what I wrote, instead of choosing small pieces to reply to, to try and look smart?

Neither one of you is looking very smart right now. :help:

Good grief.... the Jets aren’t going to suddenly just go away because an 8-9 year sellout streak ended. It should serve as a notice to TNSE though that they may have finally reached a price point limit and will have to make some adjustments.

It’ll be interesting to see how they handle it.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Neither one of you is looking very smart right now. :help:

Good grief.... the Jets aren’t going to suddenly just go away because an 8-9 year sellout streak ended. It should serve as a notice to TNSE though that they may have finally reached a price point limit and will have to make some adjustments.

It’ll be interesting to see how they handle it.

Based on how TNSE have operated so far...I'll tell you how they are going to handle it....

You don't want to pay the price we ask? Fine...Next person in line please.

So far they have done everything based on the assumption they have an unlimited supply of fans willing to step up and pay whatever they want regardless as to how they are treated. Yeah... it's about to get interesting.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com

The weather isn’t as much of an issue as you might think.

That first non-sellout was during an unprecedented storm that knocked down trees all over the city and left hundreds of thousands of Manitobans without power - some for days. The average winter is a cakewalk compared to that.

Yeah, it’s really cold, but we still have to get ourselves to and from work, kids to school, go to the grocery store, etc. All the normal stuff doesn’t stop during a Winnipeg winter... we just put on more layers.

...so I would honestly be shocked to hear that anyone who lives here would be dissuaded from going to a Jets game due to cold weather.

I’ve parked outside and gone to games (usually Moose because the Jets are too expensive, which is the real problem) when it’s -30 out. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of indoor walkways in downtown Winnipeg. We’re a winter city. We’re prepared for shitty winter weather, for the most part.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Wpg will have to freeze prices at some point. I'm a part STH and enjoy the games as much as I ever have, but if I had to put a realistic $ value on it? Probably far less than what I'm paying.

Reactions: mondo3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad