Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
There's lots of differences between Poolman and Suess. Poolman is almost a home town boy to start. And he couldn't look at the Jets and see a lineup at his position. That's the big one.

If you were Suess how would the prospect of signing with the Jets look to you? Would you not notice how many LW's and LW prospects the Jets have? That isn't the whole picture of course, but it is a big part of it.

We all know how that picture can change in a hurry. Foley has been traded. That's one less guy for Suess to beat. Will he be inclined to wade into that pool or to go somewhere else where he can see an opportunity?

Actually, I will want him more if he is the guy who will want to accept the challenge. :laugh: None of us know how he will choose to see it, but we can certainly see reason for him not to sign with Jets.

I am not being a naysayer. I'm just pointing out a couple of factors that may sway his decision. I don't pretend to know how he will decide.
Pronman said he could fit in as a 4th C now or a really good player for the Moose. So a spot may be visible to him. As we see trades will be made as the Jets talent pool continues to deliver.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
The only time it would ever be an issue is in a case where an NCAA player would become a UFA on August 15 if he didn't sign with the club that drafted him. So it didn't apply to Hellebuyck, Copp, Connor, Roslovic or Trouba who all signed years before they could've opted to become UFAs.

Up to this point, I think Poolman is the only player that could've credibly exercised the UFA-in-August option (guys like Jamie Phillips, Aaron Harstad and Peter Stoykewych weren't coveted/high profile). Suess seems like he could be the second guy with some profile who could opt for UFA. Seems reasonable to speculate about whether he will or not. Or is asking a couple of questions too naysayery for you? :sarcasm:

You'll have to forgive me. The decades of nonsense hockey fans in Winnipeg have been through since 1979 have been unbearable.

Drafting Mann, losing Christian, Hawerchuk's ribs, trading Babych, firing Fergie, hiring Smith, Draper for a $1, Zhamnov's back, trading Selanne, losing the team, 15 years of sorrow & despair...I'm sick & tired of being sick & tired.

Ever since the Jets returned we "wasted our pick drafting Scheifele", "weren't ever going to be a cap team", "can't afford to keep our young talent" ,"Trouba will never sign", "free agents won't come here"...there's just constant negativity, so much so a "positivity" thread had to be created. Meanwhile Scheifele turned out great, we're a cap team, we continue to sign our RFA's to outstanding deals, Trouba has warmed to the city, free agents are not only signing but waiving NMC's to join us.

I wouldn't mind a little negativity if it wasn't so constantly pervasive & if certain conversations weren't circular. This isn't the first time it's been suggested a US college player wouldn't sign. There were worries about Poolman, there are worries of Glover, before that it was Hellebuyk. I just fail to see the point of constantly assuming the worst will happen.

That's reserved for the Jets 1.0. Those days are gone.

Suess is very fortunate to have been drafted by this organization & we have it on good authority he plans to sign.

There's a bright future ahead for you, me & all Jets fans. If he's lucky, Suess will be part of it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There will also be openings in the lineup. As cap pressures increase, cheap depth players like Armia, Copp, Tanev, etc. will have to be swapped out before they get raises. ELCs will vital.

Gotta think they'll point to Tanev as an example of how well thing can work out in the shirt term if he signs.

There's irony in your example. If Suess gets a roster spot it might be at the expense of Tanev.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's not a concern really. Pronman isn't making things up out of thin air. Somebody on the inside told him that Suess will likely sign with the Jets. Garret said the same thing using emoji instead of words.

Like I said before, that is reassuring - but I still will not feel confident until he actually signs. Doesn't mean that I think he won't, but the decision can't be a slam dunk for him.

Somebody, unknown who, on the inside thinks it is likely, unknown why. I hope he is right.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You'll have to forgive me. The decades of nonsense hockey fans in Winnipeg have been through since 1979 have been unbearable.

Drafting Mann, losing Christian, Hawerchuk's ribs, trading Babych, firing Fergie, hiring Smith, Draper for a $1, Zhamnov's back, trading Selanne, losing the team, 15 years of sorrow & despair...I'm sick & tired of being sick & tired.

Ever since the Jets returned we "wasted our pick drafting Scheifele", "weren't ever going to be a cap team", "can't afford to keep our young talent" ,"Trouba will never sign", "free agents won't come here"...there's just constant negativity, so much so a "positivity" thread had to be created. Meanwhile Scheifele turned out great, we're a cap team, we continue to sign our RFA's to outstanding deals, Trouba has warmed to the city, free agents are not only signing but waiving NMC's to join us.

I wouldn't mind a little negativity if it wasn't so constantly pervasive & if certain conversations weren't circular. This isn't the first time it's been suggested a US college player wouldn't sign. There were worries about Poolman, there are worries of Glover, before that it was Hellebuyk. I just fail to see the point of constantly assuming the worst will happen.

Suess is very fortunate to have been drafted by this organization & we have it on good authority he plans to sign.

There's a bright future ahead for you, me & all Jets fans. If he's lucky, Suess will be part of it.

There are how many Jets fans? You are surprised that a couple out of all those have a negative feeling about each of those things? :laugh: Come on!

I have been on the positive side of almost all of those things. I am not convinced that Trouba will sign here long term until he does. I can see why Suess might not sign here. That doesn't mean I am negative about it. It means just what I said. I can see why he might not.

I was a little concerned about Poolman. Giving up a year of his pro career to play with his brother didn't make sense.

I'm not the tiniest bit concerned about Glover. He will be lucky to get an offer.

I haven't had any concern about any of our other NCAA draft picks. Some other people mighf have been. Some people will be worried about everything. Not always the same people aboht each thing though.

Is there nothing you are concerned about? Really? Nothing?

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pronman said he could fit in as a 4th C now or a really good player for the Moose. So a spot may be visible to him. As we see trades will be made as the Jets talent pool continues to deliver.

I expect some wingers to be moved. Is that something an unsigned young player is likely to base his future on? If he does follow that line of thinking he has to realize that he might be the one to be traded.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seemed to score at roughly the same clip (Finished 6th in team scoring). There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of talent on the teams he's played with the last few seasons. I really liked his play at prospect camp, I wonder when he makes the jump to pro.

I like his game and am moving him into my best dark horse prospect where I use to have Niku.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Why wouldn't fans argue about draft picks, team spending, the affordability of young players coming off their ELCs, the Trouba question, Winnipeg's reputation around the league with UFAs? Everything Winnipeg Jets-related is up for debate here.

Suess is an interesting case. Even if he intends to sign here, his pending UFA status can be used as leverage. 5th rounder Poolman got a better ELC deal than everyone not named Laine. Same ELC deal as Kyle Connor.

Reactions: Jack722

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
i think the US scout is responsible for half the great picks. helly, seuss, foley, roslo, connor (duh), copp, and samberg.

i hope he is getting a commission.
Not the same scout for all those players.

The Jets were deadly serious on the USHL the season Connor, Roslovic and Foley were picked. There were a LOT of high end players that draft that played in that league.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
i think the US scout is responsible for half the great picks. helly, seuss, foley, roslo, connor (duh), copp, and samberg.

i hope he is getting a commission.

Not the same scout for all those players.

The Jets were deadly serious on the USHL the season Connor, Roslovic and Foley were picked. There were a LOT of high end players that draft that played in that league.

So interesting you guys mention this topic. Over on the main board I brought up the same topic wondering how the Jets are crushing it in the US in the Hockey Prospects March rankings thread and I was pretty happy Mark Edwards the director of scouting for Hockey prospects replied:

“I know several of the Jets guys pretty well, I've even met their Euro guys several times. The scouts you ask about (USHL guys) are Max Giese (main USHL area guy) who I've known since he was about 18. Brian Renfrew and Scott Scoville also assist Max in crossover rolls.

Brian lives in Michigan, Max in Wisconsin - Scott Scoville lives in Boston now.

And of course, Mark (head scout) and Zinger (Craig Heisinger) travel everywhere as well.

Some good guys in this scouting business, those are some of them. I obviously see Chris Snell (Ontario/QMJHL) and Yanick Lemay (QMJHL/Ontario) more often than a guy like Max based purely on Geography”.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
So interesting you guys mention this topic. Over on the main board I brought up the same topic wondering how the Jets are crushing it in the US in the Hockey Prospects March rankings thread and I was pretty happy Mark Edwards the director of scouting for Hockey prospects replied:

Interesting. Gotta think a few of the scouts are poached by awful drafting teams (oilers) at some point.

That said, scouts must have noncompete/nondisclosure (i. e. Stormy Daniels) type clauses in their contracts for x number of years after termination. Lots of secrets!

Reactions: ps241

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The story was he went to scout the goalie on the other team so it really was a a right place at the right time thing.
He would've been the goalie coach for the Ice Caps at the time...I think his role changed to "Developmental Goalie Coach" when TNSE bought the Thrashers and so they sent him around scouting goalies and keeping an eye on guys in the system. Did the Thrashers/Jets have anyone else in the system besides Petterson-Wentzel and Kasdorf back then? Probably had some free time to scout...and it likely would've been an organization priority considering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad