OT: Winnipeg in the NHL: What the hockey world thought in 2004

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I think they could do it but I also don't think the NHL would never want a team there. If we use CFL attendance as a measuring stick. in 2016 they drew on average 31K at home games vs our 26K average at home games. they also have a population difference of almost 500K.

https://stats.cfldb.ca/league/cfl/attendance/2016/

I also think the NHL is a different animal than the CFL and would garner even more support. BUT the sticking point would be the cost of season tickets and single game tickets, which in turn may drive down support. Plus there may not be as much corporate support (unsure how our industries stack up) and also distribution of wealth in Saskatchewan.

I think it's more than just prices. A lot of that support is people driving in from Saskatoon a few hours away. It's one thing to do that once every two weeks on average for 9 or 10 times, but even with an endless supply of money, not many will do that for Monday-Thursday games.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think it's more than just prices. A lot of that support is people driving in from Saskatoon a few hours away. It's one thing to do that once every two weeks on average for 9 or 10 times, but even with an endless supply of money, not many will do that for Monday-Thursday games.

The NHL arena for the Blues was supposed to be built in Davidson was it not? Everyone other than a few thousand Davidsonites would've been in the same boat

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport
And to just think...if Balsillie had played his cards right, instead of fighting the establishment, I have no doubt Hamilton would have gotten our team by 2009 at the latest. I am still convinced that the reason Bettman fought so hard to keep the Coyotes in Arizona was ego driven, as a move by the franchise would have vindicated Balsillie. I admit to feeling bad for the people of Hamilton. They ahve been jerked around by the NHL for 30 years. In a perfect world the Arizona franchise would ahve returned to Winnipeg (like the Raiders or Rams), but beggars cannot be choosers.

It's been said outright by Mark Chipman that True North has had meetings with the NHL about purchasing a team as far back as 2007, IIRC, they were even offered the Predators, but had to buy the team and play out the lease in Nashville before being allowed to move to Winnipeg. It's where the Polar Bear jersey came from, Manitoba Predators, with the Polar Bear being Manitoba's apex predator. Craig Leipold instead bought the team and kept it afloat in Nashville until local ownership stepped in. In turn he was allowed first dibs to buy the Minnesota Wild, as he did the league a solid.

I don't believe Jim Balsillie was ever going to be approved by the BOG, because of the way he did things. I also don't believe Bettman has an anti-Canadian bias, it was just coincidental that he took over in the 90s during the sunbelt expansion and poor economic situation in Canada. I think with the Quebec expansion bid, it was shelved either due to the declining Canadian dollar, or to keep that group on hold in case Peter Karmanos can't sell the Canes locally, the Islanders run out of options in the New York area or the Coyotes situation finally becomes too much. And with the Coyotes, there was always someone willing to try and make it work. In 2010 when the NHL owned the team, the city of Glendale voted to use taxpayer money to subsidize losses. When Stephen Burke and Richard Gluckstern bought the Jets 1.0, they didn't have a city in mind to relocate to, it was whoever would give them the best lease deal. Jets 1.0 were slated to be moved to the Twin Cities, but that deal fell through when Manitoba Spirit was allowed to cut in line to negotiate a local deal to keep the team. Phoenix was never plan A. Quebec, Hartford, Atlanta and ultimately Jets 1.0 never had the advocates that the Coyotes do.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The NHL arena for the Blues was supposed to be built in Davidson was it not? Everyone other than a few thousand Davidsonites would've been in the same boat

Davidson, SK?

No. That would make no sense whatsoever. Davidson only has 1,000 people, and is not even close to any urban centre. Besides, you ahve to keep in mind the arena would be used for other things besides the NHL.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea it was Saskatoon back in the day and Wild Bill Hunter was one of the guys spearheading the move to bring the Blues to Saskatoon.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Davidson is about halfway between Regina and Saskatoon. I guess the theory would be that it would cut the commute by half for everyone. But it makes no sense, as the arena needs to be used for other things too.

Anyway, there's no question that Saskatchewan would have great fans. The province has similar population as Manitoba, but divided by two major centres, so kind of hard to get enough local support to make it work. Saskatchewanites don't think anything of getting in a car (truck, lol) and driving for a few hours. But to do this for 40+ games, most of them in the dead of winter and many during the week, I just don't see it working. Games starting at 7:30 end approx at 10- 10:30. Add a 2.5 hour commute and you're not home before 1 am. That road between Regina and Saskatoon can be pretty treacherous, especially nearer Saskatoon. Add a few thousand extra vehicles. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Too bad though. If the CFL is any indication, I can't imagine how crazy the hockey fans would be.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I remember the "Saskatoon's got the Blues" bumper stickers. I was living in Saskatchewan at the time. Not much made sense there TBH ;) (the striippers in PA performed at a pizza restaurant thar served no alcohol) There was a proposal to build an NHL arena in Davidson. Not sure if it was a serious option or not.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I remember the "Saskatoon's got the Blues" bumper stickers. I was living in Saskatchewan at the time. Not much made sense there TBH ;) (the striippers in PA performed at a pizza restaurant thar served no alcohol) There was a proposal to build an NHL arena in Davidson. Not sure if it was a serious option or not.

I believe it's still a law that alcohol can't served at a strip joint. Kind of a weird law.

THOU SHALT NOT MIX BOOBS AND BOOZE

DougieSmail

Feb 11, 2017
I'll never forget that wonderful spring of 2011 listening daily for updates on first the Coyotes saga, followed immediately by the news the Thrashers were actually the situation to watch. I remember it was a Thursday evening when Stephen Brunt said the move to Winnipeg was a done deal. JetsOwner blew up and 1290 went on the air immediately with live discussion.. so amazing to remember those days

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
It's been said outright by Mark Chipman that True North has had meetings with the NHL about purchasing a team as far back as 2007, IIRC, they were even offered the Predators, but had to buy the team and play out the lease in Nashville before being allowed to move to Winnipeg. It's where the Polar Bear jersey came from, Manitoba Predators, with the Polar Bear being Manitoba's apex predator. Craig Leipold instead bought the team and kept it afloat in Nashville until local ownership stepped in. In turn he was allowed first dibs to buy the Minnesota Wild, as he did the league a solid.

Although it would have been nice to have the NHL return sooner than 2011, if the delay is what allowed for our team to be called the Winnipeg Jets instead of the Manitoba Bears, then I'm glad we had to wait until the time was right for things to work out the way they did. However, I guess if it was the Coyotes that were purchased then the choice to re-brand them the Jets would have been an easy one to make. I'll always be thankful we got the name most of us wanted. :thumbu:

:jets

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Man! Reading that thread and some of those ignoramuses that posted such trash about Winnipeg. Funny to read it knowing what eventually happened and how wrong they were. Especially sounding like they were so full of knowledge and authority on the subject. Shows how little they really know.
Would never ever do this, but the thought of copying and pasting some of their comments and asking them what they thought now made me smile. Of course, an a-hole will always be an a-hole and the whole bs would just start up again.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Although it would have been nice to have the NHL return sooner than 2011, if the delay is what allowed for our team to be called the Winnipeg Jets instead of the Manitoba Bears, then I'm glad we had to wait until the time was right for things to work out the way they did. However, I guess if it was the Coyotes that were purchased then the choice to re-brand them the Jets would have been an easy one to make. I'll always be thankful we got the name most of us wanted. :thumbu:

I'm quite fine with the Jets name being brought back. But quite honestly, I was never a really huge fan of the name back when we were a WHA team. It was OK, but thought there was so many other options that would be more indicative of our city or province.
I kinda liked the idea of keeping the Predators name with a polar bear logo.
I also like the Winnipeg Blizzard, but couldn't imagine a good looking logo to go with it. DQ would naturally be one of our biggest sponsors and supporter, lol.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Man! Reading that thread and some of those ignoramuses that posted such trash about Winnipeg. Funny to read it knowing what eventually happened and how wrong they were. Especially sounding like they were so full of knowledge and authority on the subject. Shows how little they really know.
Would never ever do this, but the thought of copying and pasting some of their comments and asking them what they thought now made me smile. Of course, an a-hole will always be an a-hole and the whole bs would just start up again.

Yes, some of the comments were downright insulting toward Winnipeg. The poster going by the name of Slats432 was quite ignorant about the chances of Winnipeg ever getting another shot at the NHL. I also noticed the poster that went by the name Bicycle Repairman stopped posting on HFBoards in 2005 so maybe he knew we'd eventually get a team back and didn't want to get bashed by all the Jets supporters. I'm glad that Jets4Life posted that link from 2004 as it increases my satisfaction that TNSE accomplished for us what the naysayers said was impossible and only a dream.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Yes, some of the comments were downright insulting toward Winnipeg. The poster going by the name of Slats432 was quite ignorant about the chances of Winnipeg ever getting another shot at the NHL. I also noticed the poster that went by the name Bicycle Repairman stopped posting on HFBoards in 2005 so maybe he knew we'd eventually get a team back and didn't want to get bashed by all the Jets supporters. I'm glad that Jets4Life posted that link from 2004 as it increases my satisfaction that TNSE accomplished for us what the naysayers said was impossible and only a dream.

Yup. Those were the two that got under my skin the most. Comforting knowing we got the last laugh in the end. Thanks Jsts4Life for resurrecting this from the past.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm quite fine with the Jets name being brought back. But quite honestly, I was never a really huge fan of the name back when we were a WHA team. It was OK, but thought there was so many other options that would be more indicative of our city or province.
I kinda liked the idea of keeping the Predators name with a polar bear logo.
I also like the Winnipeg Blizzard, but couldn't imagine a good looking logo to go with it. DQ would naturally be one of our biggest sponsors and supporter, lol.

Just duplicate Carolina's logo. :laugh: It works like **** for a Hurricane and wouldn't be any worse for a Blizzard. :laugh: Or stick with the White Out. All white. White numbers on a white jersey. White pants, white skates. OK, OK, I'll stop now.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Just duplicate Carolina's logo. :laugh: It works like **** for a Hurricane and wouldn't be any worse for a Blizzard. :laugh: Or stick with the White Out. All white. White numbers on a white jersey. White pants, white skates. OK, OK, I'll stop now.

Funny you said that. I was thinking of Carolina's logo when I wrote that. One of the ugliest in the NHL.:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->