Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That sounds about right. We picked up some guys who have potential to move into our top 10 but they all need to develop before you can put them in that group.

Our top 10, 0r 20 will be easier to get into than it has been for a couple of years. After Niku and Vesalainen, there's not a lot of quality there.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Our top 10, 0r 20 will be easier to get into than it has been for a couple of years. After Niku and Vesalainen, there's not a lot of quality there.
Jets are still consideted a top prospect team. Not many blue chip players now but still lots of quality.

Samberg should be exciting this year!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Don't recall Lemieux dropping the mitts in previous development camps, do you?

I don't commit stuff like that to long term memory, but I just see Wong as the type to bring his agitator side into camp to try and prove something, and Lemieux will want to defend his status as the Jets resident shit disturber. Could also be Lipon, I guess.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah that's basically where I was as well at a glance.. There are a few other guys that I could maybe see being up there as well but injuries or poor seasons have them down a bit in my mind.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets are still consideted a top prospect team. Not many blue chip players now but still lots of quality.

Samberg should be exciting this year!

I forgot about Samberg. He has potential but is still a long way off. Very interested to see what he does this year. I think that will tell the story for him. Could emerge as a genuine high end prospect or could plateau.

Jets are considered a top prospect team by whom? Still very few who look like they will be impact players in the NHL and not that many more who look like making it in the NHL at all. A lot of players who need to take a big step to become legit prospects. I think Jets prospect pool is now somewhere in the middle of the pack.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
i feel slighter dumber after reading the LWoH's summary. wow. what in-depth analysis.

Definitely BD-esque. :)

6a00e553d7c1ae883401a3fccec6fe970b-pi

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't commit stuff like that to long term memory, but I just see Wong as the type to bring his agitator side into camp to try and prove something, and Lemieux will want to defend his status as the Jets resident **** disturber. Could also be Lipon, I guess.

I don't think you see much of that kind of thing in Dev Camp. Lemieux and Lipon won't likely be there.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Pronman gave us a C. Didn't have Smith as getting picked, doesn't like Chis and Gio and our first pick made him cringe lol doesn't see upside there and he said there was way more talent left on board at 60.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
If you're not on the Jets, you still need development IMO.

The official name is "Conditioning Camp", and attendance is actually regulated in the CBA:

(b)
Participation in Conditioning Camps will be limited to the following:
(i) Unsigned Draft Choices;
(ii) Any Player in the Entry Level System with less than 120 NHL Games
played (but who did not play in excess of 70 NHL Games in the preceding
Regular Season);
(iii) Draft-related Unrestricted Free Agents;
(iv) Players who were eligible for selection in the preceding Entry Draft but
were undrafted; and
(v) Any Player who is not in the Entry Level System, who finished the
preceding season disabled, and who submits a written request to the Club,
with a copy to the NHL and the NHLPA, to participate in his Club's
Conditioning Camp.
(c)
Ice-time during Conditioning Camp will be limited to no more than three (3)
hours per day, per Player.
(d)
No Player shall be required to participate in more than three (3) Conditioning
Camps in total for any one (1) Club (but may opt to do so in his sole discretion).

Lemieux has been at three Jets dev camps, so he won't be there unless he specifically wants to.
Lipon can't be there.

Reactions: Laine Fan

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I forgot about Samberg. He has potential but is still a long way off. Very interested to see what he does this year. I think that will tell the story for him. Could emerge as a genuine high end prospect or could plateau.

Jets are considered a top prospect team by whom? Still very few who look like they will be impact players in the NHL and not that many more who look like making it in the NHL at all. A lot of players who need to take a big step to become legit prospects. I think Jets prospect pool is now somewhere in the middle of the pack.
I thought hockey news had jets in top 3 or so.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pronman gave us a C. Didn't have Smith as getting picked, doesn't like Chis and Gio and our first pick made him cringe lol doesn't see upside there and he said there was way more talent left on board at 60.
I get the sense that the Jets didn't expect Gustafsson to be available at #60, and decided they had to take him when he was available. Apparently they didn't interview him at the combine or on day 1 of the draft (when they reportedly interviewed a few other European prospects).

Smith is obviously a mystery package for most casual draftniks, but my guess is that the Jets' US-based scouts did a pretty thorough job scouting him. Pronman didn't list him, but Hockeyprospect had him at #92. That's probably just a reflection of not really knowing that much about him - certainly not as much as the Jets' scouts would.

5th round D are going to be long shots, no matter what. At least Chisholm and Valanatti have projectable attributes. How they develop will depend a lot on their character and work ethic, and the development support provided by their teams / organizations.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Meh, Pronman has some interesting takes, but I wouldn't take his views to the bank.

He had Scheifele ranked at #29 in his draft year, with notables like Grimaldi @ #10 and Oleksiak at #28.

In 2012, he had Grigorenko at #2, just behind Yakupov. He rated Trouba behind Aberg, Faksa and Collberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweech

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pronman would have hated Lowry in his draft year...

I read Pronman but I do take him with a large grain of salt. I appreciate his unique take and he doesn't get pressured into following the pack but its not like he is Mark Edwards with a team or Bob MacKenzie with access with the best access in the business.

Last edited:
Reactions: CorgisPer60

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: Then why a C? Sounds like an F to me. Or a 'pity pass', D-. That is, if you agree with those assessments.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought hockey news had jets in top 3 or so.

When? We have graduated most of our top prospects. I'm counting Roslovic as graduated because I doubt he goes back down to the Moose.

We only have Vesalainen and Niku who look like more or less sure bets to make the NHL. Neither looks like 1st line/1st pair at this point (subject to change of course). Then we have the likes of Samberg, Appleton, Spacek, Lemieux who all have a chance to make it but are not sure things by any means. Comrie and Berdin are both long-shots, as are Stanley, Green and Gustafsson. Then there are the also rans.

There are probably 2-3 teams that got as many top prospects from this draft alone as what we have in our whole system.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
:laugh: Then why a C? Sounds like an F to me. Or a 'pity pass', D-. That is, if you agree with those assessments.

Granted, my knowledge of all of these players is limited to the sound bites I've read since we picked them, but this is the first draft that has left me feeling like they didn't get a single player who will be in the NHL someday. Can you award an F-grade? Just so depressed right now. I just hate that they gave up their 1st round pick for nothing.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
When? We have graduated most of our top prospects. I'm counting Roslovic as graduated because I doubt he goes back down to the Moose.

We only have Vesalainen and Niku who look like more or less sure bets to make the NHL. Neither looks like 1st line/1st pair at this point (subject to change of course). Then we have the likes of Samberg, Appleton, Spacek, Lemieux who all have a chance to make it but are not sure things by any means. Comrie and Berdin are both long-shots, as are Stanley, Green and Gustafsson. Then there are the also rans.

There are probably 2-3 teams that got as many top prospects from this draft alone as what we have in our whole system.
I tjpught it was 2018 prospect edition. I may be wrong.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Granted, my knowledge of all of these players is limited to the sound bites I've read since we picked them, but this is the first draft that has left me feeling like they didn't get a single player who will be in the NHL someday. Can you award an F-grade? Just so depressed right now. I just hate that they gave up their 1st round pick for nothing.

I know the feeling - but what I've read, mostly here, about Gustafsson and Smith gives me some optimism. Both sound like they flew under the radar for various reasons. They have a chance to surprise.

I can't even find the words to express how deeply I dislike the whole concept of TD rentals. I reluctantly liked the Stastny deal because he was such a good fit and because the price was not quite as badly inflated as many TD pickups. I certainly enjoyed what he brought but it was all too short.

In hindsight though, it just confirms my original opinion. Erik Foley might play in the NHL this year and Joe Veleno was available when our traded pick came up. In another year or 2 he could be the 2C replacement for Little that we need - and he could be that for 10-12 years. Both of those players would be cheap for quite some time.

We really need to keep building through the draft. We need to let go of older players and replace them with picks and prospects. We need to maintain a flow of young players coming in on affordable contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->