Winners and Losers of the 2007 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
Well they didn't make the playoffs , so I guess we can call them win challenged.

Seriously, I agree with you . They had good picks, I like McDonagh cause although Habs fans will disagree with me they don't have much on defense.

They were losers in the season, but then so were 29 other teams ;)

I also agree that outside of Markov and maybe Komisarek, the Habs defence sucks, McDonagh will fill in their much needed #1-2 slot on D.

I think Montreal already were successful in this draft the moment they passed on Esposito,which was to the relief of every other team's fans, I don't know about the rest of you, but I was getting tired of the Latendresse ball-washing by both the media and the fans, there's no doubt the same would've occurred for Esposito had they picked him.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The only loser, in my opinion, was Toronto... just not enough picks to help the depth of their already weak prospect pool.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Well they didn't make the playoffs , so I guess we can call them win challenged.

Seriously, I agree with you . They had good picks, I like McDonagh cause although Habs fans will disagree with me they don't have much on defense.

I agree with you to a point. O' Byrne is ready this year, but with Emelin not coming over , it does hurt a bit. We do have some up and coming D Men, but they are going to be awhile before we see them in Montreal. Baby steps, no need to rush anyone to the big club. I love the McDonagh pick.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

After Markov and Komisarek we don't have much on defense, but prospect wise we do. Ryan O'Byrne was one of the top rookie defensemen in the AHL this year, he should get some games with the Habs next year, he's in the mold of Komisarek. They also have Emelin who is one of Russia's top young defensemen although who knows if they ever get him to come over, I think maybe in 1 year he'll be over but then again maybe never which would suck.

David Fischer is right there with McDonagh, he's not the physical type but he's very smart and moves the puck well. Imo Fischer is the Habs top D prospect. Then there's Mathieu Carle who will be in Hamilton next season, very good offensive skills but we'll start to see how he handles the pros. There's Pavel Valentenko who was at the prelim camp for Team Russia's WC's. The Habs had 4 Russian defensemen at the WC camp (Markov, Emelin, Valetenko, Korneev) 3 played in the WC's and the 19 year old Valentenko was injured, he'll be in Hamilton next year as well. There's Philippe Paquet that no one really talks about, but he's just starting to put it together, likely 2 years away from Hamilton but he's in the Komisarek/O'Byrne mold in that's he's huge, skates really well with good speed and loves to play physical but hasn't shown much offense.

Then there's the guys they picked in this years draft, not sure what to make of them yet. PK Subban I have to wonder if he wouldn't be better off at forward but the Habs defense prospects lack offense aside from Carle. Weber looked ok when I saw him but he's a late '88 so he's likely got only 1 more year in the OHL before the AHL/ECHL. The others seem to be projects.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Despite having a limited number of picks and not picking until Round 3, I liked the Islanders draft. They nabbed a number of players below where they should have been picked

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Exactly. And look at TJ Oshie now, looks like a very good future player for the Blues. I'm betting that someone in that 22-26 range had Riley Nash in their sights and Lowe traded to whatever pick he could to get him. I'm tired of everyone saying how badly the Oilers drafted when we have yet to see these players at an NHL training camp.
I've heard Montreal had 3 Jerseys pre-made for their lower (#22) selection (as well as any of the top picks falling)..

McMillan, Pecioretty and Nash.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
After Markov and Komisarek we don't have much on defense, but prospect wise we do. Ryan O'Byrne was one of the top rookie defensemen in the AHL this year, he should get some games with the Habs next year, he's in the mold of Komisarek. They also have Emelin who is one of Russia's top young defensemen although who knows if they ever get him to come over, I think maybe in 1 year he'll be over but then again maybe never which would suck.

David Fischer is right there with McDonagh, he's not the physical type but he's very smart and moves the puck well. Imo Fischer is the Habs top D prospect. Then there's Mathieu Carle who will be in Hamilton next season, very good offensive skills but we'll start to see how he handles the pros. There's Pavel Valentenko who was at the prelim camp for Team Russia's WC's. The Habs had 4 Russian defensemen at the WC camp (Markov, Emelin, Valetenko, Korneev) 3 played in the WC's and the 19 year old Valentenko was injured, he'll be in Hamilton next year as well. There's Philippe Paquet that no one really talks about, but he's just starting to put it together, likely 2 years away from Hamilton but he's in the Komisarek/O'Byrne mold in that's he's huge, skates really well with good speed and loves to play physical but hasn't shown much offense.

Then there's the guys they picked in this years draft, not sure what to make of them yet. PK Subban I have to wonder if he wouldn't be better off at forward but the Habs defense prospects lack offense aside from Carle. Weber looked ok when I saw him but he's a late '88 so he's likely got only 1 more year in the OHL before the AHL/ECHL. The others seem to be projects.
I'd definately add Jon Gleed to that list. I only saw one game of his with Cincinatti but he was a good overall defensemen. I seen about 5 in his time with Hamilton.. and he looked to be a pretty good defensive defecemean. He's got good height and weight, and knows O'Byrne inside and out..

Jancevski, Cote and Benoit would be two others who have a future with the organization. Put it all together.. and we are very deep defensively now.. (Projection in brackets)

1) Ryan O'Bryne [#2-#3 defender]
2) Ryan McDonagh [#2 defender]
3) David Fischer [#1-#3 defender]
4) Pavel Valentenko [#1-#3 defender]
5) Mathieu Carle [#2-#4 defender]
6) PK Subban [#4 defender]
7) Yannick Weber [#3-#5 defender]
8) Jon Gleed [#6 defender]
9) Alexei Emelin [#2 defender]
10) JP Cote [#4 defender]
11) Dan Jancevski [#5-#7 defender]
12) Andre Benoit [#5-#7 defender]
13) Phillipe Paquet [#5-#7 defender]
14) Niklas Torp [#4-#6 defender]
15) All the others.. [#6-#7 defender]

We are deeper than we think..

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd definately add Jon Gleed to that list. I only saw one game of his with Cincinatti but he was a good overall defensemen. I seen about 5 in his time with Hamilton.. and he looked to be a pretty good defensive defecemean. He's got good height and weight, and knows O'Byrne inside and out..

Jancevski, Cote and Benoit would be two others who have a future with the organization. Put it all together.. and we are very deep defensively now.. (Projection in brackets)

1) Ryan O'Bryne [#2-#3 defender]
2) Ryan McDonagh [#2 defender]
3) David Fischer [#1-#3 defender]
4) Pavel Valentenko [#1-#3 defender]
5) Mathieu Carle [#2-#4 defender]
6) PK Subban [#4 defender]
7) Yannick Weber [#3-#5 defender]
8) Jon Gleed [#6 defender]
9) Alexei Emelin [#2 defender]
10) JP Cote [#4 defender]
11) Dan Jancevski [#5-#7 defender]
12) Andre Benoit [#5-#7 defender]
13) Phillipe Paquet [#5-#7 defender]
14) Niklas Torp [#4-#6 defender]
15) All the others.. [#6-#7 defender]

We are deeper than we think..

Jancevski has no future with us, Gainey already said that he thinks he will sign with another NHL club, he said it last week. Benoit is gone so who knows if he will be back ever, we don't hold his rights since he wasn't drafted. Cote I like but I see him more as a 7th D, he's such a hard worker, blocks shots, plays physical but is limited in talent and offense.

I agree on Gleed though, I really like him as I've been a Cornell fan and he was a very smart, hard working defensemen. That kind that does most things well, just not much offense. He's strong on the PK. I don't know what the Habs plans are for him since he was on an AHL contract this year, but I know that Coach Lever had really good things to say about him and he was likely's Cincinnati's top defensemen in the ECHL.

I expect Paquet to breakout next year, he looked good in the playoffs for Clarkson, he was cutting down on the penalties and playing solid defensive hockey.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
All one can judge on and after draft day is simply whether you got something that represented genuine slot value on draft day. Any value more than that is essentially impossible to predict unless the player is a Gretzky, a Lemieux, a Crosby or Ovechkin etc. So you can judge the drafts, just only on the basis of whether a given team appeared to get a player who represented genuine value (acquired player lower than or equal to the consensus scouting reports suggested he'd go, or drafted way higher than he was expected to go).

That's why you can rip L.A. Now maybe L.A. got a guy who will be special, and maybe someone else loved him and would have reached for him, however, the available information suggests that LA could have potentially traded down and still got there guy and added picks in the process. They didn't. Therefore they got poor slot value. The poor slot value is immaterial a few years from now if the player is a stud, or if it comes to pass that said player would be picked fifth or sixth or seventh or whatever. However at the very least we do know that my caps were going Alzner, or Gagner or trade down, they weren't going after L.A.'s guy, so ripping L.A. is absolutely fair game, just as getting dropping high value players like Esposito and Cherapanov represents outstanding slot value.

There are no definitive great or bad drafts right now, just decisions that can be relatively judged to have been wise, or unwise. L.A.'s pick looks unwise, other picks look wise, some are harder to judge like the trades my Caps made, harvesting several picks in the supposedly deep and good '08 draft as well as a third rounder, in exchange for essentially the 28th overall this year.

Looking at the quote from Lombardi, I may have been a bit harsh on them, but it does appear as if they could have moved down and still gotten him, and I'm not sure how reliable his info was, today GMGM was quoted as saying that he didnt leak any info on the Caps interest in no small part because the media was already spreading misinformation that helped his interest (apparently a team was going to trade up for Alzner, but decided not to because they figured the Caps were all about Cherpanov).
When you consider they tired to work a deal with CBJ for the 7th and that didnt work and they had information Boston was going to take him 8th what options do they have left? Lombardi took the player he felt had the most upside and could help his TEAM. So having no options left what is he supposed to do? Trade farther down than the 8th and risk losing the player that he had in mind or take him where he knew he could get him? Obviously they see something in him that not alot of other teams did.

birddog*

And since the Leafs defense is as good as the Sharks :sarcasm: you should expect him to put up the same numbers.

Well we all know Scott Hannan and Craig Rivet are allstars and Kaberle, Kubina, and McCabe could never match up against that power defense.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Wo would have thought...of course many hab fans are offended by some comments on a message board. Some things never change.

Who's offended? What the hell is wrong with refuting a post where somebody didn't even bother to post a reason for his point of view. Last time I checked, that's one of the purposes of these boards.

I'm sure you would just sit idly by if somebody came on here and posted your hero would never amount to more than an average 2nd liner, and absolutely provide no support for said point of view.:sarcasm:

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
At first i thought Sutter was crazy passing Esposito at #18 and trading the pick for #24 and #70 but after looking at #15 ranked Backlund more closely i'm very happy with this pick and getting a big Dman in Aulie is a bonus considering Sutter didn't have another pick till the 5th round when the draft started.

:handclap: for Sutter

j c petit

Locked-out
Mar 6, 2007
In the blue paint
Well we all know Scott Hannan and Craig Rivet are allstars and Kaberle, Kubina, and McCabe could never match up against that power defense.
Never claimed they are a power defense or all-stars, just superior defensively to anyone the Leafs have. I can't help but notice how you chose to leave out McLaren, Carle, Vlassic. No, your Leafs defense does not match up, at least not defensively. Toskala is going to see much more rubber behind the Leafs blueliners.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Who's offended? What the hell is wrong with refuting a post where somebody didn't even bother to post a reason for his point of view. Last time I checked, that's one of the purposes of these boards.

I'm sure you would just sit idly by if somebody came on here and posted your hero would never amount to more than an average 2nd liner, and absolutely provide no support for said point of view.:sarcasm:
Frolov is an average 2nd line player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The only loser, in my opinion, was Toronto... just not enough picks to help the depth of their already weak prospect pool.

When are the next HF Prospect Team rankings coming out ??..

I can't wait to see how many teams my Leafs have passed by not making any selection is this draft ..

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't understand how people can call the Habs losers, and I'm not even a Habs fan. McDonagh is gonna be a great defencemen and he was a good pick at 12.

You don't understand? Well it's pretty simple. Habs are losers 'cause they passed on Esposito who's a local boy and will now become a star with the Pens which will make the Habs look like fools, 'cause evidently the Habs were the only one to pass on Esposito.

But this is the same guy that if he would have been picked by the Habs would've been called overrated 'cause he's just a local boy who's not so great after all.

Strangely, most people who kept saying we're losers don't know AT all most of our picks. I guess not knowing people makes them bad.....

Personnally, it wasn't a sexy draft but we'll see in the future. Would've hope for better player instead of Subban and Weber, but then it doesn't make this draft a total disaster.

As far as winners (which means sexy draft as far as names are concerned as of today), my list is:

BIG WINNER

St-Louis (Eller, Cole, Perron, Hjalmarsson, Palushaj, Erstadt, Sonne...you've got to be kidding me....)

CLOSE SECOND

Colorado (Shattenkirk, Cohen, Galiardi, Malone, Pattersson, Hellgren)
Phoenix (Turris, Ross, MacLean, Gistedt,Ruzicka,Goncharov)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
So Habs are losers 'cause we may have gotten better producton out of Cherepanov than McDonagh???? No way.....:sarcasm: So let's stop drafting d-men 'cause evidently forwards will usually have a better production. And we're losers 'cause we're not going to get a fan favorite? Or if he doesn't produce a fan favorite.....to be booed out of town?

Just great reasons....

Yeah....that's some ****edup reasoning there....Why arent all the teams that passed on these 2 players losers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad