Winners and losers of the 1st round?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Exactly. The Daigle comparison is more accurate. The kid can skate like the wind, as could Daigle. Daigle just could not do much else well. Nor did he have his heart in the game. Obviously 19 teams had some questions in some areas about Esposito as well. Pens' fans obviously are hoping that it is more the usual picking apart a front runner that we have seen far too many times. Time will tell. But back to what you said. Obviously the Ribero comparison is silly. Daigle is the comparison that gives some pause. But at 20 he certainly was by far the best risk out there.

A "poor man's" Daigle if you will. He's certainly not as naturally talented as Daigle was and people forget just how good Daigle could be at times.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Losers:

Detroit- Brendan Smith

Talk about droping the ball.Drafting a player that we don't need, about five picks too high.Petrecki and Mayorov were there for the taking and we passed up. Great move:shakehead:shakehead

Brendan Smith was a fantastic pick by them. He's a real risk, but a great one to take, IMO. I liked the Smith pick for them.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
i love how you sit there and talk about the Plante and how it was a waste of a pick: The guy went through a huge growth spurt this year and was STILL one of the best d men in the WHL, he was on par or better than his d partner Alzner and when Alzner was gone he held his own pretty good, and for the record I doubt there is any way that he gets past Calgary in the draft so no they would not have had him at 30th, I also love how TSN thinks the Oilers had a good draft but yeah what do they know.

well that just sums it up then...

tsn must know all, with all their ranting and raving, I had to bash my head off the walls trying to knock out the ridiculous commentary by McKenzie and the crew. If you are cool with grabbing Plante where you got him, more power to you... its a blown pick just like Hickey, he could have had Plante much later then where he got him at.

Hopper15

Oct 2, 2006
Bay Area
it is hard to pick winners with very few of these kids making any kind of impact within the next 2 years, and the fact that the majority of the players that will make it to the NHL are picked in rounds 2 and beyond. I think the second round is going to be pretty solid with Sweatt, Cross, Hoeffel, Brennan, Smith, Mayorov, Moller, Cohen, Katic, Maclean, Aliu, Larson, Tyrell, etc.. all still to go. Some gems will be picked in round 2.
But as of right now I will say..

Winners
Sharks- I mean thats just amazing. I miss Doug Wilson from his Blackhawk playing days, but man is this guy something else. Walks away with Couture and Petrecki for peanuts, thats how you run a franchise folks. Everytime he walked to the podium he had that confident smerk on his face. He knew he just commited a robbery.
Blues- When you have 3 picks, I think you have a lot less pressure to try and find that 1 player; here they did a great job by going all over the board getting 3 solid players..eller, cole, and perron. Cole and Eller will be solid ones. they could have traded away a pick or 2, but why, they loaded up in 1 draft what it takes some teams to accomplish in 3.

Hawks- yeah yeah, I have my homerism, but man we could have screwed this up. With all the "trade" talk, and the rumor that we were going to take Turris, I thought we would blow this. But low and behold Tallon does right, and picks the best player in the draft. You have to be a winner when you leave with Pat Kane after the draft, I mean look at L.A..Hickey at 4???? Hawks could have chosen Sutter @ 1 for the love of God! Like I said, draft T.J Brennan and Billy Sweatt in round 2, and Jerry Maguire aint got nothing on me...(you complete me!!!!)

Canadiens- Gainey definitely surprised me here. Two very solid picks with McDonagh and Pacioretty. He has drafted pretty well throughout the years, this year is no different.

Losers
Edmonton- what the hell was Kevin Lowe thinking? Whats up with his Western Canada kids comments? I am all for drafting your own country, but atleast draft the best ones from that country or province. Gagner should be a good one, but I am baffled by the other 2 picks. Alex Plante is a major project, but he could have had him in the second round. :help:

L.A- ummmmmmm, what kind of drugs were you on Dean to make that pick??? I am all for going off the board (I even put Pacioretty at 5 in my mock), but Hickey @ 4 is insane. I dont even see the upside with him. Why not Alzner, Ellerby, or McDonagh?? I know he landed Jack Johnson for a bag of pucks and some tape, but build on that momentum, not burry it. :shakehead :shakehead

N.J, Atlanta, and N.Y.I- no picks in the first round, and all 3 didnt get too far in the playoffs..hope those rent a players were worth it boys. :handclap: :handclap:

Limbo
N.Y.R.- Cherepanov may well be the steal of the draft, or he may well be another headache that asprin couldnt help. We wont know how this turns out for about 2 years, but if any team can pull it off, its the Rangers

Penguins- I dont think Esposito is a steal at all. He dropped like a brick for a reason...Hes just not that great. He will have plenty of talent in Pitt when he arrives, but all that talent will continue to hide his shortcomings. They compare him to Daigle for a reason, and thats not a comparision that I would want.

Yep DW worked his magic once again.

ThatOneGuy*

Brendan Smith was a fantastic pick by them. He's a real risk, but a great one to take, IMO. I liked the Smith pick for them.

The Wings have no need for another offensive minded defenseman. Although they do need a stay at home hitter, who can clear the crease. Its the most redundant pick of the draft.

Jonjmc

Feb 7, 2006
its funny all you people are on the pens bandwagon and saying how espo was a steal, he maybe, but the pens have no d, and most likey will be knocked out of the first round of the playoffs next year because they have no d, this draft had alot of young D talent, and they didnt get it

Are you saying there was a defenseman available at #20 that would have not only played for the Pens next season, but also helped them get past the first round?

Or maybe you are saying that all the "young D talent" available was taken in the first round and there is no more available.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i love how you sit there and talk about the Plante and how it was a waste of a pick: The guy went through a huge growth spurt this year and was STILL one of the best d men in the WHL, he was on par or better than his d partner Alzner and when Alzner was gone he held his own pretty good, and for the record I doubt there is any way that he gets past Calgary in the draft so no they would not have had him at 30th, I also love how TSN thinks the Oilers had a good draft but yeah what do they know.

Plante was not one of the best d-men in the WHL, or anywhere close.

There's a reason pretty much everyone on this board who sees the WHL on a regular basis has serious questions about Plante. I don't think the TSN guys had every seen him play from their comments on him.

Plante is a poor skater with a clumsy, unbalanced skating stride. He also has suspect hockey sense, is constantly reacting to the play rather than dictating it, and is highly prone to dumb plays and dumb penalties. His PP skills are very strong for a player of his size and his point shot is one of the best in the draft, but offensive skills are useless in a defender unless he can actually defend well enough to justify putting him on the ice.

Was kind of hilarious to see TSN try passing him off as a no-offense stay-at-home guy, when he's actually a high-risk skill defender trapped in Wade Belak's body.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'll put ther winners as Columbus.

They didn't do much, but sat right there at #7 and got a Great player in Voracek.

He'll probably make the team in the 2008/2009 season, and spend the following 12-15 years as a top 6 winger for them

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
its funny all you people are on the pens bandwagon and saying how espo was a steal, he maybe, but the pens have no d, and most likey will be knocked out of the first round of the playoffs next year because they have no d, this draft had alot of young D talent, and they didnt get it

Did we miss free agency and the trading deadline? Wow. Those things really sneak up on you.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

you have to think most players are at least 3-4 years away from making any impact. Looking at it from that perspective you should take best player available

billbillbill

Jun 8, 2006
The Daigle comparison is more accurate. The kid can skate like the wind, as could Daigle. Daigle just could not do much else well. Nor did he have his heart in the game.

I thought the story on Daigle was that he was a good playmaker and a brilliant skater with mediocre puckhandling skills, a wimpy shot, and questionable desire. I don't know if that really describes Esposito, except for maybe the desire bit. As players, are they really that comparable?

Before the draft Sutter said he did not plan to trade down unless the player he was targetting had already been selected. So I guess he was looking at either Cherepanov or Gillies. Minnesota, thank you. I am relieved that we did not select Gillies. New York, damn you. Cherepanov would have been a dream come true.

In the end, I'm pretty pleased with Backlund.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
L.A- ummmmmmm, what kind of drugs were you on Dean to make that pick??? I am all for going off the board (I even put Pacioretty at 5 in my mock), but Hickey @ 4 is insane. I dont even see the upside with him. Why not Alzner, Ellerby, or McDonagh?? I know he landed Jack Johnson for a bag of pucks and some tape, but build on that momentum, not burry it. :shakehead :shakehead

And that is why they are professionals travelling the globe watching players for hours on end, and you are just someone sitting at home in front of your computer saying stuff like that.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Very very disappointed in Lowe and the Oilers, the Sam Gagner pick I can live with, Voracek or Gagner are both playmakers but I would have prefer Voracek.

the 15th and trading up to 21st is how Lowe is the biggest loser of the draft.

Passing up on the one of most talented and NHL ready players in Cherepanov, just not once but twice was really how Lowe and the Oilers like their russians, far and away from the team.

Selecting a d-men like Alex Plante could have been done at 30th or 36th and so could have Riley Nash.

Lowe could have saved himself so much but keeping all 4 picks and taking Cherepanov 15th and the other two at 30th and 36th, even if Plante and Nash were gone, this draft isn't one to move up so much by trading a high 2nd round pick.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Before the draft Sutter said he did not plan to trade down unless the player he was targetting had already been selected. So I guess he was looking at either Cherepanov or Gillies.

Russo said Gillies was likely the guy Calgary wanted, and Calgary's trade down basically confirmed it. Minnesota wanted him enough to trade up and jumped over the Flames to get him. I guess we'll see in 5 years who made the right choice.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
:shakehead
Plante was not one of the best d-men in the WHL, or anywhere close.

There's a reason pretty much everyone on this board who sees the WHL on a regular basis has serious questions about Plante. I don't think the TSN guys had every seen him play from their comments on him.

Plante is a poor skater with a clumsy, unbalanced skating stride. He also has suspect hockey sense, is constantly reacting to the play rather than dictating it, and is highly prone to dumb plays and dumb penalties. His PP skills are very strong for a player of his size and his point shot is one of the best in the draft, but offensive skills are useless in a defender unless he can actually defend well enough to justify putting him on the ice.

Was kind of hilarious to see TSN try passing him off as a no-offense stay-at-home guy, when he's actually a high-risk skill defender trapped in Wade Belak's body.

Odd you must watch games from a different universe then I do. I guess you didnt watch many other "large" defenders when they were 17 as well. How "awkward" were Robyn Regher,Shea Weber,Corey Sarich etc.. at that age. Hell you can you make a huge list of defensemen drafted in the 1st and 2nd round that were 6'4 or bigger and have there slow and ponderous skating style analyzed to death by people who watch the once or twice and then write them off. These same cement footed defencemen obviously never develop over a season and get better.

I guess its just a freak of nature that Plante played better as the season went on and was one of the best players for the Hitmen in the playoffs.

I mean no one wants big tough defencemen who make a great first pass anymore. Why would you want a guy who plays tough minutes against top opposition. :shakehead

Luke Schenn might as well not even bothering showing up for the draft next year

pouskin74*

you know guys , thats just ubelievable:amazed: cherepanov on 17 !!!!!!!!!!!****ING UNBELIEVABLE! all teams unless blackhawks(and rangers) will sorry in nearest future. i have no doubts about it! Rangers get a replacement for jagr. idol and admirer will play together! gongratulations to New york Rangers!!!:handclap:

billbillbill

Jun 8, 2006
Russo said Gillies was likely the guy Calgary wanted, and Calgary's trade down basically confirmed it. Minnesota wanted him enough to trade up and jumped over the Flames to get him. I guess we'll see in 5 years who made the right choice.

Well, there's nothing wrong with a hard-nosed Western Canadian kid, (especially one who is not only big but can skate like the wind), but we've picked so many of those guys over the past couple of years... I don't think we really had a guy with first line upside in the system until today, and it's all thanks to the kind people in Minnesota. ;)

GSK*

Winners: Sharks, Rangers, Penguins
Losers: Los Angeles, Habs, Leafs, Oilers

The only one who said the Habs are loser is a Leafs fans... Why being such an ass ???

McDonagh and Pacioretty are two great pick for use, fill the needs...

McDonagh was in my books at top-10 players of this draft and the second best d-man after Alzner... While Pacioretty upside is pretty much the same as a Guerin or Cole.

Munchausen

Esposito at 20. We will not know for some time of course, but right now that is looking like the steal of the first.

The Kings headscratcher at pick four has to be, right now, the loser pick.

I think Esposito got picked right where he should have. I've seen him quite a bit and I never understood what the fuss was all about. To me he looks like a guy with so-so hockey sense and who doesn't want to compete hard or every night. Great individual skills, but skills don't have a player made. Glad to see I wasn't going crazy and a few other teams felt alike. Not saying he's a bust to be, just a guy I don't think has quite the ceiling some think he has. In comparison, I think Cherepanov has a much higher upside.

pari_passu

Mar 25, 2007
Limbo
N.Y.R.- Cherepanov may well be the steal of the draft, or he may well be another headache that asprin couldnt help. We wont know how this turns out for about 2 years, but if any team can pull it off, its the Rangers

Penguins- I dont think Esposito is a steal at all. He dropped like a brick for a reason...Hes just not that great. He will have plenty of talent in Pitt when he arrives, but all that talent will continue to hide his shortcomings. They compare him to Daigle for a reason, and thats not a comparision that I would want.

I have to agree with you here. Cherepanov is a toss up for me. We just really don't know until the Rangers bring him up.

Esposito did drop for a reason. This draft year isn't really that great. Why take a risk by grabbing a guy who was compared to Daigle when you can stock up on what you really need to improve your team? Take the risk on a good draft year, not on one that isn't all that great.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I thought the Oilers were the losers for one major reason. The trade up to #21. I thought they could have gotten the kid they wanted @ 30 and didn't have to give up the #36 pick. They might have been able to get Nash there too.

I find it funny how the Oilers are labelled losers in the draft considering they got Gagner. That's more than teams like NJ, ATL, TB, BUF, DAL got, who didn't even have a pick. They obviously felt that Nash might not be around at 30, so that's why they jumped up to get him. Look at the Kings, they took Hickey 4th, and this is a guy projected to go in the 20's. Not a big fan of the Plante pick at 15 though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
:shakehead

Odd you must watch games from a different universe then I do. I guess you didnt watch many other "large" defenders when they were 17 as well. How "awkward" were Robyn Regher,Shea Weber,Corey Sarich etc.. at that age. Hell you can you make a huge list of defensemen drafted in the 1st and 2nd round that were 6'4 or bigger and have there slow and ponderous skating style analyzed to death by people who watch the once or twice and then write them off. These same cement footed defencemen obviously never develop over a season and get better.

I guess its just a freak of nature that Plante played better as the season went on and was one of the best players for the Hitmen in the playoffs.

I mean no one wants big tough defencemen who make a great first pass anymore. Why would you want a guy who plays tough minutes against top opposition. :shakehead

Luke Schenn might as well not even bothering showing up for the draft next year

Schenn is substantially ahead of Plante in his own zone right now, stronger on his skates, and I would have had no problem using a #1 pick in this draft on him if he were eligible. I also defender Ellerby here a fair bit, as his skating is easily NHL-calibre and, while he has games where he struggles with his decision making, I've also seen him put it together and control games.

Regehr and Weber were nowhere near as awkward as Plante at the same age, especially in their own zone.

I know he was good late in the season and in the playoffs. His defensive game in the WHL is adequate, but guys who are 'adequate' in the WHL get killed when they turn pro. And when you combine his OK defensive play relative to his peers with his offensive skills - which as I said I like and project well - yes, he is a quality WHL player.

But like I said, I see a guy who thinks the game a half-step slow and is usually reacting and chasing the play. And doesn't have the skating ability to compensate. And we've seen guys with similar skill sets (Mathieu Biron and Alexei Semenov come to mind, and Sasha Pokoluk is another recent guy) bust for the same reasons. I don't think you can cut it as a slow-footed defender unless your hockey sense is elite, and vice-versa. So I had Plante rated 40 picks lower than where he went. We'll see who was right in a couple years.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Exactly, the Pens have two full years to come up with a good strategy for tanking so we can steal him too.

You could always trade Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, and Whitney to the Flyers next off season. That should go a long way to helping out with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->