Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
What is sami niku's MOST LIKELY projection at the NHL level? Not his floor or ceiling - just ehat he has the highest percentage of becoming...offensive #4 dman?

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
What is sami niku's MOST LIKELY projection at the NHL level? Not his floor or ceiling - just ehat he has the highest percentage of becoming...offensive #4 dman?

I think he's most likely to be a 2nd pairing offense-first guy. His ceiling is basically a top pair version of the same thing. His floor at this point is probably Paul Postma

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Pronman

Winnipeg: Mason Appleton, RW
Appleton has been one of the best players in the AHL this season and is on the verge of becoming an NHL player soon. The Jets sixth-round pick in 2015 didn’t have sexy statistics in the USHL nor in college but really turned a corner once he turned pro. There were a few people in the business who were advocates for him, though. “He had NHL hockey sense. He had a combination of his brain, skill, projectable athleticism and work ethic,” said one NHL scout on why he thought Appleton would work out. His skating still isn’t great, but it’s gotten better.

Reactions: ruffus23

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
They traded that the best one.

Seuss is likely to be signed.

I wouldn't bank on news about the rest. Samberg and Kovacevic are good prospects, bit likely not ready.
Is Daniel Brickley still on the Jets' radar I wonder? He's a big, left shooting defenseman. They were after him last year IIRC.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Is Daniel Brickley still on the Jets' radar I wonder? He's a big, left shooting defenseman. They were after him last year IIRC.

Yes, pushed hard last year and will definitely be pushing hard again. Could be an easier sell if Suess goes with him.

At least one of our scouts was pushing for him to be drafted later in the 2015 draft. But we came out of that draft with Niku in the 7th so things turned out alright.

Reactions: Gm0ney and Rheged

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pronman

Appleton has been one of the best players in the AHL this season and is on the verge of becoming an NHL player soon. The Jets sixth-round pick in 2015 didn’t have sexy statistics in the USHL nor in college but really turned a corner once he turned pro. There were a few people in the business who were advocates for him, though. “He had NHL hockey sense. He had a combination of his brain, skill, projectable athleticism and work ethic,” said one NHL scout on why he thought Appleton would work out. His skating still isn’t great, but it’s gotten better.
I think Appleton's two years in the NCAA were underrated, because someone just looking at the box stats wouldn't appreciate how bad and unproductive his team was. As a sophomore he was a bit under a point/game, but notably easily led his team in productivity. During his freshman year he also produced quite well, considering his usage.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
there's still an uncomfortable lack of D in the pipeline. will be our achilles heel in the upcoming seasons. Poolman's a 6th D. Niku maybe makes the team next year depending on what happens with Trouba, Myers and Enstrom.
after those 2 prospects, the next best d-man is....Green? oy vey

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Pronman

Nice to see some positivity about him, he's hit a pretty bad cold streak, but that's not super uncommon with players coming from the NCAA later in the season. Roslovic had a similar thing happen last season.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
there's still an uncomfortable lack of D in the pipeline. will be our achilles heel in the upcoming seasons. Poolman's a 6th D. Niku maybe makes the team next year depending on what happens with Trouba, Myers and Enstrom.

We have the pieces to get a good D man when we need one. At this moment, we don't need one.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
No real talk of it but Tucker Poolman's play has really picked up of late. The defense has for the most part always been there but since being sent down his offensive game has really picked up. 4 assists in 4 games since going down and 10 points in his last 11 after going point-less in 6 games to start his AHL career.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Yes, pushed hard last year and will definitely be pushing hard again. Could be an easier sell if Suess goes with him.

At least one of our scouts was pushing for him to be drafted later in the 2015 draft. But we came out of that draft with Niku in the 7th so things turned out alright.

I can't remember where I heard it (maybe a hockeyprospect podcast?) but I remember an interview with Chevy where he discussed their philosophy for 7th round picks. From what I recall the Jets essentially open the floor for their 7th rounders and let any of their scouts with strong opinions pound the table for a player. If they are convinced by the scout they will go off their board and select that guy and if no one is pushing hard for a player they will look at moving out of that pick (as they did in 2016). Was a really interesting policy and whether or not it would be more effective than sticking to the draft board it would seem like that process would be validating and rewarding for the scouts who put in the hard work so it has some stand alone value regardless.

Obviously it has payed dividends with Niku and Skylar McKenzie could be a second big hit from this method. If it is the case that a scout was pushing hard for brickley in 2015 that really reflects well on our scouts and the job they're doing.

I'll see if I can track down that interview in case anyone was interested.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't remember where I heard it (maybe a hockeyprospect podcast?) but I remember an interview with Chevy where he discussed their philosophy for 7th round picks. From what I recall the Jets essentially open the floor for their 7th rounders and let any of their scouts with strong opinions pound the table for a player. If they are convinced by the scout they will go off their board and select that guy and if no one is pushing hard for a player they will look at moving out of that pick (as they did in 2016). Was a really interesting policy and whether or not it would be more effective than sticking to the draft board it would seem like that process would be validating and rewarding for the scouts who put in the hard work so it has some stand alone value regardless.

Obviously it has payed dividends with Niku and Skylar McKenzie could be a second big hit from this method. If it is the case that a scout was pushing hard for brickley in 2015 that really reflects well on our scouts and the job they're doing.

I'll see if I can track down that interview in case anyone was interested.

If that is the case then they should have drafted Brickley instead of Gennaro.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interesting fact about Mankato St. Suess is the only drafted player on their roster. They are not a bad team, first in the WCHA.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012

Personally I think having two D prospects knocking on the door is not too bad at all. I think Poolman could have played more this year and the development of Niku has given us the possibility of a d-man that can eventually be in our top 4. Then with the likes of Samberg, Green, Stanley, etc. we have the potential for others that can come in the next few years. I would not consider our d depth to be a strength of our pipeline but I certainly do not see it as something that will dramatically hold us back either. Keep in mind also that there is always the possibility of using our surplus depth at forward to augment our D pipeline as well.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Personally I think having two D prospects knocking on the door is not too bad at all. I think Poolman could have played more this year and the development of Niku has given us the possibility of a d-man that can eventually be in our top 4. Then with the likes of Samberg, Green, Stanley, etc. we have the potential for others that can come in the next few years. I would not consider our d depth to be a strength of our pipeline but I certainly do not see it as something that will dramatically hold us back either. Keep in mind also that there is always the possibility of using our surplus depth at forward to augment our D pipeline as well.

I would say our D pipeline is not terrible. It is mediocre. What we lack is 1 or 2 blue chip prospects. I would be happy with 1 RHD who looks like he might be a Trouba replacement.

I think that is our real need. If we had such a guy we could adopt a like it or lump it attitude with JT. Make him a fair offer. If he doesn't take it, trade him for best value without having to worry about the return containing a replacement for him.

If we had Trouba locked up for the next 5+ years, I would trade Myers this off-season. With this year's scoring he should bring a nice return.

With neither JT locked up nor his replacement in the system we are hamstrung. The possible issue of Buff aging becomes that much greater.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad