Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets select Santeri Virtanen:#105 Overall

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Eliteprospects knows :nod:
They seem to only use native speakers

I could spend the day pushing that button. So soothing. Any hint of Santería-related sacrifices to some questionable gods, totally missing.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Stay away from trying Henri Chokiharju though. The boy did the same thing as Laine and pronounced his own name wrong when asked, but the Eliteprospects guy on the other hand sounds to be more in love with him than the Blackhawks organization who sent $21M of cap just to announce his name.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Stay away from trying Henri Chokiharju though. The boy did the same thing as Laine and pronounced his own name wrong when asked, but the Eliteprospects guy on the other hand sounds to be more in love with him than the Blackhawks organization who sent $21M of cap just to announce his name.

hahaha Kristian did too @0:39 -> "Viissalai...vesalainen" :laugh:

But it happens to me too, you kind of have to completely readjust your mouth to speak English and then go back to say one Finnish name...
With Rally-English you don't have such problems :laugh:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I always roll my R's at Portage Meats. Gimme a half dozen brrratvoorrrst and rrrouladen. I figure if they think I'm German, I'll get the good stuff. :laugh:

Betcha the TSN/SN guys still call him Vir-TA-nen.

Great shop, especially the brats and roast beef/pork, but they speak pretty spotty German :rolly::trolly:

My Finnish colleague is saying VEERtAHten. I'll stick with Virts.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
But it happens to me too, you kind of have to completely readjust your mouth to speak English and then go back to say one Finnish name...
With Rally-English you don't have such problems :laugh:

Esa Tikkanen already tried it. It works on the opponents, but the downside is that teammates couldn't understand Tikkanese at all. :laugh:

I would fully advocate our guys embracing Rally-English though. Especially if it would yield as awesome results as it did in WRC. And I don't mean only several championship titles but also interviews. (Exhibit A: Marcus Grönholm)

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Esa Tikkanen already tried it. It works on the opponents, but the downside is that teammates couldn't understand Tikkanese at all. :laugh:

I would fully advocate our guys embracing Rally-English though. Especially if it would yield as awesome results as it did in WRC. And I don't mean only several championship titles but also interviews. (Exhibit A: Marcus Grönholm)

It's been done, and in impossible-to-surpass fashion by Jari Kurri's speech at Teemu Selanne's jersey hoist.

"Teer vasn't mats lehvt ohv te taiers."

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'll be keeping a close eye on Virtanen. He was always an intriguing pick to me, but I also thought he stood out in the Dev Camp scrimmage. I wonder if his injury could have let a diamond fall into the rough.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg

My Canada Day weekend has been uneventful and my wife just wanted to lay on the couch and watch medical dramas... I got a lot done. :laugh:

Last edited:

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
One thing people/fans are forgetting about Santeri Virtanen is that he's very good in the faceoff circle. We desperately need is to control the puck starting in the circle. How many times did our PP start from our own end!? We need a key faceoff guy. He's our man.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
One thing people/fans are forgetting about Santeri Virtanen is that he's very good in the faceoff circle. We desperately need is to control the puck starting in the circle. How many times did our PP start from our own end!? We need a key faceoff guy. He's our man.

Even if he's stromg on the dot and he makes the NHL, it usually takes a few years for a player to come out on top in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad