Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Hope that's the case. He may look at the depth at wing and think that his best path to the NHL lies with another club.

He's played center a lot in college, though. The Moose's #1C spot could be up for grabs next season.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's played center a lot in college, though. The Moose's #1C spot could be up for grabs next season.

He'll be 24 in another couple of days. I think that will be a big factor for him too. 1C on the Moose might be acceptable to him for a short time but he is going to want a team that has an opening for him in the NHL.

Our depth at LW could change quite a bit before next season starts. He may or may not be open to competing for a spot with the Jets knowing that some wingers will likely be moved before too long. But a team with holes on the wings has to look better to him than one that already has wingers waiting for an opening.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The Moose can also offer Suess an opportunity to experience pro hockey as soon as his NCAA season is over. He doesn’t get that opportunity with any other team.

Garret hinted that he’ll be signed. Pronman expects it. Don’t think there’s anything to worry about

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Moose can also offer Suess an opportunity to experience pro hockey as soon as his NCAA season is over. He doesn’t get that opportunity with any other team.

Garret hinted that he’ll be signed. Pronman expects it. Don’t think there’s anything to worry about

That's reassuring, but the logic, from as near as I can approximate it from his POV, says he should sign elsewhere. But .... maybe he doesn't see a big difference. Every other team has bodies playing at the NHL level plus some number of prospects. He has to beat someone out for a job with any team.

Jets can also offer him some immediate money. That could be very important to him. But I won't feel confident on this one until he is signed.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
That's reassuring, but the logic, from as near as I can approximate it from his POV, says he should sign elsewhere. But .... maybe he doesn't see a big difference. Every other team has bodies playing at the NHL level plus some number of prospects. He has to beat someone out for a job with any team.

Jets can also offer him some immediate money. That could be very important to him. But I won't feel confident on this one until he is signed.

I think you undervalue the option to join the Moose for the playoff run. When the Moose sucked that was not an option.

He can become a pro before training camp.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you undervalue the option to join the Moose for the playoff run. When the Moose sucked that was not an option.

He can become a pro before training camp.

I'm not valuing that one way or another. It is a matter of how he sees it and I have no way of estimating that. How do AHL players get paid for the playoffs? Bonuses for winning rounds? For games played?

I think his age is important. At 24 he needs to be NHL ready and find a place to play within a short time. Jets appear to be doing a good job of developing players. That may impress him. Who knows?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'm not valuing that one way or another. It is a matter of how he sees it and I have no way of estimating that. How do AHL players get paid for the playoffs? Bonuses for winning rounds? For games played?

I think his age is important. At 24 he needs to be NHL ready and find a place to play within a short time. Jets appear to be doing a good job of developing players. That may impress him. Who knows?

If he signs his ELC would likely begin next season. So there's nor financial incentive. It's not about that. It's about giving yourself the best chance at next years training camp. It seems to be important for many college players to do it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If he signs his ELC would likely begin next season. So there's nor financial incentive. It's not about that. It's about giving yourself the best chance at next years training camp. It seems to be important for many college players to do it.

I can see that, good experience and confidence booster.

What about signing bonus? I guess that would come after July 1 also then. How long can he play on an ATO? What are the different conditions required for a PTO?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
How was Johnny Kovacevic's season?

Honestly it seems tough to get information on him. Our board has struggled a bit this season with our non Finn prospects. We use to have a few guys that tended to follow closer but finally we have a decent NHL team so we seem to have let the NCAA guys slide a bit.

I really liked the Kovacevic draft pick.....is he a prospect you have followed in the past?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honestly it seems tough to get information on him. Our board has struggled a bit this season with our non Finn prospects. We use to have a few guys that tended to follow closer but finally we have a decent NHL team so we seem to have let the NCAA guys slide a bit.

I really liked the Kovacevic draft pick.....is he a prospect you have followed in the past?

Seemed to score at roughly the same clip (Finished 6th in team scoring). There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of talent on the teams he's played with the last few seasons. I really liked his play at prospect camp, I wonder when he makes the jump to pro.

Reactions: ps241

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
No improvement in pts/gp from the previous season, so on the surface that's disappointing. I'll keep my fingers crossed, hoping he's the next Parayko.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

There will also be openings in the lineup. As cap pressures increase, cheap depth players like Armia, Copp, Tanev, etc. will have to be swapped out before they get raises. ELCs will vital.

Gotta think they'll point to Tanev as an example of how well thing can work out in the shirt term if he signs.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I can see that, good experience and confidence booster.

What about signing bonus? I guess that would come after July 1 also then. How long can he play on an ATO? What are the different conditions required for a PTO?

He can play the entire playoff on an ATO......the ATO just means he is not yet considered a pro player.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets have a pretty good record signing US college players.

Let's stop crying wolf whenever a US college pick becomes a stand-out prospect.

My concern is not because he has become a stand-out prospect. It is because he is in his last year before FA, he is a forward and he is 24 years old. Emphasis on his age. Heavy emphasis.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
My concern is not because he has become a stand-out prospect. It is because he is in his last year before FA, he is a forward and he is 24 years old. Emphasis on his age. Heavy emphasis.

We signed 24 year old Poolman last season. There's also Hellebuyk, Copp, Connor, Roslovic, Trouba, free agent Tanev; all of which have come from the US college system.

Thus far we've never lost anyone & that's when were losers.

Suess was born in Minnesota & has spent his life there. He'll fit right in on the Jets.

For arguments sake when was the last time a nay sayer was right about anything on these boards?

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

It's not a concern really. Pronman isn't making things up out of thin air. Somebody on the inside told him that Suess will likely sign with the Jets. Garret said the same thing using emoji instead of words.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We signed 24 year old Poolman last season. There's also Hellebuyk, Copp, Connor, Roslovic, Trouba, free agent Tanev; all of which have come from the US college system.

Suess was born & has spent his life in Minnesota. He'll fit right in here.

For arguments sake when was the last time a nay sayer was right about anything on these boards?
The only time it would ever be an issue is in a case where an NCAA player would become a UFA on August 15 if he didn't sign with the club that drafted him. So it didn't apply to Hellebuyck, Copp, Connor, Roslovic or Trouba who all signed years before they could've opted to become UFAs.

Up to this point, I think Poolman is the only player that could've credibly exercised the UFA-in-August option (guys like Jamie Phillips, Aaron Harstad and Peter Stoykewych weren't coveted/high profile). Suess seems like he could be the second guy with some profile who could opt for UFA. Seems reasonable to speculate about whether he will or not. Or is asking a couple of questions too naysayery for you? :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Suess was born & has spent his life in Minnesota. He'll fit right in here.

There's lots of differences between Poolman and Suess. Poolman is almost a home town boy to start. And he couldn't look at the Jets and see a lineup at his position. That's the big one.

If you were Suess how would the prospect of signing with the Jets look to you? Would you not notice how many LW's and LW prospects the Jets have? That isn't the whole picture of course, but it is a big part of it.

We all know how that picture can change in a hurry. Foley has been traded. That's one less guy for Suess to beat. Will he be inclined to wade into that pool or to go somewhere else where he can see an opportunity?

Actually, I will want him more if he is the guy who will want to accept the challenge. :laugh: None of us know how he will choose to see it, but we can certainly see reason for him not to sign with Jets.

I am not being a naysayer. I'm just pointing out a couple of factors that may sway his decision. I don't pretend to know how he will decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad