Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets select Santeri Virtanen:#105 Overall

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I'm happy that, after grabbing a winger with the first pick, we're now grabbing a bunch of D and (potential) C. I also like picking what might be a "diamond in the rough" with this later round draft pick, given that he missed so much time this past year due to a shoulder injury, but looked pretty good before that.

Moar Finn!

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
If he is buddies with Patrik then I like the pick even more. I have never heard of this young man ever before. I'm already confident that between us and Vancouver, we have the better Virtanen, though. :)

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Never heard of him but I like the fact he's Finnish

edit: He's Slovakian. Oh well at least he sounds Finnish

edit: Oh wait he IS Finnish. That's a relief

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Relatively unproven power forward with skating issues. Not thrilled with this one.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
He scores well enough, but is also noted for his two way game. I don't expect much, but I'm excited to see what he can become. I suspect we'll be watching him in the WJHCs at minimum.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I really like this pick at this point in the draft. Nothing to lose here. I am optimistic that he actually plays in the NHL one day.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So much negativity, Mort. I'm trying to be more optimistic today. ;)

Yeah but you are still more pessimistic than me and you know it. :laugh:

I tried to be as optimistic as possible. I think Vesalainen is the wrong player. Not a bad player, just wrong for the Jets. Actually he may have been the BPA and he may turn out very well. His position is well filled on the Jets for the foreseeable future. But I still had high hopes for the next couple of rounds.

I'm not particularly happy with the next 3 picks either though and after that it is just throwing darts. I don't hate the players taken but I think there were better ones available.

Looking at who was left on the board at each of our picks I would have taken:
24 - Conor Timmins RD
43 - Josh Brook LD
74 - Evan Barratt C LS
105 - Noel Hoefenmayer LD

136 - Leon Gawanke RD
167 - Arvid Holm G
198 - Skyler McKenzie LW/C overage
211 - Croix Evingson LD overage

I might even have taken Hoefenmayer earlier. I think he could be a dark horse, under the radar steal. JMO

Makes it hard to like the draft though. I'll feel better halfway through next season when Chevy's picks are all killing it in their various leagues and mine are all spinning their wheels but for now I am disappointed. Nothing but a bunch of misfits and long shots.

Come on Chevy, cheer me up! Get a goalie.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What. a unproven player needing to work on his skills taken in the 4th round. What were you expecting.

He is unproven relative to his peers and skates poorly relative to his peers.

Noel Hoefenmayer was still available when he was taken.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Yeah but you are still more pessimistic than me and you know it. :laugh:

I tried to be as optimistic as possible. I think Vesalainen is the wrong player. Not a bad player, just wrong for the Jets. Actually he may have been the BPA and he may turn out very well. His position is well filled on the Jets for the foreseeable future. But I still had high hopes for the next couple of rounds.

I'm not particularly happy with the next 3 picks either though and after that it is just throwing darts. I don't hate the players taken but I think there were better ones available.

Looking at who was left on the board at each of our picks I would have taken:
24 - Conor Timmins RD
43 - Josh Brook LD
74 - Evan Barratt C LS
105 - Noel Hoefenmayer LD

136 - Leon Gawanke RD
167 - Arvid Holm G
198 - Skyler McKenzie LW/C overage
211 - Croix Evingson LD overage

I might even have taken Hoefenmayer earlier. I think he could be a dark horse, under the radar steal. JMO

Makes it hard to like the draft though. I'll feel better halfway through next season when Chevy's picks are all killing it in their various leagues and mine are all spinning their wheels but for now I am disappointed. Nothing but a bunch of misfits and long shots.

Come on Chevy, cheer me up! Get a goalie.

See what happens when I try to be optimistic? Someone comes along and shoots down my reasons for being so. Now I'm all negative again and it's all Mort's fault. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad