Confirmed with Link: Winnik plus '16 5th (Anaheim's) for Laich (no retention), Carrick, '16 2nd

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The adrenaline will be replaced by playing the best team in the league. It's not going to be an easy win

Winnick when he was being interviewed on XM/Sirius yesterday after the trade was talking about the Leafs team this season and even when they lost he often heard from the opposition that the Leafs are a tough team to play against. So I wouldn't look past the Leafs by any means come Wednesday evening, after all they are coached by Babcock.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Way to go Carrick! If he hit like that every game, certainly fewer would have wanted him to ever leave. He is getting his big chance and wants to wow the coaches. Good for him.

I don'r recall anyone wanting him to leave, rather it was looking at the team's assets and what might be most attractive to other teams and which would not harm the Caps if were moved. Carrick fell into that category as there did not appear to be a path for him to play with the Caps with the likes of other PMD Carlson, Niskanen, Schmidt and Orlov. Furthermore, thought it was revealing that the Caps opted to bring up the likes of Ness and Stanton rather than Carrick when Carlson was out for 12 games.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don'r recall anyone wanting him to leave, rather it was looking at the team's assets and what might be most attractive to other teams and which would not harm the Caps if were moved. Carrick fell into that category as there did not appear to be a path for him to play with the Caps with the likes of other PMD Carlson, Niskanen, Schmidt and Orlov. Furthermore, thought it was revealing that the Caps opted to bring up the likes of Ness and Stanton rather than Carrick when Carlson was out for 12 games.

I'm sure that has to do with their contract status aswell. Ryan Stanton had some NHL experience from recent years and it wouldn't be surprising at all if they promised that he'd atleast get a look here when he was signed.

I hope Carrick does well with the Leafs, it's way better situation for him. He's very close to NHL-ready, but just not enough for the deeper D cores like Caps. With the Leafs he will get some games right away and get every chance to stay up as their D core is pretty brutal right now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Carrick did get into three games when Carlson was out but it was clear he wasn't composed enough defensively for their liking. Ness had passed him on the depth chart pretty clearly.

There's probably too high a standard placed on sound defensive play rather than smart crisp two-way play generally but that's where this franchise is. Whereas Toronto can afford to be very patient and developmental in giving him an extended opportunity to go through the important growing pains often needed to adapt to the league.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Carrick did get into three games when Carlson was out but it was clear he wasn't composed enough defensively for their liking. Ness had passed him on the depth chart pretty clearly.

There's probably too high a standard placed on sound defensive play rather than smart crisp two-way play generally but that's where this franchise is. Whereas Toronto can afford to be very patient and developmental in giving him an extended opportunity to go through the important growing pains often needed to adapt to the league.

My issue with Carrick was he didn't look any better in his own zone during this year than he did as a rookie. I saw zero development on the defensive side of his game. You'd have figured he would have looked at least somewhat more poised and comfortable considering all the time he's had to develop between then and now but I didn't see it.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
And even if he never scores a goal or registers an assist for the Maple Leafs in the 103 games he’s due to play for them over the rest of this season and the next, he’ll be worth every penny of his $4 million salary and his $4.5 million salary cap hit. In fact, with the void in leadership that is in that room at the moment, it wouldn’t be a stretch to suggest that Laich should be this team’s next captain.[/B] (Notwithstanding the Leafs signing Steven Stamkos this summer, something I don’t believe will or should happen. But that’s a rant for another day.)

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/w...the-leafs-should-make-him-their-next-captain/

:dunno:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'd be super happy for Brooksie if he got a C on his chest. Dude has been a leader his whole career. Deserved it back when he was in his prime really.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Brooksie would be an ideal C for Toronto while they rebuild. Everyone knows he's past his prime so there are no performance expectations. He's charming and quotable for the media too!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
My issue with Carrick was he didn't look any better in his own zone during this year than he did as a rookie. I saw zero development on the defensive side of his game. You'd have figured he would have looked at least somewhat more poised and comfortable considering all the time he's had to develop between then and now but I didn't see it.

you're remembering a different rookie than I am. He was physically dominated as a rookie. I didn't get that impression this year as much on the whole. I thought his positioning and decision making had improved decently too. He's had very few NHL reps...he's not going to look good overnight when he gets his chances.

thelebaron

Feb 25, 2013
san franfrisco

Yeah I dont know what other guys here saw in him but he always looked like a liability.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Brooksie would be an ideal C for Toronto while they rebuild. Everyone knows he's past his prime so there are no performance expectations. He's charming and quotable for the media too!
So they have to look for a new captain next summer?

Last edited:

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
So they have to look for a new captain next summer?

I imagine in 2017/18 the Leafs want to at least start being competitive. Laich being captain until then would be like Gionta being the Buffalo captain right now: a nice placeholder. Then they can give it to one of the young guys (Reilly? Nylander?) or some more established veteran (Stamkos...?).

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Pretty easy to see that Ken is trying to talk himself into his point. It's completely wrong, but that's why The Hockey News doesn't get my subscription money anymore. If they didn't have The Forecaster's player profiles, they'd be a funeral pyre.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Pretty easy to see that Ken is trying to talk himself into his point. It's completely wrong, but that's why The Hockey News doesn't get my subscription money anymore. If they didn't have The Forecaster's player profiles, they'd be a funeral pyre.

What are you referring to? Thought you meant the article linked above, but it's by LeBrun at ESPN? Can you link/share?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Thanks for the humor :)

Somebody ran out of things to write about...

Laich is going to be a good citizen for them, no doubt, but unless he becomes some kind of PK super-pinata, not sure what on-ice quality will make him a recognized leader among his teammates. As far as vets to show young players the ropes, pretty sure those are available in bunches for under 4.5M. Plenty of fine choices out there that can be plucked out of forced retirement, behave as model citizens, and really help the tank!

Jun 15, 2007

The Leafs don't really do interim captains. Between 08-10 they had no captain because no one was worthy. Laich has no chance. He'll probably get an A.

re: Hough/Laich. I have this inkling Laich won't get married. The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Laich left the team for undisclosed "personal reasons". I would assume it's maybe a death in the family, and he'll be back.

Carrick has been great paired with Jake Gardiner. Really involved offensively, sound on defense thus far.

Hope Winnik is playing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad