Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
NHL prospect rankings: Top 50 players in NHL pipelines for 2018-19

16. Kristian Vesalainen, LW, Jets
Vesalainen is a dangerous power forward thanks to his ability to make slick plays from in tight. He can outthink and outmuscle defenders trying to thwart his rushes to the cage.

21. Sami Niku, LHD, Jets
Talk about the rich getting richer. Niku went from being Winnipeg's seventh-round pick in 2015 to winning the AHL's top defenseman award last year, in his rookie season no less.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba destroyed the NCAA at 18 and turned pro at the same age.
Samberg is definitely rawer and had less development prior to the draft, but he's a big strong and athletic D that looks hard to play against. He doesn't have Trouba's offense, but might have his defense, and he's very smart with the puck in his own zone. Maybe not a Trouba, but Josh Manson comes to mind.

The question for him when drafted was whether he had the hockey IQ to play against top competition. I think he's been showing that. He was an increasingly important defenseman on an NCAA champion as a freshman, a core D on the USA WjC team in D+1, and looks like a top pairing D on team USA for the WJC as a D+2. All the games I've watched have him displaying shutdown D without the puck, and really smart decisions and deft passing with the puck. He has a big shot that he'll start to use more as his offensive game develops.

Suffice to say, I'm really high on his potential.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Trouba destroyed the NCAA at 18 and turned pro at the same age.

Trouba was a force of nature during his D+1 season and was second only to Laine as far as impact at the same age by a Jets prospect in 2.0 history (come to think of it Kyle Connor had a pretty insane D+1 season too).

I do like the Josh Manson comparable and although Dylan is still raw he is further along than Josh was at the same age IMO. If Samberg ends up in the same zipcode as Manson impact wise in the NHL one day we will have won on the draft choice big time. I am looking forward to this upcoming season for him to view his development story.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think Samberg is going to be a core member of the Jets D sooner than many expect, and for a long time.

This will be an interesting season for him. If his offense takes a noticeable step forward and he shows progression in his overall game he could be a guy the Jets want to onboard as soon as the end of the season (like Copp). If his development is modest then I would not rush him and I would give him one more season in the NCAA. Last year was a big step forward in the second half of the season and I hope that trajectory continues but development can be quirky.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I caught myself listening to 1290 today for a brief stint and Kevin O was interviewing John Abbott from Vancouver about the Canucks situation. They covered a broad spectrum of topics and towards the end they brought up Quinn Hughes and Discussed how talented he is but the interesting part is right at the end of the interview Abbott mentioned unsolicited how good Dylan Samberg is (must have been watching him play with Hughes). He was raving about his game.
Yeah I've heard Samberg's name come up a couple times over the last few months by pundits outside the Winnipeg market, and every time it is with rave reviews. I really like the kids promise. With him and Niku in the system I have full confidence our left side will be set for years.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
N
NHL prospect rankings: Top 50 players in NHL pipelines for 2018-19

16. Kristian Vesalainen, LW, Jets
Vesalainen is a dangerous power forward thanks to his ability to make slick plays from in tight. He can outthink and outmuscle defenders trying to thwart his rushes to the cage.

21. Sami Niku, LHD, Jets
Talk about the rich getting richer. Niku went from being Winnipeg's seventh-round pick in 2015 to winning the AHL's top defenseman award last year, in his rookie season no less.
Niku seems to get alot of love and Appleton gets no respect outside of Winnipeg . Why is this ?

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If both Samberg and Niku can prove to be capable of top 4 minutes in a year or two that would go a long way in alleviating my concerns with the future of our defense. I wonder which one would be best suited to move over to the right side... IIRC they've both spent time on their offhand.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If both Samberg and Niku can prove to be capable of top 4 minutes in a year or two that would go a long way in alleviating my concerns with the future of our defense. I wonder which one would be best suited to move over to the right side... IIRC they've both spent time on their offhand.

Jets seem to like to run the offense from the d down the right so I would suspect Niku is the one who will move over. If they have known about the Trouba situation for a while it might explain why they have been deploying him on the right in the AHL.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Jets seem to like to run the offense from the d down the right so I would suspect Niku is the one who will move over. If they have known about the Trouba situation for a while it might explain why they have been deploying him on the right in the AHL.
if he is a d-bag he might start complaining of usage issues.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Pronman ranks 2 more teams:

22. Edmonton Oilers
23. Pittsburgh Penguins
24. Anaheim Ducks
25. Columbus Blue Jackets
26. Nashville Predators
27. Boston Bruins
28. Winnipeg Jets
29. Calgary Flames
30. Tampa Bay Lightning
31. Washington Capitals

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pronman ranks 2 more teams:

22. Edmonton Oilers
23. Pittsburgh Penguins
24. Anaheim Ducks
25. Columbus Blue Jackets
26. Nashville Predators
27. Boston Bruins
28. Winnipeg Jets
29. Calgary Flames
30. Tampa Bay Lightning
31. Washington Capitals
Can't see how the Pens are at #23 with their top two prospects being Sprong and Bellerive, and not much quality depth.

I think KV is the equal of Sprong, and I'd take a few of the Jets prospects (Niku, Samberg, Appleton) over Bellerive.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Can't see how the Pens are at #23 with their top two prospects being Sprong and Bellerive, and not much quality depth.

I think KV is the equal of Sprong, and I'd take a few of the Jets prospects (Niku, Samberg, Appleton) over Bellerive.

Those are exactly the two that he cites at the top of the list.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Nobody was even willing to risk a 7th on Bellerive? Now he is a top prospect?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nobody was even willing to risk a 7th on Bellerive? Now he is a top prospect?
I can't imagine the Jets trading Niku or Samberg for Bellerive. I think they're both better prospects.

At this point, I'd also take KV over Sprong, all things considered.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Never did I think that Josh Norris, Dylan Gambrell, Ryan Merkley formed the core of a top 21 prospect pool.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't imagine the Jets trading Niku or Samberg for Bellerive. I think they're both better prospects.

At this point, I'd also take KV over Sprong, all things considered.

:laugh: I first had that thought after looking at Bellerive's D+1 numbers. Then realized Pitt had already signed him. I posted it anyway because his draft year should have been good enough for somebody to risk a 7th. But I certainly wouldn't trade either Niku or Samberg for him right now.

Yeah, last year was D+3 for Sprong. He looks good but how good will KV look by D+3? I'd put money on better.

I don't think Jets prospect pool is in the top 10 anymore. Without actually comparing all 31 teams I would say somewhere in the 12-15 range. KV, Niku, Apples, Samberg are all pretty good prospects and there are a few others who are not bad. I can't see what Pronman is basing these ratings on.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Agree. I took off the homer glasses and looked again, just to be sure - and I still see a Jets team with a prospect pool somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Reactions: mazmin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad