OT: Winnipeg, I'm coming in hot!

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
Awesome fellas, much appreciated! I've been all over google checking out these suggestions and they look deadly. Hopefully you don't get hammered with too much rain/lightning/wind tonight. If they start canceling flights, I'll be very screwed. Elephant and Castle might be the stop in pre game. I'll be the guy without the Jets Jersey :laugh:

bazaaa*

If you go to La Bamba, get this:
Groupon (my referral link).
It's $60 value for $30. Meal for two will probably be roughly $30, so might as well get this groupon, and have an extra $30 for drinks and dessert.
If you enjoy Mexican go to La Bamba. If you're 'meh' on Mexican, then I wouldn't bother. I like it though. I've gone a couple times using their groupon. THey have some Mexican beer as well. It's more authentic Mex than Tex Mex. The owners/staff are Mexican.

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
Got in a little late, but I made it. Hit up the Jets Gear store and bought a couple hats and a shirt, but didn't have much time so I'll probably stop in again tomorrow. Just got back from La Bamba and it was fantastic. Reminded me of a little place back home that I love that's also very authentic. Great recommendation, thanks. Had an interesting encounter this evening. On the walk home there is an under privileged fella following us asking if he could have a moment of our time. I turn around to confront him, and he stops dead in his tracks and gives me a look like I just killed someone. I politely say I don't have any time to give, and he takes a step back, and just stands there silent. Was really really strange. GF says my beard must have freaked him out (she doesn't like it) :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Got in a little late, but I made it. Hit up the Jets Gear store and bought a couple hats and a shirt, but didn't have much time so I'll probably stop in again tomorrow. Just got back from La Bamba and it was fantastic. Reminded me of a little place back home that I love that's also very authentic. Great recommendation, thanks. Had an interesting encounter this evening. On the walk home there is an under privileged fella following us asking if he could have a moment of our time. I turn around to confront him, and he stops dead in his tracks and gives me a look like I just killed someone. I politely say I don't have any time to give, and he takes a step back, and just stands there silent. Was really really strange. GF says my beard must have freaked him out (she doesn't like it) :laugh:

If you guys haven't made plans for breakfast there is a Stella's that is walking distance from your hotel that is pretty good.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada

Was he wearing a baseball hat, long hair, possibly a goatee, and mentioned Jesus?

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
If you guys haven't made plans for breakfast there is a Stella's that is walking distance from your hotel that is pretty good.

woke up a little late so just ended up eating breakfast in the hotel. It was actually really good, and very inexpensive.

Was he wearing a baseball hat, long hair, possibly a goatee, and mentioned Jesus?

No hat, he had long hair, and like a 5 day beard, on the heavier side, brown hoodie. He just froze when I turned around.. didn't ask for money or mention Jesus, just stood there silent. Really was strange how he was asking for "a moment of our time". I've never had that before. Is he a local star? :laugh:

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
Just put a lien on my house at the Jets Gear store, but I feel very okay with it :nod:

Their isn't much out east for Jets stuff. A few cheap hats and shirts, and the odd sweater, so I stocked up. I will be in full colours tonight.

Walked past Cory Schneider and Adam Henrique walking down Portage past the Radission, I wished them luck... :laugh:

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
Heading out here in a few, gonna go to Elephant and Castle for some pregame eats and brews. Early flight out in the morning so it'll be straight to bed after the game.. For this night I am a local once more! GO JETS GO!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Just put a lien on my house at the Jets Gear store, but I feel very okay with it :nod:

Their isn't much out east for Jets stuff. A few cheap hats and shirts, and the odd sweater, so I stocked up. I will be in full colours tonight.

Walked past Cory Schneider and Adam Henrique walking down Portage past the Radission, I wished them luck... :laugh:

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT???? :rant:

jk :)

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Heading out here in a few, gonna go to Elephant and Castle for some pregame eats and brews. Early flight out in the morning so it'll be straight to bed after the game.. For this night I am a local once more! GO JETS GO!

Glad you and the GF got in on a Jets win!

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT???? :rant:

jk :)

honestly, I was a little star struck and it was the first thing that came to mind... :laugh: had a few shoulda, coulda thoughts after that..

Safe travels back to NB. Glad you were treated to such a great game last night.

Glad you and the GF got in on a Jets win!

What were your thoughts?

Thanks guys, much appreciated. It was short and sweet, and very surreal. We were talking after we got back about how less than 24 hours ago we were in Winnipeg, at the MTS Centre, watching a Jets game, live. Freakin mind blow man.. It was something I wasn't sure if it would ever happen. I've been saying it since the Jets returned, I need to see a game in Winnipeg. My friends have been chirping me that I need to go see a home game. And now it's happened, and it did not disappoint!

The whole build up, flying into Winnipeg, passing by old buildings I remembered, street names I remembered, started it off very nostalgic. I got a lot of "Where are you from?" and "That's a long way for a hockey game!" :laugh: So it was cool to tell my story. We didn't get a chance to really tour the city much, but we came there for a hockey game, so we really tried to keep that in mind with all our plans. Like when we went to eat before the game, we went early and I wanted a window seat so I could watch the street. You could slowly start to see the colours walking by, more and more as time went on. The buzz all around the arena. Just walking up to it as the lines are starting to build up, you could feel it in the air. Awesome. We got in there at about 5:40 and just took our time. I'm not a gambling man, but I had to buy a 50/50 and a Jersey draw ticket. Walked around and checked out some different seats just to see, but when we got to our seats, my jaw dropped. I'm usually an upper bowl, follow the play kind of guy, but these seats were sick. Sect 119, row 11, seats 5&6. Seeing with my own eyes, the guys I've been reading about, everyday, for the past 3 years (Noticing also that Jagr is weird with his sticks at warmup).
The anthem starts and I'm waiting for it.. I yell it.. "TRUE NORTH!" Haha, I know it sounds lame, but just to be in there and able to shout with everyone, who I know are just as excited to have a hockey team to cheer for.. almost made me wanna happy man cry. It was real, I was there, holy **** would someone please ****ing pinch me.
My only surprise was the people beside me. I swear they spent more time on their phones then watching the game, no joking. A little too uppity for my taste, but hey, you can't choose your neighbors, and that didn't stop my fun. Making up for them was a row of guys, in their late teens, sitting right behind me. They were right into it, and helped bring me out of my shell a bit. I kind of followed their lead, as they tried starting a few chants, and had hilarious commentary too. They were paying attention like me, on the edge of their seats the OOHHH's and AAHHH's.. That Buff hit on Harrold! Some high fives at the end for the Jets shaking that monkey off their backs!
Then somehow I got myself to bed after all of this, spent most of the day running through airports, and now I'm home on my couch thinking about what I'll make for lunch for work tomorrow.. Crazy.. It's all crazyness.. I have to say thanks again guys for the help, this place is forever cool in my books simply for the people on here. Thank you Jets for a night I'll never forget. Cheers! :handclap:
Sorry for the grammatical errors, and the long read.. just kinda spilling my thoughts onto the screen, and I'm still riding the wave :D

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Great post Kinjero! I really like it when people share these kind of stories about getting their first taste of action at the MTS centre.

I am really pumped the boys won for you because that changes everything even for us grizzled veteran season ticket holder types let alone an expat and his GF on a road trip!! :handclap::handclap:

bazaaa*

Though I've never set in the lower bowl, I'd assume that's the one downfall, is that it can be quieter in some places.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Though I've never set in the lower bowl, I'd assume that's the one downfall, is that it can be quieter in some places.

I was in denial initially.
My section, or more accurately the people around me in my section 117 are all great. We're engaged, we've become friends, we're loud and obnoxious, its great.

But I keep hearing about debbie downers in the lower bowl. It must be true, I'm just glad I was lucky enough to avoid them.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I was in denial initially.
My section, or more accurately the people around me in my section 117 are all great. We're engaged, we've become friends, we're loud and obnoxious, its great.

But I keep hearing about debbie downers in the lower bowl. It must be true, I'm just glad I was lucky enough to avoid them.

Our section has a number of the Debbie Downer's for sure. Some of the Tracy Texters too when people are being "too loud". Guys behind us have been warned about language a couple of times but it's mostly good spirited and I'd keep them over the calm, sedate times any day. Two rows are lots of fun, most of the rest are too quiet. Lots of tickets in our section get sold on a regular basis though and one pair seems to be owned by a guy that seeks out fans of the visiting team. Weird.

Kinjero, great story and really happy you had a great time. Wish I could see a shutout in person. ;)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The only game I've been able to attend in the 2.0 era was the second of the dbl-header against the caps last year. :cry:

I'm hoping to take in another this year so fingers crossed I get to see a win...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad