Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I get enough legit things that I have been able to break trades and signings...

And I was one of the “biggest detractors” and I gave him 3rd line upside, mostly on fourth line, type career.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wondering if those that consider Lemieux a bad team mate and one with a cancerous attitude feel that way about Roslovic as well? Also others on the Moose and Jets?

He's a really good prospect who is NHL ready and would be a full time player if it weren't for the depth the Jets have. I would be shocked if he isn't an NHL regular next season, and he should be.

Why would you single out Roslovic?
There are reasons to single out Lemieux. Besides his PIMs, how many times has he been disciplined by various leagues?

I don't think he would necessarily be a full time NHL'er on another team. There are probably some teams where he would be but are they good teams? Next year he is probably at that point in his career. To be an NHL regular next year though he may need to be with another organization. Or, some other LW will need to have been traded away.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
There are reasons to single out Lemieux. Besides his PIMs, how many times has he been disciplined by various leagues?

I don't think he would necessarily be a full time NHL'er on another team. There are probably some teams where he would be but are they good teams? Next year he is probably at that point in his career. To be an NHL regular next year though he may need to be with another organization. Or, some other LW will need to have been traded away.
Foley likely will be a regular wit St.Louis at some point next year and then from there on. My opinion and others, Lemieux is ahead of him. I have no doubt on Lemieux being an NHL regular, and believe he would be right now if it weren't for the depth the Jets have.

Hockey is a small community, even in a place like Toronto. In Winnipeg it is really small.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Garret said he hadn't heard anything about Roslovic. I have heard that Roslovic isn't the brightest bulb (and in no small part why he left school after just one year) but that alone isn't necessarily damning. I've also heard Marleau in the WHL needed the team to hire multiple tutors just for him to get him to pass high school as well and he turned out pretty well. The things about Lemieux I've heard are more concerning.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Garret said he hadn't heard anything about Roslovic. I have heard that Roslovic isn't the brightest bulb (and in no small part why he left school after just one year) but that alone isn't necessarily damning. I've also heard Marleau in the WHL needed the team to hire multiple tutors just for him to get him to pass high school as well and he turned out pretty well. The things about Lemieux I've heard are more concerning.

Without going into stereotypes about athletes or hockey players in general there is no real need for book smarts type of thing in hockey. Sure, it's nice if someone can do calculus but it's not required. "Hockey sense" might infer some level of intelligence but it doesn't necessarily translate directly into what we would call "smart". It's a subset of smart and may not be reflected in academics but it is irrelevant. I've known a large number of university athletes over the years. Some were genuinely dumb and needed a lot of help. Most were just disinterested but their grades would tell you they weren't smart by academic standards. Lots ended up on academic suspension after a year. But boy, could they play games, be it hockey or basketball or football. Nobody checks grammar on the ice. It's an entirely different type of brain function.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Foley likely will be a regular wit St.Louis at some point next year and then from there on. My opinion and others, Lemieux is ahead of him. I have no doubt on Lemieux being an NHL regular, and believe he would be right now if it weren't for the depth the Jets have.

Hockey is a small community, even in a place like Toronto. In Winnipeg it is really small.

That's an opinion. Actually several.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
What? No celly this time? :laugh:
Guess that would be bad form for an 'A'. :naughty:

Crazy Russian hoodoo. I figure he might drive Jets fans wild some day. And not always in a good way.

yes.gif

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Lots of things get said or don't. Some people say things that shouldn't be overly valued. Jets like Lemieux, a lot, he's a valued player, prospect.

Some didn't believe he be nearly as good as he is right now either. Legitimate NHL player still with upside.

Ah what?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Crazy Russian hoodoo. I figure he might drive Jets fans wild some day. And not always in a good way.

yes.gif

Y'know that is going to last on the internet forever. :laugh:
If he makes it to the Jets there will probably be times when we are less than thrilled with his puck handling. It is good ..... but risky.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Y'know that is going to last on the internet forever. :laugh:
If he makes it to the Jets there will probably be times when we are less than thrilled with his puck handling. It is good ..... but risky.

But what a weapon if used effectively.

I think that puck handling skills for a goalie is one untapped area in the game, where some of the biggest improvements could be achieved. Whereas today, for every Mike Smith it Price, goalies excellent at handling the puck, there are several other goalies average to below handling it. I believe it will reverse over the next several years. Goalies are spending more time developing this skill.

How effective is that pass Berdin made, imagine if he can manage to do it successfully 85% of the time. You could change your hole game plan for breakouts, a Ehlers up the middle would be instant offence from 200 ft away.

Teams would not be able to dump and change or chase if that was the case.

With skill improvements made in most areas of the game, from generations, this area hasn’t gotten that much better. I thought with the removal of the redline years ago that this would have encouraged goalies to be better puck handlers and passers.

Reactions: Poxsonus

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think that puck handling skills for a goalie is one untapped area in the game, where some of the biggest improvements could be achieved. Whereas today, for every Mike Smith it Price, goalies excellent at handling the puck, there are several other goalies average to below handling it. I believe it will reverse over the next several years. Goalies are spending more time developing this skill.

How effective is that pass Berdin made, imagine if he can manage to do it successfully 85% of the time. You could change your hole game plan for breakouts, a Ehlers up the middle would be instant offence from 200 ft away.

With skill improvements made in most areas of the game, from generations, this area hasn’t gotten that much better. I thought with the removal of the redline years ago that this would have encouraged goalies to be better puck handlers and passers.
It would be kind of fun if the highlight reel of your goalie also included a few offensive plays. But bit of an unknown how his puck handling will transfer to the NHL, that's if the kid makes it in the 1st place.

Poxsonus

Jan 24, 2016
Saskatchewan

Couple that with removing the trapezoid and you have fewer injuries to defensemen.

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba

Hate to get pedantic (ah who am I kidding, getting pedantic is like my raison d’etre), but there will always be several other goalies average to below average at handling the puck ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->