Winnipeg Jets – How do you transfer history?

WPGFAN

Jun 3, 2011
Minneapolis
That's the thing, Dale Hawerchuk's #10 does hang in Glendale, AZ even though he never played in the dessert - the same goes with Thomas Steen's #25 and Bobby Hull's #9; at least Tempo Numminen played in both Winnipeg and Phoenix. You would think there were would be some consideration to retire those numbers in Winnipeg, however there would be a scenario where two organizations are claiming the same players. Because the NHL owns the Coyotes and the Jets trademark, do you think the past history (i.e. team stats and retired numbers) could be transferred or purchased from the Coyotes? Could #9, #10, and #25 be unretired by Phoenix and retired by the Winnipeg Jets II?

Granted most of this is philosophical and theoretical. I wonder who would claim the championship if the Jets I would have won the Stanley Cup.

It gets even more of a question when Phoenix moves to Quebec or another city after next season.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
The problem is lineage. In Ottawa's case the former Sens had folded so TECHNICALLY the new Sens even though they were an expansion team could be classed as a re-activated original Sens franchise, they just acquired their players through an expansion draft due to the time between folding and re-activating.

But even that isn't the case... check the NHL record book and see how many Cups they credit to the Ottawa Senators (none) or where Cy Denneny ranks on their all time top scorers list (nowhere). The "re-activation" thing was just a marketing campaign the NHL was complicit in, the legal reality is different. As someone said, it's all legal fiction .

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
The "re-activation" thing was just a marketing campaign the NHL was complicit in, the legal reality is different. As someone said, it's all legal fiction .
There is no "legal reality" when it comes to scoring records or Stanley Cup wins, though. The NHL might take an official position on such things in their publications, but that's not the only way to look at things, and I doubt there's anything in their constitution or by-laws that even addresses this type of thing. (I may be wrong on that).

Focusing too much on the "franchise" can lead to some confusing situations, especially from the early days when shenanigans were commonplace.

Edit: I mean, since the original Ottawa Senators franchise no longer exists, does that mean their Cup wins didn't happen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad