Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2013-2014 (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Swing and a miss by Chevy.

Some used to talk about guys like Sutter as being "Chevy type players". I'm glad that the Jets most recent draft suggests that a "Chevy type player" has talent, not just bellicosity.
Never understood the Sutter pick.

Still don't.

I hope it was an intentional long shot at a Lucic typer player, but the numbers and many 3rd party scouts said he never projected as anything more than a grinder.

I don't get spending a second on such a player when you can trade a 4th or a 5th for a plug and play version.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What? That's not what I'm saying.

Jets could have a reason to loan Telegin. In fact, it could be a good idea.

Give the kid some time to play and develop, if he returns to the NHL the Jets own him.

The MOU just means that CSKA needs the Jets permission to sign him.

Yep. Though I really dislike the way Telegin handled things, the Jets would be best served to loan him to CSKA. Look at the 2 options and the result:

Telegin not loaned and sits out contract: What does this do for the Jets in particular? Nothing really, besides punishing a player that it's looking like won't even be an impact NHL'er. This does not serve the Jets purposes of player development and ambassadorship at all.

Loan him to CKSA: A Jets prospect continues to develop instead of withering on the vine. Sure, it's not what the Jets want for him, but he's still playing a high level. Moreso, it builds good will between player and team. It potentially could help with the relationship between the Jets and a much more desirable player: Alex Burmistrov.

Most importantly, it shows all players that this organization treats players well. That to me is the biggest message it could send. This could pay off multiple times.

At the end of the day though, it could be out of the Jets hands. the NHL might be directing this one.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Unfortunately Jet and garret, though I can understand and do partially agree with your premises, allowing him to be loaned to a K team also sets a dangerous precedent that if you don't get what you think you deserve, you're free to walk on your contract until you GET what you want.

I'm very disappointed about how Telegin handled this - I so enjoyed watching him in the OHL, and had hopes for his transition to the A and NHL.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Unfortunately Jet and garret, though I can understand and do partially agree with your premises, allowing him to be loaned to a K team also sets a dangerous precedent that if you don't get what you think you deserve, you're free to walk on your contract until you GET what you want.

I'm very disappointed about how Telegin handled this - I so enjoyed watching him in the OHL, and had hopes for his transition to the A and NHL.

Yeah, I had considered this as well. You have to balance either A> being the ******* that sticks up for what is right and coming off as such or B> being the nice guy which might play well with the players but could set a bad example.

Again, I think the NHL might be directing the Jets response at any rate. The whole 'Russian conundrum' has to be an issue with the league.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, I had considered this as well. You have to balance either A> being the ******* that sticks up for what is right and coming off as such or B> being the nice guy which might play well with the players but could set a bad example.

Again, I think the NHL might be directing the Jets response at any rate. The whole 'Russian conundrum' has to be an issue with the league.

Agree that the NHL is probably in discussions with the Jets because of the recent issues. Not so sure I agree with the ******* part (not even going to try to guess this word, but I'm sure it wasn't something along the lines of booboo-head :D) - if someone signs a contract, is that signature not worth something? Why should an organization have to bend over backwards for someone that wants to break a promise? Maybe I'm being too old-skool about this, but it rubs me the wrong way.

I might have less of an issue if Telegin handled it less "publicly", and allowed TNSE the opportunity to set the tone for how this was presented to the media, rather than having it "break" via an instagram response from an incredulous O'Dell. :laugh:

Sad situation, in any event. Hockey player that can't currently play, and a team that potentially wasted a draft pick on him. :(

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agree that the NHL is probably in discussions with the Jets because of the recent issues. Not so sure I agree with the ******* part (not even going to try to guess this word, but I'm sure it wasn't something along the lines of booboo-head :D) - if someone signs a contract, is that signature not worth something? Why should an organization have to bend over backwards for someone that wants to break a promise? Maybe I'm being too old-skool about this, but it rubs me the wrong way.

I might have less of an issue if Telegin handled it less "publicly", and allowed TNSE the opportunity to set the tone for how this was presented to the media, rather than having it "break" via an instagram response from an incredulous O'Dell. :laugh:

Sad situation, in any event. Hockey player that can't currently play, and a team that potentially wasted a draft pick on him. :(

I can't argue with any of this too vociferously. Actually, I'm just happy I spelled vociferously correctly. :D

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Swing and a miss by Chevy.

Some used to talk about guys like Sutter as being "Chevy type players". I'm glad that the Jets most recent draft suggests that a "Chevy type player" has talent, not just bellicosity.

I think a Chevy type of player is one that works his ass off. Whether that is a guy like Petan or a guy like Sutter they have a connection in that they work there butts off in practice and in games.

They are having issues with non Winnipeg draft picks like Burmistrov and Telegin because they don't seem to have that component to their makeup.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think a Chevy type of player is one that works his ass off. Whether that is a guy like Petan or a guy like Sutter they have a connection in that they work there butts off in practice and in games.

They are having issues with non Winnipeg draft picks like Burmistrov and Telegin because they don't seem to have that component to their makeup.

Heard multiple reports saying Sutter doesn't "work his ass off".

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What I find interesting is that switching leagues (although not under the same contract) happens all the time in NA too... just we don't see it in the pro's much because there usually isn't another option.

We see guys jump between CHL, NCAA, USHL, NAHL, BCHL, etc. all the time because the player doesn't think that staying is best for their long term goals.

Sometimes they are right in their decision; sometimes they are wrong.

It's easy to typecast someone as being self-interested and greedy when really nearly every decision a person makes is out of self-interest.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It's easy to typecast someone as being self-interested and greedy when really nearly every decision a person makes is out of self-interest.

Sign a contract or don't, but if you do, honour it. Does a signature mean nothing?

If you feel that your interests are better served breaking that contract, then discuss it with your employer in a professional manner. That's the only point I'm trying to make - I'm not typecasting anyone as greedy or self-interested, simply speaking to the professionalism of what took place.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Sign a contract or don't, but if you do, honour it. Does a signature mean nothing?

If you feel that your interests are better served breaking that contract, then discuss it with your employer in a professional manner. That's the only point I'm trying to make - I'm not typecasting anyone as greedy or self-interested, simply speaking to the professionalism of what took place.

Junior cards and committed to a university are a form of contract IMO.

Julian Melchiori (UMass Lowell), Mark Scheifele (Cornell), Eric O`Dell (St. Cloud)... were all one time committed to universities and is a grey area on whether it should be LBC.

I just mean that it's viewed in a different light in NHL vs KHL when really it's quite common all over.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Oh, I agree, but NHL - KHL have an MOU in place that makes it a more serious issue.

I guess the fact I've had a few employees break their contracts makes these issues hit home. Nothing like paying relocation fees, only to have someone leave you in a lurch. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Heard multiple reports saying Sutter doesn't "work his ass off".

He did his draft year. Last year he was out of shape most of the year and it showed. Ended up with no contract and back in the WHL for his 20 year old year. If he doesn't work this year I doubt he gets a contract but everything I heard has been positive so far.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
BZEcmqACUAA6WeL.jpg:medium

Note the depth chart and prospect lists to Chevy's left.

Obviously we can't read the names, but it is interesting to see.

Also interesting to see the Eagles and EHL on the board.

pic.twitter.com/4m7sIlkME5

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Chevy's ear isn't glued to the earpiece of his phone. Bad GM isn't shopping Kane to make his team better. Fire his ass now. :sarcasm:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Must be an old picture if the Eagles are on the board.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow

c'mon Joe, broad brushes

Burmi's problems weren't work ethic related so much as fitting his game into the system, which he did fine after being benched last year

aslo in Telegin's case, I think worrying about setting a precedent is a pretty minor thing since I don't expect too many Russians getting drafted by TNSE any time soon

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
aslo in Telegin's case, I think worrying about setting a precedent is a pretty minor thing since I don't expect too many Russians getting drafted by TNSE any time soon

I don't think the Jets are alone in worrying about setting a precedent - this is an NHL issue, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've had couple of discussions with NHL management about it.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I don't think the Jets are alone in worrying about setting a precedent - this is an NHL issue, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've had couple of discussions with the BOG about it.

good point

also just realized the board of governors have an aptly descriptive acronym

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->