Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I tjpught it was 2018 prospect edition. I may be wrong.

Or you may be right and they may be wrong. :laugh:
Or their rating might be quite different now.

It isn't hard to see that we don't have an awful lot left. Not knocking our prospects, just trying to be realistic. Without the homer glasses there are a lot of better pools out there.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What we need are a couple of prospects to take big step forwards in their development like Niku, Appelton and Samberg did last season to strengthen the pool.

Top 6 talent:
Vasalainen, Roslovic*

Top 4/middle 6:

Niku, Samberg, Petan, Appelton

Bottom 6/bottom pairing:

Lemiuex, Poolman

These are the players I am fairly comfortable projecting into these roles at the moment which isn't too bad.

If we can get some good development as a pro from Stanley, Spacek, Harkins and Green next season then it will help us further flush out some of our depth pieces at the pro level.

Also if we can get even a couple from this years draft to take some sizable steps forward it will really help.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
One thing I find fascinating is how Philly perceived their next Chara vs how the Jets fans perceived their next Chara right from draft day?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
What we need are a couple of prospects to take big step forwards in their development like Niku, Appelton and Samberg did last season to strengthen the pool.

Top 6 talent:
Vasalainen, Roslovic*

Top 4/middle 6:

Bottom 6/bottom pairing:

Lemiuex, Poolman

These are the players I am fairly comfortable projecting into these roles at the moment which isn't too bad.

If we can get some good development as a pro from Stanley, Spacek, Harkins and Green next season then it will help us further flush out some of our depth pieces at the pro level.

Also if we can get even a couple from this years draft to take some sizable steps forward it will really help.
Will samberg be a top pairing for usa at wjc? Or will he be passed in depth by 2018 picks.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Top 6 talent:
Vasalainen, Roslovic*

Top 4/middle 6:

Bottom 6/bottom pairing:

Lemiuex, Poolman

Top 6 talent:
Vasalainen, Roslovic

Top 4middle pair/middle 6:

Niku, Samberg, Petan, Appleton

Bottom 6/bottom pairing:

Lemieux, Poolman

I think you have people in the right places. What is missing is probabilities. Only Vesalainen and Niku have high probabilities of reaching those projections at this point. Not sure about Appleton. I think he should be a high probability of being a middle 6 winger in the NHL, but I don't know if he will make it with the Jets. Maybe if Roslovic plays C there is a spot for Apples at 3RW. But the rest are all long-shots to varying degrees. Even Samberg, who is quite highly regarded might turn out to be a slightly better defensively version of Chiarot. That is, if he makes it at all.

I don't consider either Roslovic or Petan as prospects any more. Poolman? Borderline, but OK.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What was our top 20 last year?
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/winnipeg-jets-top-20-prospects-2017-wrap-up.2374343/
1. Connor
2. Roslovic
3. Vesalainen
4. Niku
5. Poolman
6. Comrie
7. Spacek
8. Harkins
9. Samberg
10. Stanley
11. Kovacevic
12. Foley
13. Lemieux
14. Green
15. Virtanen
16. De Leo
17. Nogier
18. Gawanke
19. Appleton
20. Berdin

HM: Kraskovsky, McKenzie, Tanev, Phillips, Lipon, Cederholm, Kostalek, Suess, Evingson, Holm, Stallard

Highest riser (from the previous list): Niku +12 (biggest jump by a skater on record)
Farthest faller: Lemieux/DeLeo -5

Graduating from that class are: 1. Connor, 2. Roslovic, 5. Poolman, and unranked Tanev. #12. Foley, was traded. Kostalek's gone to Europe. Stallard was not signed (and not drafted yesterday so he's a UFA). 16. De Leo, Phillips, Lipon and 6. Comrie are RFAs, so not sure about their statuses yet.

So at least 4 spots open up for someone.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Meh, Pronman has some interesting takes, but I wouldn't take his views to the bank.

He had Scheifele ranked at #29 in his draft year, with notables like Grimaldi @ #10 and Oleksiak at #28.

In 2012, he had Grigorenko at #2, just behind Yakupov. He rated Trouba behind Aberg, Faksa and Collberg.
Oh don't worry I wasn't. I like our picks that he's not high on. I was just saying what he wrote.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I know the feeling - but what I've read, mostly here, about Gustafsson and Smith gives me some optimism. Both sound like they flew under the radar for various reasons. They have a chance to surprise.

I can't even find the words to express how deeply I dislike the whole concept of TD rentals. I reluctantly liked the Stastny deal because he was such a good fit and because the price was not quite as badly inflated as many TD pickups. I certainly enjoyed what he brought but it was all too short.

In hindsight though, it just confirms my original opinion. Erik Foley might play in the NHL this year and Joe Veleno was available when our traded pick came up. In another year or 2 he could be the 2C replacement for Little that we need - and he could be that for 10-12 years. Both of those players would be cheap for quite some time.

We really need to keep building through the draft. We need to let go of older players and replace them with picks and prospects. We need to maintain a flow of young players coming in on affordable contracts.
Wouldn't be very surprised if Gustafsson turns out as good as Veleno, when all is said and done. In this draft, quality really seemed to flatten out after middle of round 1.

Reactions: CorgisPer60

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/winnipeg-jets-top-20-prospects-2017-wrap-up.2374343/
1. Connor
2. Roslovic
3. Vesalainen
4. Niku
5. Poolman
6. Comrie
7. Spacek
8. Harkins
9. Samberg
10. Stanley
11. Kovacevic
12. Foley
13. Lemieux
14. Green
15. Virtanen
16. De Leo
17. Nogier
18. Gawanke
19. Appleton
20. Berdin

HM: Kraskovsky, McKenzie, Tanev, Phillips, Lipon, Cederholm, Kostalek, Suess, Evingson, Holm, Stallard

Highest riser (from the previous list): Niku +12 (biggest jump by a skater on record)

Graduating from that class are: 1. Connor, 2. Roslovic, 5. Poolman, and unranked Tanev. #12. Foley, was traded. Kostalek's gone to Europe. Stallard was not signed (and not drafted yesterday so he's a UFA). 16. De Leo, Phillips, Lipon and 6. Comrie are RFAs, so not sure about their statuses yet.

We'll do this properly later but just a quick stab at it now:
1ConnorNiku
2RoslovicVesalainen
3VesalainenLemieux
4NikuSamberg
5PoolmanAppleton
6ComrieSpacek
7SpacekGreen
8HarkinsStanley
9SambergBerdin
10StanleyComrie
11KovavcevicGustafsson
12FoleyDe Leo
13LemieuxSuess
14GreenHarkins
15VirtanenKovacevic
16De LeoNogier
17NogierSmith
18GawankeChisholm
19AppletonGawanke
20BerdinValatti
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Green & Stanley are interchangeable and so are Berdin & Comrie.

There are no HM's. It was hard enough to fill the list of 20. Most of those who have risen have only done so because the competition is weaker, although some of them did have good years last year.

Reactions: HannuJ

Whileee

May 29, 2010
1. Connor
2. Roslovic
3. Vesalainen
4. Niku
5. Poolman
6. Comrie
7. Spacek
8. Harkins
9. Samberg
10. Stanley
11. Kovacevic
12. Foley
13. Lemieux
14. Green
15. Virtanen
16. De Leo
17. Nogier
18. Gawanke
19. Appleton
20. Berdin

Harkins falls a bit. Appleton rises a ton. Samberg rises. Lemieux rises. Spacek rises.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
1ConnorNiku
2RoslovicVesalainen
3VesalainenLemieux
4NikuSamberg
5PoolmanAppleton
6ComrieSpacek
7SpacekGreen
8HarkinsStanley
9SambergBerdin
10StanleyComrie
11KovavcevicGustafsson
12FoleyDe Leo
13LemieuxSuess
14GreenHarkins
15VirtanenKovacevic
16De LeoNogier
17NogierSmith
18GawankeChisholm
19AppletonGawanke
20BerdinValatti
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

There are no HM's. It was hard enough to fill the list of 20. Most of those who have risen have only done so because the competition is weaker, although some of them did have good years last year.
I think you're very close to how I would rank 2018.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Here would be mine:

1) Vesalainen - Talented physical forward that has top line upside
2) Niku - Smooth skating skilled offensive dmen with top 4 upside with PP QB ability
3) Appelton - Strong good skating two-way winger who can potentially play up and down the lineup
4) Samberg - Strong smooth skating physical shut down dmen who can move the puck (Areas to improve: Adding some offense)
5) Lemieux - Physical pest with some underrated hands and a nose for the net (Areas to improve: Defensively and playing with discipline)
6) Spacek - Crafty playmaking forward with good wheels (Areas to improve: Producing points at ES, strength and defensive play)
7) Green - Great skating offensive dmen (Areas to improve: Play without the puck and his overall consistency)
8) Gustafsson - Pro caliber defense playing against men (Areas to improve: Foot speed and rounding out his offensive arsenal)
9) Stanley - Big physical dmen with a cannon of a shot (Areas to improve: Foot speed, defensive positioning)
10) Comrie - Talented goalie who had a solid year in the AHL (Areas to improve: Consistiency is still his biggest issue and the clock is ticking)
11) Kovaceivic - Solid all around dmen who had another good year in college
12) Berdin - Has some talent and good numbers in the USHL (Can he make the jump to the pros)
13) Harkins - Good all around tools and smarts but needs a rebound season to put himself back in the mix
14) Nogier - Good skating defensive minded dmen that missed nearly the whole year due to injury (Needs to work on decision making with the puck and his breakout passes)
15) Mckenzie - Real nose for the net with plus hands and a pro release (Needs to get stronger and faster to make the jump to the pros)
16) Suess
17) Vallati
18) Chisholm
19) Gawanke
20) Smith

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Here would be mine:

1Con
2RoslovicNiku
3VesalainenAppelton
4NikuSamberg
5PoolmanLemieux
6ComrieSpacek
7SpacekGreen
8Harkins
9Samberg
10StanleyComrie
11KovavcevicKovaceivic
12FoleyBerdin
13LemieuxHarkins
14GreenNogier
15VirtanenMckenzie
16De LeoSuess
17Nogier
18GawankeChisholm
19AppletonGawanke
20BerdinSmith
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Where's Gustafsson?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wouldn't be very surprised if Gustafsson turns out as good as Veleno, when all is said and done. In this draft, quality really seemed to flatten out after middle of round 1.

I think there was a flattening out but there were some odd reaches and falls. Veleno was one of the falls. I think Detroit got a steal at 30. I will be very surprised - pleasantly - if Gustafsson does that. I won't be too very surprised if he comes close to Foudy and O'Brien, who I think were a couple of the strange reaches. Kupari, Lundestrom and Veleno were all still on the board when those 2 were picked. :huh:

Hope you are right about Gustafsson. :) I will be happy if we just get a player out of him.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
1ConnorNiku
2RoslovicVesalainen
3VesalainenLemieux
4NikuSamberg
5PoolmanAppleton
6ComrieSpacek
7SpacekGreen
8HarkinsStanley
9SambergBerdin
10StanleyComrie
11KovavcevicGustafsson
12FoleyDe Leo
13LemieuxSuess
14GreenHarkins
15VirtanenKovacevic
16De LeoNogier
17NogierSmith
18GawankeChisholm
19AppletonGawanke
20BerdinValatti
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I mean, I would bump Appleton and Gustafsson up a notch or two each and move DeLeo down, but that's a good summary.
Two stud prospects. Two that legit excite me. And the rest are a grab bag of who-knows-what and bottom pairing players.
Eh. I'll take that. As long as we always have 1-2 studs in waitng, we are gold

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here would be mine:

1) Vesalainen
2) Niku
3) Appelton
4) Samberg
5) Lemieux
6) Spacek
7) Green
8) Gustafsson
9) Stanley
10) Comrie
11) Kovaceivic
12) Berdin
13) Harkins
14) Nogier
15) Mckenzie
16) Suess
17) Vallati
18) Chisholm
19) Gawanke
20) Smith

I know you like McKenzie :laugh: but - is he even going to be offered a contract? In his favour is that he has another year before they have to decide. Another chance to make an impression.

Question: Could they offer him a 1 year AHL contract so he could play with the Moose without having had an ELC? Could be a good 'show me' opportunity for a player on the bubble.

Edit: D'oh! Of course they could. Question is, would they?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I know you like McKenzie :laugh: but - is he even going to be offered a contract? In his favour is that he has another year before they have to decide. Another chance to make an impression.

Question: Could they offer him a 1 year AHL contract so he could play with the Moose without having had an ELC? Could be a good 'show me' opportunity for a player on the bubble.

Edit: D'oh! Of course they could. Question is, would they?

Who knows but as of now he is still one of our prospects. I like him more than most because while he may be limited as a play driver as a pro he is very good at finishing the play. Go watch his highlight video that KA83 posted:

He scores an awful lot of goals in tight due to great instincts, hands and a pro caliber shot release. I feel those abilities are transferable.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mean, I would bump Appleton and Gustafsson up a notch or two each and move DeLeo down, but that's a good summary.
Two stud prospects. Two that legit excite me. And the rest are a grab bag of who-knows-what and bottom pairing players.
Eh. I'll take that. As long as we always have 1-2 studs in waitng, we are gold

Agree with that last sentence. Right now it doesn't look like we will have that, as soon as next year - but we could have a pleasant surprise or 2. Who knows?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who knows but as of now he is still one of our prospects. I like him more than most because while he may be limited as a play driver as a pro he is very good at finishing the play. Go watch his highlight video that KA83 posted:

He scores an awful lot of goals in tight due to great instincts, hands and a pro caliber shot release. I feel those abilities are transferable.

Not arguing his ability. But Jets seem to be developing a pattern of not signing some players who do pretty well in their D+2 seasons. The truth is that these players really haven't got much chance of ever making the NHL even though they excelled against Jr level players when they were 19/20. Maybe McKenzie shows more potential to the eye-test than the Stallards and Gennaros. IDK, but I won't be surprised if they just let him go.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think Veleno has more offensive potential and skating which will help. He could easily bust but if he hits Detroit will look great and literally every other team will look really bad. Except us and Washington.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Watched about half of that. McKenzie sure makes Glass look good! :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not arguing his ability. But Jets seem to be developing a pattern of not signing some players who do pretty well in their D+2 seasons. The truth is that these players really haven't got much chance of ever making the NHL even though they excelled against Jr level players when they were 19/20. Maybe McKenzie shows more potential to the eye-test than the Stallards and Gennaros. IDK, but I won't be surprised if they just let him go.

True enough but the Jets will run the risk of having an under-stocked farm team at the forward position if they keep letting solid prospects go. The Moose need players as well and the Jets will need injury call ups.

Next season the Moose will definitely lose the following forwards:

Roslovic
Petan
Cormier

Other forwards who may opt to leave:
Lipon
DeLeo

Players who look like they will make the jump within the next year or two:

Appelton
Lemieux

Players guaranteed to be joining the Moose:

Suess
Vasalienan*He may or may not come over

So we essentially will have 3 to 5 forwards leave with only maybe 2 forward prospects guaranteed to join the team.

Now go look at our last number of drafts and you will quickly see that we don't have much in the way of forwards that will likely graduate to replenish the Moose in the next two seasons. The only two we have in the system now are Mckenzie and Gustafsson as I view Smith as at least spending two seasons in college.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True enough but the Jets will run the risk of having an under-stocked farm team at the forward position if they keep letting solid prospects go. The Moose need players as well and the Jets will need injury call ups.

Next season the Moose will definitely lose the following forwards:

Roslovic
Petan
Cormier

Other forwards who may opt to leave:
Lipon
DeLeo

Players who look like they will make the jump within the next year or two:

Appelton
Lemieux

Players guaranteed to be joining the Moose:

Suess
Vasalienan*He may or may not come over

So we essentially will have 3 to 5 forwards leave with only maybe 2 forward prospects guaranteed to join the team.

Now go look at our last number of drafts and you will quickly see that we don't have much in the way of forwards that will likely graduate to replenish the Moose in the next two seasons. The only two we have in the system now are Mckenzie and Gustafsson as I view Smith as at least spending two seasons in college.

Yup. The Moose will need players. There are some who will not be offered NHL contracts and will probably go elsewhere looking for opportunity. Forwards Lipon, Lodge and probably De Leo are in that boat. De Leo had a good playoff and that might gain him another 1 year shot at making it.

Will Sgarbossa and Robinson be back? Will Zinger fill spots with AHL level players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad