OT: Bombers 2021 Season - Elk Meat = Delicious. 6-1. Hunting Big Game next v Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Wasnt released though. Hes on their PR. He cant be claimed or anything, its different from NFL that way.

He only participated in 2 days of TC, hes been hurt likely why he didnt crack roster.
Ah, didn’t realize they put him on the practice roster.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Looking at it now i think the biggest surprise i can see is James Tyrell over O'Leary Orange at the backup national wr. My guess is that Tyrell is a better st player. If Wolitarsky or Demski is injured in game obviously Tyrell would step in, however i think the next week youd have O'Leary Orange in over him for WR duties. But thats a pure guess on my part.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Roster Named
QB (2)
Zach Collaros***
Sean Maguire***
RB/FB (4) 0+4

WR (10) 7+3
Darvin Adams*
Kenny Lawler*
Rasheed Bailey*
Nic Demski
Drew Wolitarsky
Janarion Grant*
Kelvin McKnight*
Charles Nelson*
ArDarius Stewart*
James Tyrell
OL (7) 2+5
Stanley Bryant*
Patrick Neufeld
Michael Couture
Drew Desjarlais
Jermarcus Hardrick*
Asotui Eli
Geoff Gray
DL (8) 5+2
Willie Jefferson*
Jackson Jeffcoat*
Steven Richardson*
Jake Thomas
Tobi Antigha*
Jonathan Kongbo
Thiadric Hansen**
Casey Sayles*
LB (7) 3+3
Adam Bighill*
Kyrie Wilson*
Jontrell Rocquemore*
Jesse Briggs
Tanner Cadwallader
Shayne Gauthier
Les Maruo**
DB (12) 9+3
Mike Jones*
Nick Taylor*
Brandon Alexander*
Josh Johnson*
Deatrick Nichols*
DeAundre Alford*
Alden Darby*
Nick Hallett
Noah Hallett
Redha Kramdi
Mercy Maston*
Josh Miller*
ST (3) 0+3
LS Mike Benson
K Tyler Crapigna
P Marc Liegghio

That's 53 players. They will need to be down to 44 for Thursday's game. The roster breaks down as 20 National, 20 American, 2 QB, 1 Global. Bombers currently have 23 nationals, 26 Americans, 2 QB, 2 Global. You'll notice that's only 43 not 44. Teams are allowed carry 43 or 44, spot 44 must be a national OR Global. So expect Hansen and Maruo to be active.

Notable I'm sure DB Mercy Maston is gone for the year, so there's one American already that will head to IR. WR Charles Nelson, WR Rasheed Bailey, RB Andrew Harris, WR Darvin Adams are just some of the names that have been hurt recently among others.

From Bombers website.
The following players have been placed on the practice roster:
National defensive lineman Nick Dheilly
National offensive lineman Chris Kolankowski
National linebacker Nakas Onyeka
National receiver Brendan O’Leary Orange
American defensive lineman Ricky Walker
American defensive back David Rivers
American offensive lineman Drew Richmond
American quarterback Dru Brown
American receiver Cam Meredith
American receiver Carlton Agudosi
Global offensive lineman Tomoya Machino
Global defensive back Sergio Schiaffino-Perez
The following players have been placed on the CFL practice roster:
American offensive lineman Tyler Johnson
American defensive lineman Ezekiel Rose
American defensive back Demerio Houston
American running back Devonte Williams
Global linebacker Ayo Oyelola

For those curious the CFL PR's are standard at 10. However the new global push means that global players up to 3 don't count towards the 10 on the PR. In the CFL the PR's are "protected" where teams can block another team from signing from their PR. However the "CFL Practice Roster" is new for just the pandemic. It's required to be filled by teams (with certain restrictions) and anyone can sign anyone of any of them at any time. There's more rules regarding it but they aren't super important (about reclaims/future rights/etc).

The following players have been released from the roster:
National running back Kyle Borsa (returning to school)
American defensive back Jamalcolm Liggins
American defensive back Terrence Alexander
American defensive lineman Cedric Wilcots
American receiver Deontez Alexander
American receiver Blake Jackson
American receiver Davon Grayson
American receiver Montay Crockett
American defensive back Mazzi Wilkins
American defensive back Jeremiah Johnson

I'm suprised they were able to release Blake Jackson considering he had a season ending injury in camp, would have thought they would have to IR him for the year. Also notable here is the Bombers will retain rights to Borsa this year as he returns to school (this is standard).

Thanks for the excellent roster summary Holden.

I guess they still aren't sold on Liegghio as a place kicker. Interesting to see how this plays out and if he can't at some point take the job from Crapigna to free up a spot.

Love our homegrown RB depth with Harris, Oliveira, Augustine, Miller. Would like to see all of them get more touches this year behind Harris and have a fresh group heading into playoffs.

Love Collaros but nervous about lack of experienced qb depth behind him. O-line looks to be stellar so should keep the heat off, mostly.

Bombers looking very good, on paper. Should be a fun year.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Thanks for the excellent roster summary Holden.

I guess they still aren't sold on Liegghio as a place kicker. Interesting to see how this plays out and if he can't at some point take the job from Crapigna to free up a spot.

Love our homegrown RB depth with Harris, Oliveira, Augustine, Miller. Would like to see all of them get more touches this year behind Harris and have a fresh group heading into playoffs.

Love Collaros but nervous about lack of experienced qb depth behind him. O-line looks to be stellar so should keep the heat off, mostly.

Bombers looking very good, on paper. Should be a fun year.

I mean to be fair I added K and P before their names. Crapigna is listed as K on the roster and Liegghio as a K/P. But all reports sound like that's how it'll go. Liegghio has a stronger leg, but is wildly inconsistent. Like 3rd last day I heard Liegghio was 7/7 longest from 53. I think Crapigna was 5 or 6/7. But last day of camp Liegghio went 0/4 while Crapigna went 4/4.

Miller is a vet FB. He won't get any carries. But yes even ignoring the Harris probably missing of week 1 I would expect Oliviera and Demski to see regular time in the backfield. Augustine I really like but I'm not sure on his role. He was banged up here and there in camp and it appears that Oliveira has jumped him on the depth chart. I'm hoping we see more though for sure, he is just a great runner.

I mean everyone said the same of Hamilton last year. Then Dane Evans comes in. They are very high on Maguire and I hope they are right. Would you rather Jaroslav Halak (veteran, mediocre) or Spencer Knight (young, unknown) behind Hellebuyck if Hellebuyck gets hurt long term? Remember there's only 1 QB spot this year. The only other way to get 3 QBs on the your roster would be use one of the american spots (or have a canadian QB as a backup like Calgary/BC/EDM are doing). That means no like Tobi Antigha or Janarion Grant or so.

No team has kept together as many guys from 2019 for 2021. They were already a veteran team in 2019. I expect they will come out strong. But if they dont stay great I think the wheels could fall off very big very fast. That's my concern, not everyone came back as Teemu Selanne, people forget that in 2006 a TON of key veterans came back terribly in 05-06 and retired.

Last edited:
Reactions: kellhunter

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Looking at it now i think the biggest surprise i can see is James Tyrell over O'Leary Orange at the backup national wr. My guess is that Tyrell is a better st player. If Wolitarsky or Demski is injured in game obviously Tyrell would step in, however i think the next week youd have O'Leary Orange in over him for WR duties. But thats a pure guess on my part.

As an aside, O'Leary-Orange has to be one of the greatest names right?? :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
Starting to sound like both Harris and Adams will both miss the start of the season

E7u90otVIAELL6P

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So, whose our 3rd string QB?

Joe Shlub from the rum hut?

Dru Brown. Hes on the PR. Theres only 2 QB reserved spots on CFL rosters now. You can dress a 3rd QB but they must be listed at a different position and are subject to the roster rules at that position. Ie if they wanted Dru Brown on the active roster, theyd have to dress him as a WR or something and itd cost them an american spot of the roster (so like a backup like Tobi Antigha or Janarion Grant or sonething would need to be removed from roster).

This is why teams are pushing the canadian QB this year. Stamps have Jake Maier and Michael O'Connor on the roster. Regardless of who is the backup Jake Maier is likely listed as backup QB and O'Connor will be at a different position. Since O'Connor will just take up an extra Canadian spot rather than an american spot. Edmonton has Prokop and I think BC is doing the same thing iirc.

This could present some problems regarding ratio rules as QB have always had special status in CFL but the on field rules im not as familiar on. I know you cant have 2 listed QB players on the field at the same time (this is obvious and makes sense). I think you need to have 1 always on the field on offense as well, which would not make sense going forward so im not sure.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Is there any thinking behind the QB change other than to save money? It's not unknown for 2 QBs to go down in a game and having fewer young guys around the league will make it harder to discover or develop the rare gems that go on to become long-term CFL starters.

Somehow Saskatchewan has 4 QBs though...

Reactions: snowkiddin

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Ticket sales for Thursday look sluggish vs the Roughriders' opener. I wonder if it has more to do with the restrictions or general overall attitude of the population (or some version of both).

Screenshot_20210803-100016_Ticketmaster.jpg
Screenshot_20210803-095928_Ticketmaster.jpg

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Is there any thinking behind the QB change other than to save money? It's not unknown for 2 QBs to go down in a game and having fewer young guys around the league will make it harder to discover or develop the rare gems that go on to become long-term CFL starters.

Somehow Saskatchewan has 4 QBs though...

Riders only have 3 on the active roster. They're 4th is stashed on the PR like Dru Brown is for the Bombers, likely under the "protected" PR. I think the Paxton Lynch signing put them in a bind. Isaac Harker is good friends with and trains with Fajardo and has experience meaning they weren't going to release him. Lynch is not the type of player or person clearly based on his comments so far that would accept something like a PR assignment. In fact in 2-3 weeks once he realizes he is 3rd string I expect him to walk away, probably what the Riders are also fearing which is why they've kept a 4th on their PR. Knowing Sask's history they likely try to fake adding Lynch or Harker to the IR. If not one of Lynch or Harker will be listed elsewhere on the depth chart.

To be clear I agree with 100%. Imo it sucks not having 3 QB's on the roster, makes things much tighter and could end up missing out on some great QBs. Now I have no inside info and I cannot say for sure why the rule was changed but below I'm listing what I think the CFL is thinking.

The first and most obvious is the money as you said. It's very very rare that 3rd stringer would need to go in for injuries in the same game. Between games you can always adjust to make sure you have 2 QB's active. Most NFL teams now only dress 2 QB's (CFL has done away with inactives) and many even only roster 2 now.
Secondly I think the Bombers pissed off ALOT of teams a couple years ago. It was a minor thing but CFL teams I think noticed. You might have seen earlier I was talking about how CFL rules stated you couldn't have more than 1 QB on the field at the same time. Since the CFL counts QB separate from the Canadian-American-Global, this was to prevent teams from stashing an american WR/RB at the #3 spot of QB, thereby opening up another backup or "designated" american spot. This rule may also have prevented QB's from playing defense, idk, that never came up. Well a couple years ago the Bombers had basically set their QB spot before camp but then one QB retired on the eve of TC. I think at that point the Bombers then offered the #3 QB spot to their camp body Bryan Bennett if he would be willing to help out on ST. He played fairly extensively on ST that year, never entering the game at QB. He was quickly released in the off-season, it was clear the Bombers never considered him as a legitimate QB talent. I think this made alot of teams scared that teams would start "hiding" guys as QB in the #3 spot to be used in non-QB roles.
Thirdly I believe this is being done to encourage teams to look at Canadian QB's in a round about manner. Let's say you are entering the with an established starter. Also brought up this hotshot prospect, but he's not fully developed and you love the upside but aren't sure about the now. Now stashing him on the PR can be risky (player has to agree to it for one, can take a release instead). So instead you bring in a Michael O'Connor or Dakota Prokop or Nathan Rourke as a WR/FB/RB whatever. Now you have a canadian QB backup. While front line canadians are valuable and elite, back end canadians are far less valuable than their backend american equivalents. Think Janarion Grant (backup WR/starting KR) or Tobi Angtiha (rotational pass rusher/backup DL/LB) versus Asotui Eli (backup OL, plays only in emergencies maybe FG team), James Tyrell (undrafted backup WR signed only in late June), Tanner Cadwaller (ST only), or Les Maruo* (ST at least for now). If the starter goes down you could move O'Connor over to starting QB and you gain an American starting spot elsewhere in the lineup as well. If your unfamiliar this rule was changed a couple years ago after Brandon Bridges complained. Now if you start a canadian at QB it counts as one of your 7 starting Canadians, however it does not affect the roster make up. Encouraging Canadian talent at QB could be done better many other ways, but this might be an added bonus.
*I know Maruo is Global, he's occupying spot #44 on the roster it can be Canadian or Global.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy6

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks for the detailed response, Holden. I wonder whether Lynch ends up in Ottawa or Toronto. It sounded as though he did pretty well in Riders' camp ... maybe even a bit too well in terms of causing potential dissension with the incumbent starter/backup.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
So I guess it won't be a full f***ing house. :nod:

It pretty much is. Once you factor in some walk up it could be a sellout:

upload_2021-8-3_15-14-22.png

Looks like 30K+. Maybe 1500ish tickets still available? Most sections only have a couple of seats available so they show as blue that other way but really most seats are already sold.

It's going to be so fun. I'm really looking forward to it.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
It pretty much is. Once you factor in some walk up it could be a sellout:

View attachment 459144

Looks like 30K+. Maybe 1500ish tickets still available? Most sections only have a couple of seats available so they show as blue that other way but really most seats are already sold.

It's going to be so fun. I'm really looking forward to it.

Well, that is a bit more indicative of actual seats sold. Still, capacity is 33,500. 33,499 will not cut it IMO. And what's this Jim Beam Social nonsense? Has the lure of the almighty sponsorship buck eradicated The Rum Hut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->