Winnipeg Jets History

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club announced today that Anders Hedberg, Bobby Hull and Ulf Nilsson will be the first inductees into a newly created Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame.

The three players were members of the prolific ‘Hot Line’, which, as a trio, led the Winnipeg Jets to two World Hockey Association (WHA) championships in 1976 and 1978, and remains one of the most potent lines in professional hockey history.

Members of Hot Line will be honoured in the inaugural Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at the MTS Centre when the Winnipeg Jets play the Toronto Maple Leafs

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=889474&navid=DL|WPG|home

https://www.nhl.com/news/winnipeg-jets-to-induct-bobby-hull-hot-line-to-hall-of-fame/c-281180580

cut.jpg

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Great to see! I love when clubs promote their history (although never been a fan of sweater retirement, to be frank).

Thoughts on who else is likely to get in?

For goaltenders, here's the top ten list of career regular season Goals Above Replacement (WHA + NHL combined):

Pretty short top-two list (weird trivia: the Jets have had 39 goaltenders in their history. 15 of them have a career Jets GAR below zero).

Daley's got to go first, given his role on three AVCO Cup teams. Then Essensa, then no goalies for a long time?

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
With all due respect to the Winnipeg Jets 1.0 is there truly enough players that played for them that would be deemed "Hall of Fame worthy? Besides the inaugural class of Hull, Hedberg, and Nilsson the only players I could see being worthy of a team Hall of Fame would be Hawerchuk, Selanne, Steen, and Tkachuk. Would they induct players who were good, but not great such as McLean, Babych, Smail, Carlyle, Housley, Numminen, Zhamnov, etc? Honestly I can't think of any goalie would be deserving of induction as their only decent goalie was Khabiboulin (Bob Essensa was terrible), and he didn't play for them long enough before the franchise moved to Phoenix for induction in a team Hall of Fame.

Basically after the first three classes or so, even if you do induct a few owners, executives, and coaches who would be deserving of the Winnipeg Jets Hall of Fame?

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
With all due respect to the Winnipeg Jets 1.0 is there truly enough players that played for them that would be deemed "Hall of Fame worthy?

Considering that it's the Jets Hall of Fame, yes. It's their bar to set. With all due respect.

Re: goalies, Essensa and Daley were not "terrible".

Re: how often they induct classes, why assume something until they tell you otherwise?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Yes, I saw this over on the Jets Team Page earlier, great to see, and no, Essensa was not "terrible" in Winnipeg. Quite the opposite in fact.... Like to see original Jets owner & main proponent, engine of the WHA Ben Hatskin inducted/honored as well. Quite the colorful individual with a bit of a notorious past.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Considering that it's the Jets Hall of Fame, yes. It's their bar to set. With all due respect.

Re: how often they induct classes, why assume something until they tell you otherwise?

Maybe you are right, I did use a few assumptions such as assuming they would induct three people per class with one class per year. If they reduce the amount of people inducted per class, and maybe only induct someone every 2-3 years, it may work out. Also it is their bar, not mine, but I still don't think the Jets have enough players who could be honoured in a Hall of Fame. If they decide to reward individual teams like the Avco Cup winners, or the team from a reasonably successful NHL season it could also work.

As for Bob Essensa, looking at his numbers for the Jets he only had one season with more than 30 wins as the legitimate number one goalie at the time. His numbers for the era were better than I expected. However from everything I have seen of his work, it seems that he always gave up a brutal goal at a crucial time which hurts him in my eyes. It probably didn't help that he played in the same division as the two best teams for some of his time with the Jets though, as more playoff success would elevate his status.

I did not mention Daley as I don't know much about him, but three Avco Cups are impressive. Was it more of a "he was an average player on a good team" argument (ex. Osgood) or more of a "without him they would not have been as successful" narrative?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Appropriate

Maybe you are right, I did use a few assumptions such as assuming they would induct three people per class with one class per year. If they reduce the amount of people inducted per class, and maybe only induct someone every 2-3 years, it may work out. Also it is their bar, not mine, but I still don't think the Jets have enough players who could be honoured in a Hall of Fame. If they decide to reward individual teams like the Avco Cup winners, or the team from a reasonably successful NHL season it could also work.

As for Bob Essensa, looking at his numbers for the Jets he only had one season with more than 30 wins as the legitimate number one goalie at the time. His numbers for the era were better than I expected. However from everything I have seen of his work, it seems that he always gave up a brutal goal at a crucial time which hurts him in my eyes. It probably didn't help that he played in the same division as the two best teams for some of his time with the Jets though, as more playoff success would elevate his status.

I did not mention Daley as I don't know much about him, but three Avco Cups are impressive. Was it more of a "he was an average player on a good team" argument (ex. Osgood) or more of a "without him they would not have been as successful" narrative?

More of an appropriate goalie for the team. Nice blend of styles and skills at both ends.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The old Jets team (Now the Coyotes) always had some decent players during their time in Winnipeg, good to see a Hall of Fame now those guys.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly I can't think of any goalie would be deserving of induction as their only decent goalie was Khabiboulin (Bob Essensa was terrible), and he didn't play for them long enough before the franchise moved to Phoenix for induction in a team Hall of Fame.

Bob Essensa was not "terrible" by any stretch as a Winnipeg Jet.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Bob Essensa was not "terrible" by any stretch as a Winnipeg Jet.

Essensa had one bad year for the Jets in 1993-94. All other years (1988-93), he was in the upper half of NHL starting goalies. He had really good runs in 89-90, 91-92, and 92-93.

Goalie Bob was a Vezina Trophy finalist during the 91-92 season, but GMAIL Mike Smith sat him out during the playoffs for reasons that that never been verified. Rumor was that Smith did not want to give Essensa his bonuses or pay him more in 92 once his contract was renegotiated.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Essensa had one bad year for the Jets in 1993-94. All other years (1988-93), he was in the upper half of NHL starting goalies. He had really good runs in 89-90, 91-92, and 92-93.

Hard to assign too much blame to Essensa in 1993-94, the team was a total bottom dweller and the defense was a shambles.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Goalie Bob was a Vezina Trophy finalist during the 91-92 season, but GMAIL Mike Smith sat him out during the playoffs for reasons that that never been verified. Rumor was that Smith did not want to give Essensa his bonuses or pay him more in 92 once his contract was renegotiated.

Mike Smith had a similar situation with Phil Housley, he didn't want to give Housley what he was asking for so he shipped him to St.Louis...

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

I think if it were three every three years, the Jets could continue doing them for the next several decades. Most teams have 25-30 players and executives that stand out from the rest; for dynasty teams that's probably a bit easier, but the WHA component adds to the pool of overall talent. I suppose they could even make a special exception for a couple of post-relocation era talents.

My choices including this year in no particular order:

Essensa
Steen
Hawerchuk
Smail
Numminen
Selanne
Housley
Carlyle
Wilson
MacLean
Boschman
Tkachuk
Babych
Mullen
Olausson
Lukowich
Lindstrom (WHA)
Sjoberg (WHA)
Hornung (WHA)
Hull (WHA)
Hedberg (WHA)
Nilsson (WHA)
Daley (WHA)
McDonald (WHA)
Ferguson Sr. (Builder)
Mike Smith (Builder)
Ben Haskin (Builder)
Rudy Pilous (Builder) (WHA)
Annis Stikus (Builder) (WHA)

That's 30, or ten classes of inductees. By the time those thirty years are up, players and builders from the current generation of Jets will be worthy inductees, and so on and so forth.

And yes, I know Ab McDonald sticks out like a sore thumb, but he was a Winnipeg boy who made good and became the first captain and first scorer in Jets team history and is already an Honoured Member of the Manitoba Sports and Hockey HOFs. He would be a fine "community" choice, and hopefully one made before he passes on.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
only lightly on topic but you guys remember when zhamnov, selanne, and tkachuk were on the same line and people called them the hot line, part two?

they were our rivals but i felt bad for wpg fans over how that turned out.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
only lightly on topic but you guys remember when zhamnov, selanne, and tkachuk were on the same line and people called them the hot line, part two?

they were our rivals but i felt bad for wpg fans over how that turned out.

All three deserve to be in the Jets HoF.

It was a real sad time.

Chicago offered Tkachuk a huge contract that we had to match.

When the new owners bought the ream they said they could not afford to pay all three and GM Paddock had to trade one.

That ended up being Selanne.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Lineups for the Alumni game.

WINNIPEG JETS

Dale Hawerchuk F

Thomas Steen F

Dave Babych D

Laurie Boschman F

Mike Eagles F

Dave Ellett D

Bob Essensa G

Mike Ford D

Kris King F

Jim Kyte D

Mario Marois D

Morris Lukowich F

Moe Mantha D

Andrew McBain F

Brian Mullen F

Teppo Numminen D

Teemu Selanne F

Darrin Shannon F

Doug Smail F

Tim Watters D

Ron Wilson F

EDMONTON OILERS

Kevin Lowe D

Dave Semenko F

Wayne Gretzky F

Mark Messier F

Glenn Anderson F

Paul Coffey D

Grant Fuhr G

Jari Kurri F

Kelly Buchberger F

Charlie Huddy D

Ken Linseman F

Craig Muni D

Craig MacTavish F

Bill Ranford G

Craig Simpson F

Steve Smith D

CpHR8BVUsAAKUfJ.jpg

Reactions: rfournier103

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets are looking to make the Hall of Fame an annual event.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/teppo-teemu-to-suit-up-for-alums-389353771.html

"Jets chairman Mark Chipman said Friday the organization is preparing to include and invite about 70 other former players to participate in that week’s events."

“We’re calling them non-playing alumni and we’ve collaborated with existing Jets alumni, Jordy Douglas and Joe Daley,” Chipman said."

Now we think this can re-energize all of that and we can get that alumni up and going again and it connects to our hall of fame and we can do that on an annual basis."

“And this just catapults us into doing all this.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->