Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pronman has ranked the top 100 prospects. For the Jets:

#48. Vesalainen (a bit low for me, especially since he's lower than Bellows, which is a head-scratcher).
#92. Appleton
#96. Samberg
#98. Niku

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Has Pronman ever been a fan of the Jets prospect pool?
They're usually not small enough. What's to like about an 18-year old that put up a 33.5 NHLe in the Finnish Elite League when you can be dazzled by little dazzlers like Denisenko, Yamamoto, or even Bracco (had him ranked at #16 overall in that awesome 2015 draft year)?

I'm amazed that Pronman ranked Samberg in the top-100, so I'll give him some props for that.

He was a big fan of Laine --- one of the very few that ranked him above Matthews, as I recall.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
To have Niku and Appleton ranked that low is kind of stupid to me. Both are probably going to have good long NHL careers. I have a feeling Niku ends up better then most of the Dmen on his list

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
When i see anything Pronman has published i never and i mean never read it . The rest of you should do likewise , it helps with the blood pressure .

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Pronman is like Button. they primarily scout through international tournaments. Though Pronman at least has some scouts helping him out at the lower levels. Button basically just hits the international tournaments, memorial cup and a few games here and there.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Button has a lot of friends in the scouting community. I got a chance to talk with him a few years ago back in Brandon and he was there with a group of scouts from various teams

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Button has a lot of friends in the scouting community. I got a chance to talk with him a few years ago back in Brandon and he was there with a group of scouts from various teams
As Button mentioned during the 2015 draft, the reason he nails pics exactly is he's been told that teams will take player x if he is there. That also isn't the only time he has stated that.

That a lifetime hockey guy has friends in the scouting and management community shouldn't be surprising.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
At the end of the day having a great group od knowledgeable active scouts to tap into is the key ingredient for Craig. Like MacKenzie being an agrigator of knowledge assets is > than his own eye test now. Craig is an on air personality so he doesn’t have time to grind it out in the rinks anymore. His viewings will be way more limited so he has to approach his job differently.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
At the end of the day having a great group od knowledgeable active scouts to tap into is the key ingredient for Craig. Like MacKenzie being an agrigator of knowledge assets is > than his own eye test now. Craig is an on air personality so he doesn’t have time to grind it out in the rinks anymore. His viewings will be way more limited so he has to approach his job differently.
I ran into Button last year. He says he strictly reads HF boards to form his opinion and finds it the most accurate info.

:popcorn:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm not saying Button doesn't have great insights. He has a keen eye for talent for sure. He just places way to much stock into international tournaments. He has Philip Broberg as #3 heading into the season for the 2019 draft and Alex Turcotte outside of the top 10. If you preform well at any given tournament you are more likely to be hyped by Button then if you lead your junior league in points. He just places way to much stock into international play likely because he ends up covering it and that is where he gets most of his looks. Which is fine but you can't really build a list based entirely off that.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I'm not saying Button doesn't have great insights. He has a keen eye for talent for sure. He just places way to much stock into international tournaments. He has Philip Broberg as #3 heading into the season for the 2019 draft and Alex Turcotte outside of the top 10. If you preform well at any given tournament you are more likely to be hyped by Button then if you lead your junior league in points. He just places way to much stock into international play likely because he ends up covering it and that is where he gets most of his looks. Which is fine but you can't really build a list based entirely off that.
Button does value international tournaments, he also doesn't rank players until he sees them iirc.

What is important is his final rankings, till then things are fluid and one can find faults with virtually if not absolutely everyone's rankings.

Kyle Connor was not selected for the WJC for some still not understood reason yet he had him 7th OA I believe in a very very deep draft. So he is not inflexible with his grades.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Button does value international tournaments, he also doesn't rank players until he sees them iirc.

What is important is his final rankings, till then things are fluid and one can find faults with virtually if not absolutely everyone's rankings.

Kyle Connor was not selected for the WJC for some still not understood reason yet he had him 7th OA I believe in a very very deep draft. So he is not inflexible with his grades.

I'm not saying he doesn't place value on anything but the international tournaments just that he places to much there. I like that he eventually got off the Juolevi bandwagon unlike many. Sergachev was always the better player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Connor, Roslovic and Niku number 10, 17, and 27 respectively in 2015 redraft on main boards.
That was a killer draft for the Jets. Add Appleton, Spacek, Foley and Harkins and there is an outside chance that the Jets would have nailed 6 NHLers in that draft.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That was a killer draft for the Jets. Add Appleton, Spacek, Foley and Harkins and there is an outside chance that the Jets would have nailed 6 NHLers in that draft.

You forgot Foley. He might not be ours anymore but he is still a Jets pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad