Winnipeg Jets schedule press conference for 8 pm tonight

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Winnipeg Jets announce Keith Fernandes as new General Manager

Winnpeg, Manitoba (CP)-

The Winnipeg Jets ownership group announced today that the club has hired Keith Fernandes (pronounced Ko-ol Keith) as the first general manager in franchise history. Fernandes has signed a multi-year deal, no terms were disclosed.

Fernandes, 26 has been inactive for over 5 years, and last held the position of General Manager with the Ottawa Senators. He resigned that post after he felt that he was unable to provide the level of commitment and dedication that is required of a HFNHL GM. He had led to the club to the Championship just the season prior.

The Jets had been auditioning several candidates but it was the strong recommendations of Sean Keogh, Brock Otten and Matthew Kershaw that made Fernandes stand out from the rest.

"He's alright. Not that bright but he'd suffice" said Keogh upon hearing the news.

"Never heard of him" replied Otten in an e-mail.

"He's a jerk. But the league needs a good punching bag. And in terms of punching bags there is no better" said Kershaw. Kershaw does not seem to have any lingering animosity over the fact that Fernandes presented an offer sheet to several Flames players at a time when the Flames were financially strapped for cash. "That was a long time ago. And those draft picks worked out well for this franchise. AND he's a jerk".

Fernandes for his part, did not seem to loose any of his trademark "charm".

"You know me. I don't care about rules. I don't care about conventional approaches. I do what I want to do, when I want to do it. My record speaks for itself. I won a championship. Who cares about the other years where the teams were not as good. I'm not trying to build a dynasty. I just want that ring baby. The rebirth of this franchise deserves a winner. I'll do my best to ensure that happens as quickly as this year. There are some solid pieces of this team but we need more than that to truly be competitive. Depth is as vital as having a star forward. As it stands, no one on the team is untouchable. NO ONE. Other than that, I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. 5 years is a long time to be away, so it might take me some time to get up to speed. However, once I'm settled in, I expect to do things the usual way. Brash. Boisterous. Bold. I expect to assemble a team that will be the same way on the ice."

Fernandes declined to take any questions. It remains to be seen if hiring Keith Fernandes will turn out to be the right move for the Jets in their inaugural year. Fernandes is regarded by many as a loose cannon and with little patience. The current Jets roster seems a few years removed from being a strong contender and a quick fix might not be the best approach for such a team. However, as he himself mentioned, Fernandes doesn't do things conventionally.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Welcome back Keith. I am sure you are going stay this time around and take the challenge of building a winning team.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
BTW, where do we get hold of you? (I'm afraid I no longer have your contact info in my history..)

Also, will you have time to address Winnipeg's pending contract decisions before the deadline?

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
BTW, where do we get hold of you? (I'm afraid I no longer have your contact info in my history..)

Also, will you have time to address Winnipeg's pending contract decisions before the deadline?

I'll be sending in the contract stuff tonight. Was going over it this morning (rules have changed since I was last around).

My MSN is [email protected]

For e-mail correspondence: [email protected]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad