Post-Game Talk: winner winner

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Relative to the last 2 drafts, yeah there are no McDavid or Matthews level guys. The top 3 and overall depth are on the weaker side. But look at the guys taken in the 5-10 range over the last 4-5 years. Even in drafts with a weak top end like the RNH draft, there were guys like Scheifele and Dougie Hamilton taken. In the Yakupov draft, there was Rielly, Lindholm, and Trouba.

"Franchise altering" talent, maybe not... But again, I don't know why we have to live in this world of extremes.

Vilardi, Hischier, Mittelstadt, Necas would be a great add IMO. Or if they rise and Liljegren drops, that's gravy too.
Yeah I don't follow the upcoming drafts close enough to really know, but it sounds like one of those years where the talent may be on the weak side. Somewhat like 2011-12 perhaps where there was a lot of 'meh' or straight up busts sprinkled in between every good player. Doesn't sound like there's necessarily a clear divide between the top 10 talents and the rest, which could mean drafting at 15-16 isn't really worse than drafting at 5-10.
It's simply not a year where I want to wish for the team to lose.

Now next year, with Dahlin...

Nauzhror

Apr 4, 2014
Well....only 3 points out of 2nd in our division....Just improve at the Joe. We aren't a bad team on the road looking at the record

3 points out of 2nd is misleading though.

Top 3 teams all have a game in hand on us. Technically Toronto could pass us due to them having 3 games in hand on us, they hold the ROW tiebreaker, so if they win 2 of their next 3 they're actually ahead of us. Extrapolating their current season so far, would put them at 28.125 points. ie. Most likely win 1 of 3, lose 1 in OT, lose 1 in regulation, but more likely to win 2 than win 0-1 without a OT game.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
I have no expectations for this team, but regardless of whether you want to tank or not, we should all be hoping that our younger players grow into larger roles.

To that end, I've enjoyed the Mantha-Z-Tatar line. I'd like to get to a point where AA, Mantha, Larkin, XO and Sproul are all in the lineup and getting a large amount of ice time.

Can we not dress Lashoff?

You and the dog would rather dress a 14 game -7 guy in the middle of a two game win streak to shake things up? Our d has looked pretty good in the last two with the other 100+ nhl game guy, especially leaving it's own end under pressure and on the defensive zone giveaways imo? The kid there now is better defensively imo . If you want to argue the other guy adds more offensively upside I agree but that is far,far, far from a net positive for the team . Lets just see how far this run goes and if our d continues to improve. Offensive d wise we have still have plenty of guys walking around on the blue line. Just a different opinion.What we need is a little more d.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
3 points out of 2nd is misleading though.

Top 3 teams all have a game in hand on us. Technically Toronto could pass us due to them having 3 games in hand on us, they hold the ROW tiebreaker, so if they win 2 of their next 3 they're actually ahead of us. Extrapolating their current season so far, would put them at 28.125 points. ie. Most likely win 1 of 3, lose 1 in OT, lose 1 in regulation, but more likely to win 2 than win 0-1 without a OT game.

man, that's a lot of mental gymnastics and extrapolation to figure out what the standings really mean in December.

We can easily be in 2nd place a week from now.

Or we can be in last place.

People acting like the season is decided one way or another are ridiculous...but most fans do it

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
man, that's a lot of mental gymnastics and extrapolation to figure out what the standings really mean in December.

We can easily be in 2nd place a week from now.

Or we can be in last place.

People acting like the season is decided one way or another are ridiculous...but most fans do it

Well we know this roster isn't good enough to contend for the cup.

We don't know whether the Wings will miss the playoffs or lose in the first round.

It's one or the other.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
You would rather dress a 14 game -7 guy in the middle of a two game win streak to shake things up? Our d has looked pretty good in the last two, especially leaving it's own end under pressure? The kid in there now looks solid d wise in comparison the -7 guy and his d issues.

In this case, absolutely. You will become better at evaluating NHL players as you start to watch more hockey.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
You would rather dress a 14 game -7 guy in the middle of a two game win streak to shake things up? Our d has looked pretty good in the last two, especially leaving it's own end under pressure? The kid in there now looks solid d wise in comparison the -7 guy and his d issues.

Yes, I would. Sproul and or Russo deserve a shot over Lashoff. IMO. Sproul has made a few mistakes, but his offensive upside is helpful to a team lacking offense. If you give Lashoff 14 games I'm sure his +, - will climb as well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You would rather dress a 14 game -7 guy in the middle of a two game win streak to shake things up? Our d has looked pretty good in the last two with the other guy, especially leaving it's own end under pressure imo? The kid there now is better defensively . If you want to argue the other guy adds more offensive I agree but so far it is far from a net positive. Lets just see how far this run goes and if our d continues to improve. Offenssive d wise we have plenty of guys. Just a different opinion.

Yes, because he is a far superior hockey player.

Offensive D wise we don't have plenty of guys at all. We have 1. Mike Green. We need guys like Ryan Sproul. Lashoff is a guy terrible at passing the puck on a team full of defenseman that struggle to move the puck.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Yes, I would. Sproul and or Russo deserve a shot over Lashoff. IMO. Sproul has made a few mistakes, but his offensive upside is helpful to a team lacking offense. If you give Lashoff 14 games I'm sure his +, - will climb as well.

even if they cost you games? Then let us see what happens to his +?_ over 14. What was it with 115?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah I don't follow the upcoming drafts close enough to really know, but it sounds like one of those years where the talent may be on the weak side. Somewhat like 2011-12 perhaps where there was a lot of 'meh' or straight up busts sprinkled in between every good player. Doesn't sound like there's necessarily a clear divide between the top 10 talents and the rest, which could mean drafting at 15-16 isn't really worse than drafting at 5-10.
It's simply not a year where I want to wish for the team to lose.

Now next year, with Dahlin...

I'm paying more attention to this year's, considering I think we have a real chance at drafting top 10.

There is very rarely a clear divide among the top 10 of the draft at this time of year. I just pulled up ISS's rankings from December 2015 and 2014, and the 5-10 projected players almost completely changed for both.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Basically I just don't want them finishing 10th. Either make the playoffs and continue the streak or tank and get a high pick. If by the deadline this team isn't in a playoff spot then you sell off what you can, and go for the highest pick you can. Finishing in 9th or 10th would be an absolutely disaster. If they make the playoffs then I am fine with getting the young guys that experience. Get them hooked on the playoff high so that if we do eventually miss, they are desperate to get back. I honestly think with a couple of high picks and some shrewd moves, this team could be back to contending quickly. I just think we need someone other than Holland running the ship, because he is really only good at drafting at this point.

This is how I feel. We should be able to trade Green and Vanek for a couple of 1st rounders, giving us a total of three, including a top 10. Finishing where we are now, 3 points out the playoffs would be a disaster all round.

But I fear that is going to be our lot this season, veering between the two and never achieving either.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm paying more attention to this year's, considering I think we have a real chance at drafting top 10.

There is very rarely a clear divide among the top 10 of the draft at this time of year. I just pulled up ISS's rankings from December 2015 and 2014, and the 5-10 projected players almost completely changed for both.
And that's why I'm still hoping for a high pick. Lots can change in a few months. Players that currently look just decent to good can suddenly show you something new, or even take their overall game to a new level.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And that's why I'm still hoping for a high pick. Lots can change in a few months. Players that currently look just decent to good can suddenly show you something new, or even take their overall game to a new level.

Right, lots of moving parts. Plus WJC hasn't even happened yet.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
even if they cost you games? Then let us see what happens to his +?_ over 14. What was it with 115?

Yes. Even if it cost us some losses. Although I don't think it would. Sproul and hopefully a guy like Russo are players that could possibly help the defense now or in the near future. Lashoff has already been waived in the past and should only be used in a emergency.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Mantha and Vanek are really surprise bright spots this season. Nice to see the team rally. More efforts like that make it easier to block out time for the games.
They are big and we need it baldly.
So, next up, C'bus. They're like what, 5-1 in their last 6? Curious how we're dealing with 'em back at the Joe. Another win would be huge.

Last season blue jackets were terrible til the ASG, but we did not play them, then they turned it on amd we played them.
This season , they are red hot and we have to play them. Bad luck.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Lets just see how far this run goes and if our d continues to improve.
This "run"? Team won in OT and SO against two pretty bad teams. Lashoff looked bad in both games. Time for Sproul to get back in the lineup.

True, things will get more clear in a few months. Also why I see no reason to wish for the team to lose right now.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Yes. Even if it cost us some losses. Although I don't think it would. Sproul and hopefully a guy like Russo are players that could possibly help the defense now or in the near future. Lashoff has already been waived in the past and should only be used in a emergency.

It is an emergency situation.Look at the standings

Last edited:

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
In this case, absolutely. You will become better at evaluating NHL players as you start to watch more hockey.

He is still in the lineup and playing so maybe somebody on the staff has not watched enough hockey. Maybe the coach needs to watch more hockey until he comes to his senses or hallucinates to the point where he imagines your guy actually has a defensive game.. Plenty of offensive upside, absolutely. A NHL future, probably.. unfortunately right now there are two ends of the ice and and offense on this win streak has not been the problem. If you are wining keep running the same guys out. FYI ( I personally do not care what happens to either one.I hope they both continue to play in the NHL somewhere )

you think a , I think b .. lets agree to disagree

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He is still in the lineup and playing so maybe I should tell the coach you think he should watch more hockey until he comes to his senses or hallucinates to the point where he your guy has a defensive game.. Plenty of offensive upside, yes.. unfortunately there are two ends of the ice and offense has not been the problem recently
The current priority is not to put the most talented players on the ice. It's to put the players least likely to make a mistake on the ice. Lashoff has both a higher floor and a lower ceiling than Sproul, but the former is all that matters, so Lash gets the nod (at least until he makes a mistake or two).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad