Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Corey Pronman is ranking the farm systems of NHL teams over on The Athletic.

31: Washington
30: Tampa Bay
29: Calgary
28: Winnipeg

One of these things is not like other~

Anyways, he questions the strength of depth the Jets have, but acknowledges that it's not a worry _yet_.

Ranking of prospects from most likely to least likely NHL impact:

K.Ves
Appleton
Samberg
Niku
Spacek
Stanley
Poolman
Lemieux
Kraskovsky
Gustafsson
McKenzie
Comrie
Smith
Berdin
Suess

NHL farm system rankings: No. 28 Winnipeg Jets

And we didn't even get Kraskovsky in our top 25 lol

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

Anyways, he questions the strength of depth the Jets have, but acknowledges that it's not a worry _yet_.

K.Ves
Appleton
Samberg
Niku
Spacek
Stanley
Poolman
Lemieux
Kraskovsky
Gustafsson
McKenzie
Comrie
Smith
Berdin
Suess

Team Rankings seem all over the place this year. Perhaps more even as better drafting and development across the board.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

K.Ves
Appleton
Samberg
Niku
Spacek
Stanley
Poolman
Lemieux
Kraskovsky
Gustafsson
McKenzie
Comrie
Smith
Berdin
Suess

It’s hard to compete when you have no picks in the top 20 in two consecutive drafts.

That being said, the top 10 under 23 is stacked which is much more important imo.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

K.Ves
Appleton
Samberg
Niku
Spacek
Stanley
Poolman
Lemieux
Kraskovsky
Gustafsson
McKenzie
Comrie
Smith
Berdin
Suess

Welp, looks like the cupboards are bare again. :sarcasm:

None

Feb 22, 2012

A few things look a little off to me on that list. Considering what I know about how he ranks players I'd have expected Niku to be higher than he is and Samberg lower. I'm also surprised to see Kraskovsky above players like Gustafsson and Comrie while Harkins and Kovacevic are unranked.

Kraskovsky being that high is a head scratcher, while I was high on him a few years ago his progression has stagnated. He showed flashes of skill that never translated to points, he's a bottom 6 guy in the KHL and he'd probably be a role player at best if he came over to the NHL with his current toolset. He's the type of player teams put on waivers every year, so to me that's saying behind Lemieux there's no chance of an impact player.

On a sidenote he must have a pretty low opinion of Calgary as an organization, considering they're down with the teams that should be considered contenders.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ya its not like we dont have AHL top rookie D man or Forward in our cupboard or anything
Niku was the AHL's top D man - no rookie qualifier (although he also happened to be a rookie). So yeah, best defenseman in the AHL, AHL rookie of the year, and we haven't even got to Vesalainen...If 2 or 3 of those guys graduated to the NHL this year and the Jets trade their 2019 1st, then maybe the pool gets into 28th range.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Niku was the AHL's top D man - no rookie qualifier (although he also happened to be a rookie). So yeah, best defenseman in the AHL, AHL rookie of the year, and we haven't even got to Vesalainen...If 2 or 3 of those guys graduated to the NHL this year and the Jets trade their 2019 1st, then maybe the pool gets into 28th range.
Roslovic hasn't made it as a regular yet either. He'd be tops on that list. Petan and Dano have upside too.

cnauta

Oct 22, 2011
Roslovic hasn't made it as a regular yet either. He'd be tops on that list. Petan and Dano have upside too.

Isn't Roslovic the 3rd line RW for this year?
I would love to see Petan make it hopefully on the 3rd line C
Dano hasn't shown me much in the past couple years really. He can skate like the wind and get to the puck very quick, but he doesn't know what to do with it afterwards. Not much in the way of hockey smarts with this guy IMO

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Isn't Roslovic the 3rd line RW for this year?
I would love to see Petan make it hopefully on the 3rd line C
Dano hasn't shown me much in the past couple years really. He can skate like the wind and get to the puck very quick, but he doesn't know what to do with it afterwards. Not much in the way of hockey smarts with this guy IMO
Dano doesn't skate well. That's his biggest issue. He is great when he gets it. Coach has said as much too.

Reactions: Mathil8

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Lack of high impact players in their farm system right now, same as Washington and Winnipeg.
Foote, Katchouk, Raddysh are what then? Also, what do teams like Pittsburgh and San Jose have to rank above the bottom four?

Then again, Pronman's preferences differ from others'.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Foote, Katchouk, Raddysh are what then? Also, what do teams like Pittsburgh and San Jose have to rank above the bottom four?

Then again, Pronman's preferences differ from others'.

From the rankings:

I also split players up into tiers that will be seen throughout this feature. Here is how you should interpret them:

Special prospect: Projects to be one of the very best at their position in the league
Elite prospect: Projects to be top 10 percent of the league at their position.
High-end prospect: Projects as a legit top-line forward who can play on your PP1/top pairing defenseman.
Very good prospect: Projects as a top-six forward/top-four defenseman/starting goaltender.
Legit NHL prospect: Projects to play, probably not in a top role, but is close enough that he could realistically get there.
Have a chance: Probably not an impact guy but could play in the league and has the toolkit to have an outside chance to be a real player. Have a chance refers to probability to be a good player, not his probability to play NHL games.
Depth: Player who doesn’t have the skillset to play high in your lineup but could fill out your roster and/or be an injury call-up option.

So he puts special onus on the really special players in the NHL when determining his farm system rankings. Those players you listed are legit NHL prospects according to him. For comparison's sake, the Jets have K.Ves as a very good prospect, with Appleton, Spacek, Niku, and Samberg filling out the 'legit NHL prospect' category.

Also, he updated his farm system ranking to 26, and now lists Boston and Nashville.

I'll just use this post to update what he ranks each individual system.

24. Anaheim Ducks
25. Columbus Blue Jackets
26. Nashville Predators
27. Boston Bruins
28. Winnipeg Jets
29. Calgary Flames
30. Tampa Bay Lightning
31. Washington Capitals

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would say jets have among best depth in league. Likely +12 players that will all see some time.

12? Really?

Niku, Appleton, maybe Vesa if he doesn't go back to Europe. Maybe Kerdiles, Lemieux and Comrie. If we get that far we have had a lot of injuries.

Being adequate as injury replacements does not necessarily mean a player is likely to have an NHL career in his future.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
Pronman seems to put an awful lot of weight on teams not having a 2018 1st round pick!

Other than Washington, I don't believe any of them had a pick in the 1st round.

Toronto should likely be 25th and despite the Marlies winning the Calder last year, I wouldn't trade the Jets prospects for theirs!

26. Nashville Predators
27. Boston Bruins
28. Winnipeg Jets
29. Calgary Flames
30. Tampa Bay Lightning
31. Washington Capitals

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
From the rankings:

So he puts special onus on the really special players in the NHL when determining his farm system rankings. Those players you listed are legit NHL prospects according to him. For comparison's sake, the Jets have K.Ves as a very good prospect, with Appleton, Spacek, Niku, and Samberg filling out the 'legit NHL prospect' category.

Also, he updated his farm system ranking to 26, and now lists Boston and Nashville.

I'll just use this post to update what he ranks each individual system.

26. Nashville Predators
27. Boston Bruins
28. Winnipeg Jets
29. Calgary Flames
30. Tampa Bay Lightning
31. Washington Capitals
An onus on special players is fine. Most of the rest will never make a meaningful impact. Niku should be in the money club though and David Gustafsson is a 1st round talent.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
An onus on special players is fine. Most of the rest will never make a meaningful impact. Niku should be in the money club though and David Gustafsson is a 1st round talent.
I think the Jets' prospect depth and quality remains strong. They've had some good hits from lower picks, including Niku, Appleton and Poolman. Petan and Roslovic have yet to establish themselves, but I think they are very good talents. I am very high on Vesalainen and Samberg from last year. I think they are both tracking to be core type players. As you mention, Gustafsson is a very promising talent who could develop into a reliable 3C. Overall, it's a nice blend with some high end talent.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I caught myself listening to 1290 today for a brief stint and Kevin O was interviewing John Abbott from Vancouver about the Canucks situation. They covered a broad spectrum of topics and towards the end they brought up Quinn Hughes and Discussed how talented he is but the interesting part is right at the end of the interview Abbott mentioned unsolicited how good Dylan Samberg is (must have been watching him play with Hughes). He was raving about his game.

Reactions: KingBogo

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I caught myself listening to 1290 today for a brief stint and Kevin O was interviewing John Abbott from Vancouver about the Canucks situation. They covered a broad spectrum of topics and towards the end they brought up Quinn Hughes and Discussed how talented he is but the interesting part is right at the end of the interview Abbott mentioned unsolicited how good Dylan Samberg is (must have been watching him play with Hughes). He was raving about his game.
I think Samberg is going to be a core member of the Jets D sooner than many expect, and for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad