Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets select Skyler McKenzie with the #198 pick

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This is fine for a 7th...I mean, these are all longshots at this point. If he's the next Chase DeLeo it's a win.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
4400IQN.png

loved this pick. These are exactly the types of guys/overagers i'd love to see the team swing on in the 7th round every year.

That being said, with last season being his only big one, I'd probably through a little cold water on what our projections say.

He's still probably better then 70% of who got drafted in the 7th round this year (hell, he's likely better then 70% of those who got drafted in the 7th in his first year of eligibility) but i'd feel mor comfortable if there'd been a little bit more production the last two years.

Either way, really solid value pick, even if it wasn't one of my two faveys (Matt Timms and Sean Durzi)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
loved this pick. These are exactly the types of guys/overagers i'd love to see the team swing on in the 7th round every year.

That being said, with last season being his only big one, I'd probably through a little cold water on what our projections say.

He's still probably better then 70% of who got drafted in the 7th round this year (hell, he's likely better then 70% of those who got drafted in the 7th in his first year of eligibility) but i'd feel mor comfortable if there'd been a little bit more production the last two years.

Either way, really solid value pick, even if it wasn't one of my two faveys (Matt Timms and Sean Durzi)

I was waiting for you to chime in. I'm glad you and Rheged are doing these charts again as they are very helpful and informative.

Judging by your reaction so far, safe to say you are much more happy with this draft than last draft?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I was waiting for you to chime in. I'm glad you and Rheged are doing these charts again as they are very helpful and informative.

Judging by your reaction so far, safe to say you are much more happy with this draft than last draft?

Much!

Unfortunately the first two picks were the hardest for me to get excited about, due to being Euro League and HSH draftee's, that we know we aren't generally good at projecting.

There were also a couple of guys i was really excited about that I'd preferred in those slots (hague and gadjovich).

But from the 3rd round on I was a happy boy. Kovacevik, Gawanke, and Mckenzie were fantastic IMO. Goalie is a goalie is a goalie. and Virtanen is a really interesting pick besides the numbers. I have no way of knowing what he'd comp to due to playing so few games, but he's an interesting player to say the least.

That being said, i am fairly excited about Vesalainen for a couple reasons: A) every time chevy's said they were surprised that player was still available it's looked pretty damn good (Trouba, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic), and secondly, he's a guy who seemed to fall due to "interviews".

I get excited about those guys, because while that may be a good reason to avoid a guy at the high end of the draft, if you can get a "bad interview" with top 10 talent at 24, you take that chance over a 24-30 talent every time.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Much!

Unfortunately the first two picks were the hardest for me to get excited about, due to being Euro League and HSH draftee's, that we know we aren't generally good at projecting.

There were also a couple of guys i was really excited about that I'd preferred in those slots (hague and gadjovich).

But from the 3rd round on I was a happy boy. Kovacevik, Gawanke, and Mckenzie were fantastic IMO. Goalie is a goalie is a goalie. and Virtanen is a really interesting pick besides the numbers. I have no way of knowing what he'd comp to due to playing so few games, but he's an interesting player to say the least.

That being said, i am fairly excited about Vesalainen for a couple reasons: A) every time chevy's said they were surprised that player was still available it's looked pretty damn good (Trouba, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic), and secondly, he's a guy who seemed to fall due to "interviews".

I get excited about those guys, because while that may be a good reason to avoid a guy at the high end of the draft, if you can get a "bad interview" with top 10 talent at 24, you take that chance over a 24-30 talent every time.

Good summary. Most on point summary I red about us picking Vesalainen to date.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Just watched the highlights and I have some thoughts.

Speedy. Quick release. Very nice backhand. I also thought he'd benefit from Glass in a more visible way and more often.

*Edit*

Shift-by-shift was fun too. He moves really well - better than the Jets other Winterhawks. He's a quality shooter too, though I suspect some of his goal total is from favorable percentages. I like how he hawks pucks. Passing could use a bit of work.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->