OT: Winnipeg ICE 2021-2022 [ICE @ Brandon Fri Dec 17]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I don't think you do. Instead, you thank your lucky stars that you're not paying a multi million mortgage on an empty arena.

Ha! For sure I think some in the organization are feeling a bit of relief on that front. But at the same time, the experts are expecting the pandemic situation to last another year or two... so if they broke ground soon, it's possible that the new rink might be ready right around the time the world starts returning to normal?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Connor McClennon will be starting the season in the Swedish Third Division (source: McClennon and Greig to start season in Sweden - Prince Albert Daily Herald )

He hasn't played since shortly after Christmas when he had a collarbone injury. He was supposed to come back in March but then, well, you know.

McClennon is one of the Ice's top scorers... fast kid, good hands but on the smaller side. Still projected to go as a possible second round pick.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm glad there's a second MJHL team in Winnipeg again. But the Freeze, such a stupid name, but it's better than having a team named Blues that only had baby blue in their jersey scheme. I also believe it's stupid to have the Freeze and Blues play against one another though. I'd hope the Blues move back to the Iceplex.

I hope the Wheat Kings and Oil Capitals/Neepawa join forces as affiliates.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I'm glad there's a second MJHL team in Winnipeg again. But the Freeze, such a stupid name, but it's better than having a team named Blues that only had baby blue in their jersey scheme. I also believe it's stupid to have the Freeze and Blues play against one another though. I'd hope the Blues move back to the Iceplex.

So what is going on with the Freeze, is this just a temporary parking lot for Ice staff in the expectation that the dub doesn't play this season? Doesn't seem to me that this is a long-term play?

I haven't been to a MJHL game in 30 years but I would definitely go if they're the only game in town this fall, which it's starting to look like they will be.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

Unfortuneatly players Teir II rights can be held by a team in each of the 6 or 7 CJHL leagues. The WHL doesn't have much say where they players get assigned. It's pretty much whoever has room and what team in what league as their rights. Which is too bad because the MJHL while getting better as teams are spending more isn't usually the first choice for players.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
So what is going on with the Freeze, is this just a temporary parking lot for Ice staff in the expectation that the dub doesn't play this season? Doesn't seem to me that this is a long-term play?

I haven't been to a MJHL game in 30 years but I would definitely go if they're the only game in town this fall, which it's starting to look like they will be.

I find they care too much about connections. I clarified the Heisinger part on how they just give Craig Heisinger's kids the golden ticket, but what I also realized is Matt Cockell's wife is also working within the organization.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I find they care too much about connections. I clarified the Heisinger part on how they just give Craig Heisinger's kids the golden ticket, but what I also realized is Matt Cockell's wife is also working within the organization.

May be partly by necessity... it's a small business and I'm sure margins are pretty tight after a couple of less than stellar years in Kootenay, the costs of the move, the slow start in Winnipeg, etc. I noticed looking at the Blues website last year that several of the ICE front office staff including the people you mentioned were wearing the same hat for the Blues organization.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Ah so they will be.

With masks being mandatory. Although strangely, the Steinbach Pistons will not require fans to wear masks and are arguably using that as a selling point if you look at their website?!?! :eek:

Not sure about the other teams.

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
Anybody got any feelings about Gage Alexander? The lad's huge, is any good? A keeper that size could be a beast if he can put it together.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
And now we have guidelines for fans going to games.
Spectator Safety Checklist

The exiting intervals might be manageable for this small arena, but would surely be a pain if they utilize this for Jets/Moose games.

Sorry, but I find the placement of these two rules unintentionally funny.

1. At the end of the game fans will be directed to exit the arena at specified intervals. This will be moderated over the PA system and through Blues ushers to ensure everyone can maintain physical distancing measures.
  2. Any fans that are not following the social distancing guidelines will be asked to leave.

Yep, you better follow our exiting instructions at the end of the game or by God, you're out the door! :laugh:

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Not to be a smart ass but considering they draw about 100 on a good night it shouldn't be too much to work through.

I suspect attendance will be up by a bit given that the MJHL will be pretty well the only game in town this fall, although having two teams now will provide at least a little more capacity.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Hope so. The league under rated.

I don't think so. It's a terrible league. Look at how often our champs get their butts kicked when moving on to regional and national tournaments. I don't pay much attention to the east, but the MJHL is certainly the lowest quality of the 4 western provinces.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I don't think so. It's a terrible league. Look at how often our champs get their butts kicked when moving on to regional and national tournaments. I don't pay much attention to the east, but the MJHL is certainly the lowest quality of the 4 western provinces.

That was the case for a long time but look at the recent ANAVET Cup results... the MJHL is turning the tide after getting dominated by the SJHL for years. The MJHL is definitely improving.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hope so. The league under rated.

Played in it. Just a bunch of tryhard hotshot scrubs who still think they're gonna make it to the show, or best-case-scenario they play for U of M or some university on a scholarship.

I left after my first season and didn't bother playing MMJHL seeing as I needed to be more committed to University knowing I was getting somewhere with that rather than missing a class or two for a hockey game or practice. I had fun playing in the WHSHL, but I found being too competitive took the fun right out.

Last edited:
Reactions: boydkc

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
It's been getting better with Portage,Virden and Steinbach spending big bucks. it's come a long way since the 90's and early 2000's but you are definately right it's by far the least desired league for players that have a choice between the 4.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Played in it. Just a bunch of tryhard hotshot scrubs who still think they're gonna make it to the show, or best-case-scenario they play for U of M or some university on a scholarship.

I left after my first season and didn't bother playing MMJHL seeing as I needed to be more committed to University knowing I was getting somewhere with that rather than missing a class or two for a hockey game or practice. I had fun playing in the WHSHL, but I found being too competitive took the fun right out.
Smart move. I won't divulge my GPA my first semester when I played for the Riels. Lets just say it was "academic probation-worthy".

That was LONG time ago. I'm sure young hockey players don't party much anymore :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad