Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
1200187024_slide.jpg

1200194787_slide.jpg

1200194788_slide.jpg

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Was doing research about Markus Mattsson few days ago and noticed that this day was near.

On this day 40 years ago Mattsson recorded the first shutout of the NHL Jets.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch 13 February 1980
Markus Mattsson once hoped to be recording shutouts for the New York Islanders... not against them.

But there was the 22-year-old Mattsson, recalled from the minors last month, wearing the uniform of the Winnipeg Jets and turning in the expansion club´s first National Hockey League shutout, a scoreless deadlock Tuesday night with the red-faced Islanders.

"They never offered me a contract," said the native of Suoneiemi, Finland who was the Islanders´ sixth choice in the 1977 amateur draft.

Mattsson agreed to come to the Islanders´ training camp that August, but the Jets then in the World Hockey Association, jumped in and signed him.

"Every year after that my lawyer talked with the Islanders, but nothing happened," Mattsson explained- "It was on my mind tonight. I wanted to show them."

But at the end everything I have read about Mattsson he did seem to enjoy in Winnipeg and has been delighted about the alumni stuff.

Markus%2BMattsson2.jpg

Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->