Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2013-2014 (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Just a question for those who are more dialled in than I. What is the current status of Zach Yuen. Last I recall, Toronto gave him a look and secured him. How has he been looking? I'm not particularly concerned about losing him, just curious, as some people seemed to think reasonably highly of him when he was selected.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yuen impressed the Toronto management but they actually have a really deep minor-pro defensive depth (which was why I was surprised he tried for Toronto). He was given an AHL contract by the Marlies but assigned to the ECHL. He has 5 points in 12 games. Meanwhile Sol has 1 point in 11 games in his third season failing to make the AHL squad.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
No team has a perfect draft record, so it's to be expected for busts.... but...

I didn't think Sutter had the upside to be picked in the 2nd round and was more of a 3-5 round guy.
I talked myself into being ok as I thought Kosmachuk was a 2nd round talent.
Now I realize I'd rather have had two Kosmachuks than one.

:nod: Absolutely: Kossy might only have 3rd line upside with the potential for 2nd, but according to all reports, Sutter never did. Very unfortunate, but if the last draft was anything to go by, there's now an emphasis on talent and character, rather than just character (or at least I'm hoping there is).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You win some you lose some....at the time Sutter was drafted I didn't like the pick but I talked myself into it a bit as his numbers were respectable and although not an aspirational choice the thoughts of a gritty bottom six Sutter type had some curb appeal to me....not sexy but it seemed like a % play at the time.

Lukas has made me a firm believer you have to look for a bit more upside with your prospects in the first two rounds at least. I will continue to hope for the best but so far he has been a disaster.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
watching the Morrissey interview during first intermission Josh is asked about being chosen for the Subway Series as a first step to making the WJC

"It's just a part of the process" :laugh: definitely a Chevy guy

also : SHREDDIES!!!

Josh gets honey cause ... I dunno....bees?

Post_2013_CHL_Cereal2134.jpg

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
No team has a perfect draft record, so it's to be expected for busts.... but...

I didn't think Sutter had the upside to be picked in the 2nd round and was more of a 3-5 round guy.
I talked myself into being ok as I thought Kosmachuk was a 2nd round talent.
Now I realize I'd rather have had two Kosmachuks than one.

2 Kosmachucks..............Hmmmmmmm.......

We could have drafted Brock McGinn (LW) with the Guelph Storm with our 39 th pick instead of Sutter. Brock McGinn was drafted by Carolina with the 47 over all pick. Brock McGinn has 34 pts this year 17 goals and 17 assists as Kosmachuck has 35 pts. (in 21 games each)

Hmmmmmmm........... a top scoring LW and a top scoring RW from the OHL Guelph storm would have looked good in the prospect bank. ;)

speedway

Oct 6, 2006
Superstar!

BTW, for those that are curious, Cisse had a better ppg in his overage year than Sutter and has struggled to get into ECHL lineup. Or how about direct league comparison David Toews who after 20g, 48pts in 60gp in his overage year (much better than ppg btw) who would go on to score 14g, 44pts in 114 gp in the ECHL. Sutter is a bust, IMO.

Just FYI, Cisse has not "struggled to get into the lineup". He had been out with an injury.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
ICYMI Hellebuyck got a shutout on 37 shots this week

Thanks for mentioning that. I wasn't aware they had played on Thursday, I had just looked at the results from their yesterday game and was disappointed to see that Carr had started. Makes more sense now.

That brings Hellebuyck up to .938 sv%. Carr is up to .930 sv% also after an awful season last year, so looks like they'll continue splitting games.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Serville at the very least had the potential upside as a defenseman - he's just never come close to reaching it. So I can't really blame Chevy and co. for that pick. Not every pick is going to work out - even getting 2 NHLers out of a draft is a success. Sutter never had upside beyond bottom six, so I think those two are totally different.

jetkarma*

Serville at the very least had the potential upside as a defenseman - he's just never come close to reaching it. So I can't really blame Chevy and co. for that pick. Not every pick is going to work out - even getting 2 NHLers out of a draft is a success. Sutter never had upside beyond bottom six, so I think those two are totally different.

If Serville is a miss , you have to account for where he was drafted as well. Hard to be critical for that pick.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Am I the only one that finds Kostalek's numbers really really impressive? 8 more points than Morin and one less than Fredrick Gauthier, both of who were first round picks this past year. How's his defensive game?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Am I the only one that finds Kostalek's numbers really really impressive? 8 more points than Morin and one less than Fredrick Gauthier, both of who were first round picks this past year. How's his defensive game?

Considering his play last year and his ranking, I thought it was a steal that he was there in the 4th round (114th).

Looks like he has matched his point totals from last year with 25 less games. :handclap:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

His defensive game is his strength. He is never going to be an offensive guy at the NHL level. Smart safe positional player with a solid first pass. All NHL defensemen score at the junior level, the fact he is developing into a legitimate #1 in junior as an 18 year old is hugely encouraging.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
His defensive game is his strength. He is never going to be an offensive guy at the NHL level. Smart safe positional player with a solid first pass. All NHL defensemen score at the junior level, the fact he is developing into a legitimate #1 in junior as an 18 year old is hugely encouraging.

Garret was beaking some Flyers fans about how Kostalek will be better than Morin long term. Wouldn't it be marvelous if that was the case.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
So, I'm going to see Prince Albert play the Wheaties on the 30th. My roommate's parents are STHs, but they can't use their tickets for that day. I'll be able to grab them and take my Dad to the game. Woo, Josh Morrissey live. :D

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So, I'm going to see Prince Albert play the Wheaties on the 30th. My roommate's parents are STHs, but they can't use their tickets for that day. I'll be able to grab them and take my Dad to the game. Woo, Josh Morrissey live. :D

I'd like to hear what you thought seeing him live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->