Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not disputing that, but "good for a freshman" and Trouba level beasting are miles apart.

Samberg looks like he might be good, but he is not a safe bet like Trouba was or Vesalainen is.
I tend to agree with that. He's not at Trouba's level, but Trouba is a young #1D. Samberg is definitely more raw, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't play a long time in the NHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I meant compared to Trouba as an 18 yo rookie.
Sure, but Trouba had a very different development path. He's played for two years in the USNTDP before heading to college. Samberg came directly from high school, with just a cup of coffee in the USHL. He's definitely behind Trouba's age-specific development path and unlikely to reach Trouba's level, but he had a very good development year last season, and seems to be on a very good trajectory. He became a core D with the WJHC Team USA, and for UMD down the stretch and in the Frozen Four. He scored 7 of his 13 points in the final 12 games of the NCAA season. I'm looking forward to another big step forward for him next season.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I meant compared to Trouba as an 18 yo rookie.

Interesting Truck and good debate. Trouba and Laine were both way ahead of the curve as 18 year olds much more so than Scheifele, Morrissey, Wheeler, and Buff too so Samberg is in good company.

More specifically Trouba was much better offensively as an 18 year old than Samberg and way more dynamic but I put Samberg even or even slightly better defensively at the same age. I watched allot of Trouba that season and less of Samberg and Dylan plays a safer game but he is every bit as good in his own zone, with his gap control, puck retrieval, physicality, and in 1st pass transition IMO. He played top pair on Team USA and also top shut down pair on the national championship college team and that is no small feat especially coming from a small high school program. Dylan is way more raw and underdeveloped offensively at the same age but there is lots I like about his game already and especially his progression after Christmas.

I will stay out on my Limb and say I think at some point in the future Samberg and Trouba will make an excellent top pairing on our PK.

Reactions: KingBogo

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm a big fan of Samberg. I was looking at him before the draft and I do think he'll be good. All I'm saying is that more projection is required when a player has yet to dominate.

Reactions: ps241

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
From @wiebesunsports:

"D prospect Jacob Cederholm was asked what his plan was for the upcoming season and he's planning to play in North America, noting negotiations were underway with the Jets. Cederholm was chosen in fourth round, 97th overall, in 2016. He appeared in one game w/#MBMoose"

Cederholm wouldn't get more than an AHL contract, would he?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
From @wiebesunsports:

"D prospect Jacob Cederholm was asked what his plan was for the upcoming season and he's planning to play in North America, noting negotiations were underway with the Jets. Cederholm was chosen in fourth round, 97th overall, in 2016. He appeared in one game w/#MBMoose"

Not sure. No big deal either way. Jets are usually a mile away from the contract limit.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
From @wiebesunsports:

Good to see he will play here. Have liked him since he played in Winnipeg prior to his draft, nothing fancy but pretty smooth, good size and from what I have heard very good makeup.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Good videos from jets tv with all prospects.

Gustafson interview with very interesting as he wasn't interviewed by the Jets but was interviewed by their Swedish Scout some time ago.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Just got off a flight to Mpls from Wpg and sat across the isle from Jared Moe. Asked him how it felt to be drafted by the Jets. He said it was totally amazing and they were near the top of his wish list. He was returning from the Dev Camp. Kid knows a lot about the Jets. He was pretty careful about what he said but said the Helle is amazing as was his route to the show. Also liked to be 1 hour from home when he makes it to the big club. Cedarholm was on the flight too but he put on his headphones and tuned out. The hockey world is quite small.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
One small but pertinent and recent example that I take you agree with as you like to chuckle, Eric Foley wasn't one of the Jets top 10 prospects late this season.

No one should take the site as a serious source of Jets knowledge. Far far too many flaws.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
One small but pertinent and recent example that I take you agree with as you like to chuckle, Eric Foley wasn't one of the Jets top 10 prospects late this season.

No one should take the site as a serious source of Jets knowledge. Far far too many flaws.

To be fair, he was no longer a Jets prospect late in the season.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I gave arcticicehockey as an example as they have a page for each recent draftee with cut and pastes from their scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad