Winnipeg Jets select D Luke Green (3/79)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Was going to tack this onto the Stanley thread. Copied it here instead.

On a bit of a tangent, I thought at the time that I preferred Green to Stanley. Now I'm not so sure.

In D-1 he looked like a sure fire 1st round pick. 36 pts in 60 games is very good for a D man in D-1. In his draft year though, he had essentially the same production, 35 pts in 61 games. That would explain him still being available at 79. In his D+1 year he had the same production again. 37 pts in 60 games. Unless there is some explanation he appears to have plateaued in D-1. That is not good.

I wouldn't use too much of the SNB numbers. Sometimes he was playing forward because that team was too staked at D.

6th highest p/gp defender in the Q for his age or younger
5th highest if you just look at his SNE numbers.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't use too much of the SNB numbers. Sometimes he was playing forward because that team was too staked at D.

6th highest p/gp defender in the Q for his age or younger
5th highest if you just look at his SNE numbers.

That's encouraging. But stupid question, what's SNB & SNE? St John New Brunswick & Sherbrooke ?? :laugh:

Really hoping he does well with the Moose next season. He and Niku could give that team a boost.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Anyone hear how Luke Green's recovery is coming along? He was expected to be out 4-5 months after shoulder surgery following his injury at the Young Guns tourney back in early September. We're about 3 months in, but haven't seen anything on the matter since his QMJHL team made the initial announcement.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
8 pts in 6 games since returning.

Heard he's been their best defencemen since coming back. Unfortunate he missed so much development time this season but seems to be in top form. Will be a nice addition to the Moose during the playoffs as I'm pretty sure Sherbrooke is already eliminated from the playoffs.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Heard he's been their best defencemen since coming back. Unfortunate he missed so much development time this season but seems to be in top form. Will be a nice addition to the Moose during the playoffs as I'm pretty sure Sherbrooke is already eliminated from the playoffs.

I haven’t followed Green very much. Is he good at defending as well or is he more of a Brenden Kichton type?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I haven’t followed Green very much. Is he good at defending as well or is he more of a Brenden Kichton type?

More of an offensive type. Really really good skater, loves to join the rush. His defence isn't amazing but it's decent enough. He's probably more of a Niku type. Good passer, good shooter.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The skating alone separates him from Kichton.

Also size, hard to overcome small and slow as a defender in the NHL like Kichton would have to do. Green has good size along with great skating.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I thought I read somewhere (from aih link below)that knock on green was he was not coachable.

Perhaps injury time allowed him to learn game from the press box. May have benefited somewhat.

2016 Top 25 Under 25: #25, Luke Green

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg

Actually they already clinched a playoff spot. It's just the bottom 2 teams that don't make the playoffs in the Q. Maybe he can carry Sherbrooke through a few rounds. :)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Actually they already clinched a playoff spot. It's just the bottom 2 teams that don't make the playoffs in the Q. Maybe he can carry Sherbrooke through a few rounds. :)

I'm pretty sure it's top 4 in each division and their division is already all clinched. I could be wrong. I'd rather they go out in 4 games and he joins the Moose. I think it would be better for his development to go on an AHL playoff run compared to a Q playoff run.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm pretty sure it's top 4 in each division and their division is already all clinched. I could be wrong. I'd rather they go out in 4 games and he joins the Moose. I think it would be better for his development to go on an AHL playoff run compared to a Q playoff run.

Unless they changed it, last year they just did brackets based on overall standing. So out of 18 teams, 16 teams made it. #1 played #16 and so on. If it still works based on overall standings they'd play the Huskies as of today. Their season series is fairly even.

Would also like him in the AHL at any rate. He looks incredible out there.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Skating is pretty damn close if not in Green's favour. Niku has the nod in everything else.

Green is 1 or 2 inches taller than Niku with over 10 pounds more of meat on his bones... That should be a nod, no? Also if he does have overall better skating that’s pretty impressive(I’ve seen Niku skate and he’s pretty shifty and quick for a D-man) I haven’t really seen Green skate yet(Ive only seen one highlight of him undressing players on the PP), but add that to the fact he’s naturally bigger than Niku. Mmmm.. Mmmm... Good:thumbu:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Green is 1 or 2 inches taller than Niku with over 10 pounds more of meat on his bones... That should be a nod, no? Also if he does have overall better skating that’s pretty impressive(I’ve seen Niku skate and he’s pretty shifty and quick for a D-man) I haven’t really seen Green skate yet(Ive only seen one highlight of him undressing players on the PP), but add that to the fact he’s naturally bigger than Niku. Mmmm.. Mmmm... Good:thumbu:

Yeah Green has some great edgework and straight line speed. I don't want to hype it to much but it's good.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Fun random fact:
Luke Green is the only QMJHL defender in the top 125 point scorers under 10 games played... and he's right now at 68th. lol

That's how much he's scored in nine games. He's already 68th in the league in defensive points hahaha.

Reactions: KillEmAll83

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Skating is pretty damn close if not in Green's favour. Niku has the nod in everything else.

I don't know, I think they are pretty comparible with regards to puck control and their ability to rush the puck. I also think their shots are in the same ball park. Niku is more solid in his own end and I think he makes a better break out pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->