Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
I’m surprised the jets signed Stanley so early. I bet most of the people here, including myself would have rathered him going back into the draft and receiving a compensary 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’m surprised the jets signed Stanley so early. I bet most of the people here, including myself would have rathered him going back into the draft and receiving a compensary 2nd round pick.

I don't know about most people here. I have been pretty PO'ed about the Stanley thing from the start, but even so I might prefer to let it play out now, rather than settle for a 2nd in exchange for what we paid for him. Maybe we can package him with something to get a 1st this year. One lives in hope. :)

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
I don't know about most people here. I have been pretty PO'ed about the Stanley thing from the start, but even so I might prefer to let it play out now, rather than settle for a 2nd in exchange for what we paid for him. Maybe we can package him with something to get a 1st this year. One lives in hope. :)
Yes hopefully, it will be interesting where he plays next year as I don’t think he is ready for the moose yet. He could play in the ohl again or maybe he could use a push by playing in the echl.

Also does anybody know why roslovic’s contract slide last year on capfriendly or was it a mistake on their part?

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I'm looking forward to seeing Stanley with the Moose next year. As long as his development curve is trending upwards I remain optimistic about the guy. We'll see in a few years.

Reactions: jgimp

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes hopefully, it will be interesting where he plays next year as I don’t think he is ready for the moose yet. He could play in the ohl again or maybe he could use a push by playing in the echl.

Also does anybody know why roslovic’s contract slide last year on capfriendly or was it a mistake on their part?

Well, I hope he is at least ready for the Moose by next year. If he hasn't progressed that far then I would rather have the 2nd. Not that that is still an option but .....

Roslo's slide is specific to his age at signing his ELC and his birthday. He didn't turn 20 until Jan of last season. I can't quote you chapter and verse but I've seen it explained a few times. Not a mistake.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012

I am also not a big fan of the Stanley pick but what takes most of the sting off for me is the underwhelming group of players taken immediately after him. Also Luke Green seems to have some nice upside still and could very well out perform second rounders taken in the draft. It has been mentioned on a number of occasions that we should have simply not signed Stanley and taken the second round pick. I am not so sure of this either and if I am not mistaken the second round pick would fall in between rounds two and three. So really it is more like a late second or early third round pick that we would have received as compensation. I think that Stanley's development to date has at least demonstrated second round value so I see no reason in retrospect to be upset with the decision to sign him to an ELC.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

"In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a
Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season
under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry
Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to
Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC."

(and "19 year old" means "19 years old on Sept 15 of the calendar year in which the contract is signed")

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am also not a big fan of the Stanley pick but what takes most of the sting off for me is the underwhelming group of players taken immediately after him. Also Luke Green seems to have some nice upside still and could very well out perform second rounders taken in the draft. It has been mentioned on a number of occasions that we should have simply not signed Stanley and taken the second round pick. I am not so sure of this either and if I am not mistaken the second round pick would fall in between rounds two and three. So really it is more like a late second or early third round pick that we would have received as compensation. I think that Stanley's development to date has at least demonstrated second round value so I see no reason in retrospect to be upset with the decision to sign him to an ELC.

I had Johansen and Clague picked out for 22 & 36 well before the draft. Both are having VG D+2 seasons so I will remain PO'ed at both the trade up and the pick.

Green helps to take some of the sting out and if Stanley develops into a decent 3rd pair D we will come out of it OK. I don't know if Stanley is even 50/50 to achieve that yet or not. But if he can't even make the Moose next year it will not look good.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
"In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a
Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season
under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry
Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to
Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC."

(and "19 year old" means "19 years old on Sept 15 of the calendar year in which the contract is signed")
Ah thanks forgot he was 19 when he signed.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Would have been the 18th pick in Rd 2 or #49 since there are now 31 teams

CBA

(b) In the event a Club loses its draft rights to an Unsigned Draft Choice drafted in the first round of the Entry Draft (except as a result of failing to tender a required Bona Fide Offer (as defined below)), who (i) is again eligible for the Entry Draft, (ii) becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent, or (iii) dies, a Compensatory Draft Selection shall automatically be granted to that Club, which Compensatory Draft Selection shall be the same numerical choice in the second round in the Entry Draft immediately following the date the Club loses such rights. By way of example, if a Club cannot sign the third pick in the first round, it will receive the third pick in the second round as compensation.

Reactions: Wizard204

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
I’m pretty sure the compensation 2nd round pick would be equivalent to where the selection was in the first round. So Stanley was picked 18th so the second round pick would be 49th.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018

CBA

(b) In the event a Club loses its draft rights to an Unsigned Draft Choice drafted in the first round of the Entry Draft (except as a result of failing to tender a required Bona Fide Offer (as defined below)), who (i) is again eligible for the Entry Draft, (ii) becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent, or (iii) dies, a Compensatory Draft Selection shall automatically be granted to that Club, which Compensatory Draft Selection shall be the same numerical choice in the second round in the Entry Draft immediately following the date the Club loses such rights. By way of example, if a Club cannot sign the third pick in the first round, it will receive the third pick in the second round as compensation.
Beat me by a minute :thumbu:
I remembered this because we ended up getting Comrie through a compensation pick.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Beat me by a minute :thumbu:
I remembered this because we ended up getting Comrie through a compensation pick.

The Jets had a compensatory draft pick when Daulton Levielle went unsigned (man than 2008 draft was bad by the Thrashers)

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

CBA

what is Bona Fide Offer defined as? i would think an offer equivalent to those drafted around him?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
what is Bona Fide Offer defined as? i would think an offer equivalent to those drafted around him?

Nobody knows exactly what constitutes a bona fide offer exactly. It's still a bit of a mystery in the hockey world. It's not specified in the CBA. But it most likely be a contract offer with minimum NHL salary along with minimum AHL salary. It does not involve comparables AFAIK

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
There isn't much flex on the ELC. Can't imagine a scenario where he wouldn't sign an offer.

Those offers only need to be made once and it's
not clear how long they are valid for. For most players drafted outside the top half of the first round the AHL salary number is probably a big deal. Most of those bona fide offers are probably minimum AHL salary

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Those offers only need to be made once and it's
not clear how long they are valid for. For most players drafted outside the top half of the first round the AHL salary number is probably a big deal. Most of those bona fide offers are probably minimum AHL salary
Do you envision True North low balling and player with a poison pen ELC? I don't, so I think believe there is merit to the compensatory pick storyline.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Do you envision True North low balling and player with a poison pen ELC? I don't, so I think believe there is merit to the compensatory pick storyline.

Am I missing something here? Where did I say anything about lowballing payers. I thought we were talking about Daultin Levielle and why he didn't accept his bona fide offer. IMO very few players do that because of a very low AHL salary level. Their agents try to negotiate more and normally do.

It's similar to QO's ....... how many players end up accepting those?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Gotta love this!
Maybe ready to step into 3rd pairing next year?
my8H4bI.jpg

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Am I missing something here? Where did I say anything about lowballing payers. I thought we were talking about Daultin Levielle and why he didn't accept his bona fide offer. IMO very few players do that because of a very low AHL salary level. Their agents try to negotiate more and normally do.

It's similar to QO's ....... how many players end up accepting those?
I was poo pooing the notion that the Jets could have gotten a 2nd instead of signing Stanley. I don't think that would have been an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad