Winnik (and Stempniak) -- do they sign in the NHL this season?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Jaskin wouldn't be a bad pickup for the 4th line, granted we have a ton of those already. He could potentially replace Acciari for 4th line RW. Noel could serve as the 13th forward.

Bruce would never allow it.;)

I feel if the Bruins hadn't signed Nordstrom he would be a good possibility but I dont see it for the same reason the blues placed him on waivers(blocking Youth). Although his physicality would be a welcome addition.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Jaskin to Washington, so that closes that door haha. And since he made it to Washington, that would mean Boston didn't put a claim in on him, correct?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
nope. I think both either sign with a team desperate for vet presence like Phoenix or jet for Europe

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Wow, what a waste of a roster spot that would be. I'd rather give Kuhlman a shot, at least he has elite wheels and is an excellent defensive player.

Stempniak hasn't played a game in 10 months. He was abysmal in his last NHL season. And he hasn't scored 20 goals in an NHL season since Charlie McAvoy was in middle school.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Wow, what a waste of a roster spot that would be. I'd rather give Kuhlman a shot, at least he has elite wheels and is an excellent defensive player.

Stempniak hasn't played a game in 10 months. He was abysmal in his last NHL season. And he hasn't scored 20 goals in an NHL season since Charlie McAvoy was in middle school.
He’s been practicing with the team all year I think. Cheap veteran depth that can step right in - nothing wrong with it.

Love Kuhlmam and would love to see him get a taste but you know the plan with him was for next year, and you sure don’t want to count on the guy with 0 NHL games. Not everyone can pull a Krug.

As for Stempniak he was sharp in the preseason and is one season removed from 16 goals 40 pts. Nothing wrong with giving him the shot instead of experimenting with a kid they don’t think is ready yet.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
True, but they can wait. They can let one or two kids get another brief taste before signing him.
I have no problem w Stemp being 14th forward.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

This is idiotic and moronic.

To even think that just because this guy has been practicing with the team is ready to step into an NHL game here almost 3/4 into a full season. At least with Gionta last year he had been playing games with the Olympic team.

You mean to tell me there is no better options in Providence, with you know, players who have actually been playing games all year.

Practice is just that, practice. You can't simulate actual game experience. Look how long it's taken Nylander to get up to speed in TO. But somehow they would believe Stempniak could step in and contribute right away, even in a small role. Give me a break.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Is it all but certain that Stempniak will eventually be signed? Why would he stick around this long? Probably going to be another Gionta situation where he's added as "depth".

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
This is idiotic and moronic.

To even think that just because this guy has been practicing with the team is ready to step into an NHL game here almost 3/4 into a full season. At least with Gionta last year he had been playing games with the Olympic team.

You mean to tell me there is no better options in Providence, with you know, players who have actually been playing games all year.

Practice is just that, practice. You can't simulate actual game experience. Look how long it's taken Nylander to get up to speed in TO. But somehow they would believe Stempniak could step in and contribute right away, even in a small role. Give me a break.
How’d he look in the preseason games this year?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
People are going to freak out,but I fail to see how Stempniak at league min is worth complaining if it happens. He isn't going to be the big deadline pickup so let's chill out a bit. Makes sense to sign a vet short term than it does to bring another kid up for 5 games.

Reactions: Flannelman

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
People crap on Stempniak but clearly they don't realize that "trades are hard" to complete. It's not Sweeney's fault that he failed to fill some obvious holes in the off season and that not all of the young guys continued to make progress and get better. How could the GM of the team see all of that before it happened? :naughty:

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
How’d he look in the preseason games this year?

Not good enough to earn an NHL job coming out of camp apparently.

My issue isn't even so much about Stempniak. It's the concept that a guy whose been practicing all year but hasn't played one single regular season game can step in and be even close to the speed of the rest of the NHL here 3/4 into the season. It's just not do-able, even elite players would need some time to get caught up.

And by the time he is caught up, Pastrnak will be back most likely. Even if they sent him on a 2-week conditioning stint in Providence by the time that is over, Pastrnak is close to returning.

Meanwhile you have guys in Providence, even veteran guys like Carey (played 60 NHL games last year) are better options than a guy whose actual game action amounts to 2 pre-season games in 10 months.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
People are going to freak out,but I fail to see how Stempniak at league min is worth complaining if it happens. He isn't going to be the big deadline pickup so let's chill out a bit. Makes sense to sign a vet short term than it does to bring another kid up for 5 games.

It's not really about Stempniak so much as it's about Stempniak being the Sweenius' answer to a question that should have been addressed far earlier and with someone that is more of an impact player than a guy on the back 9 like Stemp is.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's not really about Stempniak so much as it's about Stempniak being the Sweenius' answer to a question that should have been addressed far earlier and with someone that is more of an impact player than a guy on the back 9 like Stemp is.

I'm not even sure Stempniak is on the back 9. Are you still on the back 9 when you've now gone almost 3/4 of a season without an NHL contract? Seems pretty freakin' close to involuntary retirement to me.

I might be nailed for copyright infringement for this, but by the end of the trade deadline, one way or another Lee Stempniak will be under contract to the Boston Bruins. This organization just can't help themselves. If you would of been a great fit on the 1993 Boston Bruins, they have a job for you.

Book it!

Reactions: LSCII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad