NBA Winning Time (HBO Series)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yep. clearly plotted for another season and instead we get chyrons at the end.

Notice they never uttered the name Jordan once.

Shame we never got the Converse Commercial shoot since Magic/Larry is such a great story.
They did, last week or the previous week when they traded Nixon for Byron Scott. Briefly mentioned who went in the following year's draft and showed a short clip of him dunking.

Game two regulation ending was perfectly re-created:

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I was a senior in high school when Magic was drafted and this show is pure fiction.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
They did, last week or the previous week when they traded Nixon for Byron Scott. Briefly mentioned who went in the following year's draft and showed a short clip of him dunking.

Game two regulation ending was perfectly re-created:

Missed it, but then again it ripped too quick with Nikon’s departure.

Robbed of a potential Iago of S3 with Isiah Thomas.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Not pure fiction. They took some liberties with game scores and dates in season 1 but seemed to have been more accurate in season 2. Some characterizations and Buss's personal life definitely were not accurate though.
I think Buss is one of the few characters they got down to a tee, including his personal life. The Honey character was fake, but the lawsuit was real. As was his whole playboy lifestyle

Obviously they dramatized a lot of stuff when it came to Magic, Kareem, and West. The self-deprecating behavior was true when it came to West, but by all accounts he wasn't a loud-mouth, cursing drunk. Quite the opposite actually. Kareem wasn't the most social guy but he also wasn't telling kids to f*** off when they asked for autographs

Reactions: Voight and Jussi

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Just finished season 2 last night. I loved this show and wish it got picked up, and I'm a Celtics fan and hate the Lakers. But the production costs, licensing, pushback from the individuals portrayed, and the strike all combined at the same time HBO is going through a total reorganization and they're cutting programming, so yeah, it was doomed. Maybe a Netflix or someone picks it up but I don't think they'll be able to give the same budget and production values.

Regardless of whether it was accurate to the man or not and regardless of any hurt feelings from Laker people, Jason Clarke's Jerry West is the best TV character of the decade. I'd pay to see more of him. Brody was great as Pat Riley, and even though they flattened Westhead's character a lot in season 2, I did like Segel as him.

The second season was really rushed. I'm not sure if they were given a full ten and then later had to cut everything down to 7 episodes and had to rush through plot points, as has been mentioned a lot could've been drawn out and explored more like Nixon's trade and the 83 finals. Guys like James Worthy and Byron Scott were even barely mentioned. I'm sure they'd be bigger characters if it continued through the late 80s. Feels a lot was cut out or skipped over, even though they waste so much time on boring Magic and Cookie scenes. And Gillian Jacobs is credited in the opening credits but has maybe 3 short scenes the entire season.

The abruptness of the ending though kind of works though, if that makes any sense. Like, by ending there with a defeat, the entire tone of the project changes.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A terrible show that only appeals to the under 40 crowd who don't know anything about NBA history.

Yea cause Magic was never drafted by the Lakers, the Celtics and Lakers weren't rivals, Norm Nixon never got traded, Jerry Buss never awkwardly named West & Riley co-coaches......

200w.gif

Reactions: DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'm watching season 2 and think it's pretty good. Obviously it's not completely accurate historically and they add in some drama but it's a tv show not a documentary so whatever. I do have to say that the actor playing Magic and the actress playing Jeanie are terrible and make me cringe at times. The Jeanie is a genius and her brothers are morons narrative is a bit annoying too. Brody as Pat Riley is probably the best part of the show.

Reactions: Voight

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'm watching season 2 and think it's pretty good. Obviously it's not completely accurate historically and they add in some drama but it's a tv show not a documentary so whatever. I do have to say that the actor playing Magic and the actress playing Jeanie are terrible and make me cringe at times. The Jeanie is a genius and her brothers are morons narrative is a bit annoying too. Brody as Pat Riley is probably the best part of the show.
jeanie isn't a genius, but any lakers fan can attest to jim buss being a complete dipshit with the way he ran the team into the ground in the early-mid 2010s

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad