OT: Winnipeg ICE 2021-2022 [ICE @ Brandon Fri Dec 17]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Question for you guys:

I'm looking to buy a Winnipeg Ice jersey. I typically purchase adult small or medium NHL jerseys. Can you help translate that into WHL/CCM sizing?

heyyyyy...why didn't you tell us that you were going to be the fan of the month. Congratulations! ;)

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
heyyyyy...why didn't you tell us that you were going to be the fan of the month. Congratulations! ;)
Well, here’s the odd thing....the ICE never gave me any communication that I’d be doing a puck drop. Hence nobody walked down the ice to drop that puck, since I was in the stands.

They did give me the jersey following that debacle.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Because....the ICE never gave me any communication that I’d be doing a puck drop. Hence nobody walked down the ice to drop that puck, since I was in the stands.

They did give me the jersey following that debacle.

From my experiences with the front office side of things, I know they mean well but the organization is run on a bit of a shoestring. At least you have the jersey! Most important thing: did it fit?

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
From my experiences with the front office side of things, I know they mean well but the organization is run on a bit of a shoestring. At least you have the jersey! Most important thing: did it fit?
The sponsor did ask for jersey size in the DM I originally received, so last week I went to the Ice Shop in Oak Bluff to try on their jerseys (replicas and pros) and found adult medium to be the most appropriate fit.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Tonight's Ice vs. Pats game is on Access Regina. Anyone know of a streaming source? (Can I ask that here? I don't think Access Regina is available in Wpg otherwise)

I want to keep tabs on both Winnipeg games tonight :D

The Pats are out of the playoff hunt but they beat the Oil Kings a couple of times recently, so the Ice can't be taking this one for granted.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
It was interesting to hear Chipman's comments at today's press conference about these events potentially taking a toll on TNSE's finances. But TNSE has wealthy owners and it's a generally profitable enterprise so you know they'll pull through. But I get the impression that the Ice are on shakier ground, especially given that they're new and still developing their fanbase.

I sure hope that the potential cancellation of the rest of the WHL season along with the playoffs, especially given that the Ice would have probably benefitted from at least a couple of rounds if not more, doesn't end up doing the team in prematurely.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I'm still a bit of a WHL newb so I'm not sure how the US prospets usually play out, but Mike Sawatzky's Free Press article made it sound like these two are focused on the NCAA route. Apparently that's the case with many (if not most) of the US prospect draft picks. It will be interesting to see if one or both of them change their minds.

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
If the Ice could somehow could convince these NCAA commits to play next year.. they could easily have one of the best teams in the CHL.
Unlikely but Dylan Holloway, Carter Savoie, Shaugabay (although probably too young).

Plus Matthew Savioe and Geekie coming. I’m not too familiar with their other top prospects but seems like they could be a force.

Is Krebs expected to play pro next year? Would be amazing if he stayed for 1 more year.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Brandon Wheat Kings have been doing Twitch broadcasts of NHL 20 simulations of what would have been the first round matchup between the ICE and the Wheaties.

Game 4 was barftastic.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If the Ice could somehow could convince these NCAA commits to play next year.. they could easily have one of the best teams in the CHL.
Unlikely but Dylan Holloway, Carter Savoie, Shaugabay (although probably too young).

Plus Matthew Savioe and Geekie coming. I’m not too familiar with their other top prospects but seems like they could be a force.

Is Krebs expected to play pro next year? Would be amazing if he stayed for 1 more year.

Krebs doesn't turn 20 until Jan. 26th so if he doesn't make VGK's roster then he can't play in the AHL. I think there is a good chance that VGK gives him a long look and opportunity to make the roster. I wouldn't expect him back but if he can't hack it by game 9 then he is likely going to be back with the Ice.

With Holloway it all depends on who drafts him. But given he turned it on through the last few games I'd expect him back in NCAA. Unlikely he joins Winnipeg unless his NCAA season starts off as a disaster.

I've long thought that there is a good chance Carter joins his brother after he gets drafted. If he was drafted out of the WHL he would have to go back for another 2 seasons being a Jan. 23rd Bday. But because he will be drafted out of the AJHL he doesn't have to go back to the CHL and instead, can play 1 year with his brother before trying to make the NHL or even going to the AHL. It's actually kind of smart, because he destroys the inferior competition in the AJHL, gets himself taken in the first 2 rounds likely, then joins his brother for 1 year run with the Ice and tries to turn pro right after that.

I honestly don't know why more players don't do this, especially younger players who aren't super elite but are much better than CJHL comp. You can choose your destination, basically anywhere in Canada, as CJHL leagues don't have drafts. You bypass the CHL rule forcing you to remain in the CHL until you make the NHL or turn 20 before new years and you still have the option of going to the NCAA if you so wish too. If I was a player I'd head to beautiful BC for 2 years, play on a stacked team and get noticed, get drafted in the first two rounds and if the WHL team that had my rights was primed to go on a run I might join them if I can't make the NHL, or I have the option to go to pretty much any school as most of them make offers to the high end CJHL kids. And then I can turn pro at 18 or 19 rather than 20 if I am really good.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Bantam draft is tomorrow. I will be interested in seeing what the Wheaties and Ice do tomorrow. Not a lot of high end Manitoba talent this year couple of guys that may go in the first are Brayden Dube from Parkland, Jayden Perron and Lukas Hansen from the Winnipeg Warriors

The Ice's US picks, Jayson Shaugabay was a riser in the American ranks this year and isn't committed to any College yet but that is likely to change. I would give it a 50/50 if he ever shows up. The other kid is more likely to show up as he wasn't playing High School hockey yet and likely isn't on any College radar

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Bantam draft is tomorrow. I will be interested in seeing what the Wheaties and Ice do tomorrow. Not a lot of high end Manitoba talent this year couple of guys that may go in the first are Brayden Dube from Parkland, Jayden Perron and Lukas Hansen from the Winnipeg Warriors

The Ice's US picks, Jayson Shaugabay was a riser in the American ranks this year and isn't committed to any College yet but that is likely to change. I would give it a 50/50 if he ever shows up. The other kid is more likely to show up as he wasn't playing High School hockey yet and likely isn't on any College radar
I would include Tyler Parr from RHA in this group too, he's got a shot at the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad