Proposal: Winnipeg / Florida

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
This one will get fun from both sides. However assuming WPG can't resign Trouba and FLA is at all interested in moving Ekblad then I would say WPG still needs to add 2 significant pieces at least. The contract statuses of the players involved sway the deal massively.

That's at least on short glance. On a longer thought, why does WPG need more wingers????

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Florida sheds cap, gets the better defenseman, and gets younger. Winnipeg gets a Trouba replacement with term, and a longer term fix for their 2C.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Doesn't work for us cap wise. Also, 2018 is long gone.
Thanks for catching that, I'm living in the past lol.

I figured the Jets could shed someone like Perteault in the offseason, Huberdeau is only 1mil more and Ekblad is less than trouba's asking price iirc

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Thanks for catching that, I'm living in the past lol.

I figured the Jets could shed someone like Perteault in the offseason, Huberdeau is only 1mil more and Ekblad is less than trouba's asking price iirc
Still would need to shed one core guy before 2020, I think.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Just throwing out some ideas, I'm not 100% sure about the value so don't flame me

Winnipeg:

Jacob Trouba
2019 1st
Jack Roslovic

Florida:

Johnathan Huberdeau
Aaron Ekblad

Ok I get Ekblad......he’s not as good as a Trouba and he’s overpaid a bit.......but why Huberdeau? If we’re allocating 6 million in cap to someone let’s target a centre.....not a winger who we don’t need.

Not even discussing values of OP

Reactions: Huffer and Snowman

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If the Jets are bringing in Huberdeau, they’d be better off to move out Ehlers instead of Roslovic. Winger for winger and they have similar contracts.
Zero reason to move a C to bring in yet another winger to a team very deep at wing but needing C

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Fair point but if you don't start stocking the pond with D now and getting creative with the cap, the future will be short lived.
Who can be realistically moved in off-season? Perreault or Kulikov?

Still have a relatively full prospect cupboard. Probably need to convert Trouba and one of the wingers into a couple top 4 D at minimum. Myers will be gone, D prospects will move in.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Fair point but if you don't start stocking the pond with D now and getting creative with the cap, the future will be short lived.
Who can be realistically moved in off-season? Perreault or Kulikov?

I mean, Kulikov is going off the books after 19/20. One more season is fine, and should bridge for one of our young guys to replace his level of play.

Matty P can be moved, his contract ends in 20/21.

If we assume the premise "The jets need to free up cap space" is true, then Winnipeg needs to move Bryan Little. I don't buy that premise though.

Myers is going to come off the books this season. He'll get more on the Free Agency market than I think the Jets are comfortable giving up, but if Trouba moves on, we'll probably try to re-up him.

Trouba will either stay, or be moved for good assets.

Laine is headed for a bridge contract, which will give us enough cap relief in the short term.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Still have a relatively full prospect cupboard. Probably need to convert Trouba and one of the wingers into a couple top 4 D at minimum. Myers will be gone, D prospects will move in.

On forward, you're stacked but looking at defense I dont see a ton of potential and theres the rumor Niku or your 2019 1st may be on the block. How is Stanley progressing so far?

Just saying, FLAs 2019 1st may end up being a top 10 pick, maybe a 3 way deal where STL gets our pick + one of your better prospects, you guys get Pietro and we get Trouba??

Reactions: Beezer

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I mean, Kulikov is going off the books after 19/20. One more season is fine, and should bridge for one of our young guys to replace his level of play.

Matty P can be moved, his contract ends in 20/21.

If we assume the premise "The jets need to free up cap space" is true, then Winnipeg needs to move Bryan Little. I don't buy that premise though.

Myers is going to come off the books this season. He'll get more on the Free Agency market than I think the Jets are comfortable giving up, but if Trouba moves on, we'll probably try to re-up him.

Trouba will either stay, or be moved for good assets.

Laine is headed for a bridge contract, which will give us enough cap relief in the short term.

Ya assumed Kulikov and Perreault were easier to move with shorter term than Little. Always wondered about the Little contract, did most WPG fans like this deal? I remember watching him when I was going to college in Barrie. Knew he'd be a great player. I'd assume Little is in WPG until Roslovic can become 2c?

Wasn't trying to be rude in regards to your defense, just the RD may be in shambles if Trouba leaves and you can't get a top 4 RD in return along with Buff getting older and Myers walking. Don't see any key RD prospects in your depth chart. Guess you can look to sign a top 4 RD with the cap saved on Trouba + Myers?

A 2 year bridge for Laine? You like that option?

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Ya assumed Kulikov and Perreault were easier to move with shorter term than Little. Always wondered about the Little contract, did most WPG fans like this deal? I remember watching him when I was going to college in Barrie. Knew he'd be a great player. I'd assume Little is in WPG until Roslovic can become 2c?

Wasn't trying to be rude in regards to your defense, just the RD may be in shambles if Trouba leaves and you can't get a top 4 RD in return along with Buff getting older and Myers walking. Don't see any key RD prospects in your depth chart.

A 2 year bridge for Laine? You like that option?

I'm not a huge fan, but there aren't any great options available right now.

I want to keep my flexibility as open as possible with Laine.

I'm not shelling out a 10 million AAV for the Laine we've seen this year. He needs to show improvement for that kind of cap investment. If we buy any longer term UFA years, that's probably where the contract will need to land for him to sign.

In terms of Trouba - If we move him - which I think we will this offseason - we'll get something great in return.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm not a huge fan, but there aren't any great options available right now.

I want to keep my flexibility as open as possible with Laine.

I'm not shelling out a 10 million AAV for the Laine we've seen this year. He needs to show improvement for that kind of cap investment. If we buy any longer term UFA years, that's probably where the contract will need to land for him to sign.

In terms of Trouba - If we move him - which I think we will this offseason - we'll get something great in return.

So sounds like 2 years is ideal with Buff and Perreault's deals gone which frees up nearly $12 million, cap is going up $5-6 million in the next few years. Scary to think that's maybe what he would get if he can polish up his game and hit 45 g/75-80 pts the next 2 years? Maybe not since he's a winger but the Marner contract should clear things up a bit in figuring out a fair AAV. 2 years @ $7.5 to 8.5 million?

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Would Hoffman+Matheson+1st be enough for Trouba?

As a draft day deal?

Probably.

Depends on what else is offered from other teams. The Jets would probably give up overall value on the trade to get a better D-Man back.

Also I'd personally want an asset closer to maturity than the first rounder - even if his ceiling is lower. I'm a big believer in going all-in, but I'm not sure the WPG brass is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad