News Article: Wings willing to move down from 6?

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
so we're re-signing Green and riding out the rest. That's Holland at his improvisational best.
That just yet again proves that Holland is an incompetent nincompoop,
exposed after the "brains" left.
Bringing back the same defense that was considered the worst in the NHL is insanity!
But I blame Chris Ilitch now, for resigning the doofus.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This tells me that we really like Bouchard, and that Holland thinks we can get him at around 8-9.

In my opinion we should just keep the pick and draft who we want at 6. Let's say we trade back to 8, and the top 7 go something like Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Boqvist...then what? I don't like this plan. Just take whoever they want at 6.

Reactions: njx9

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Forget to mention, that Custance's article also mentioned Red Wings being possible player on UFA market at summer 2019.

This 2018 summer goes mainly to RFA extensions (Green would be only UFA with max 2-year term), and summer 2019 is better to push, thanks to Kronwall retirement, Nyquist possibly traded and Howard gone/extended cheaper. And rising cap.

When they speculate us being a big player at 2019 and not 2018, I will read between the lines => 2018-19 season will be half-tanking, again. Stay in competition for 50-60 game mark, the the wheels drop off, trade veterans + hoard picks, bring more kids in, draft high again and have another chance for lottery.

Build through the draft and bring kids in. Winning a guy like Jack Hughes could be the magnet who hoards also big UFAs in.

Being a player in 2019 is going to look a lot like us being a player for Stamkos.

This summer should be just a focus on RFA, Green should be allowed to walk. We should focus on bringing more kids in, and we might up front with Rasmussen and whoever our #1 pick is this year, but I doubt we see anything significantly beyond that.

seems like a waste of assets on our part.

That just yet again proves that Holland is an incompetent nincompoop,
exposed after the "brains" left.
Bringing back the same defense that was considered the worst in the NHL is insanity!
But I blame Chris Ilitch now, for resigning the doofus.

Other than re-signing Green, I'm not sure how much of a choice he has considering the contracts and tradability the rest of that blueline has. No one is going to want Ericsson or Daley without us either sweetening the pot a good bit or eating a big chunk of contract. No one is going to want a crippled Kronwall. And Dekeyser hasn't come close to making his deal enticing to anyone.

If Holland doesn't re-sign Green, or any other UFA filler, I'll have to consider it a success for the summer.

Reactions: njx9 and NickH8

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This tells me that we really like Bouchard, and that Holland thinks we can get him at around 8-9.

In my opinion we should just keep the pick and draft who we want at 6. Let's say we trade back to 8, and the top 7 go something like Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Boqvist...then what? I don't like this plan. Just take whoever they want at 6.

I just think Holland doesn't make a move until he sees how the five picks ahead of him plays out. If it goes Dahlin/Svech/Zadina/Tkachuk/ Wahlstrom then at least one of the other D will slide to at least nine. If a couple of D go in those 3/4/5 spots, though, we keep our pick and grab the guy we want most.

Reactions: jkutswings
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It would take a ton to move into the top 3. There's no way. Literally no way. It would take way more than just Vegas' pick. Especially for #2.

Between Garrioch saying they might with no source and Custance directly quoting Holland saying they likely will not, I know who I believe.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

ron-swanson.gif

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
As I mentioned in the other draft thread - I'm under the impression Holland is more than willing in moving the 6th overall pick for more picks/prospects/etc.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Then we take Tkachuck at 8 and celebrate. Kotkaniemi and Wahlstrom would also be excellent options.

However I don't think they trade down without pretty much knowing they'll get one of "their" guys. If Hughes and Dobson are both off the board then probably we just stick with 6 and take Bouchard..

Hard to know how this draft will play out. Holland should definitely keep all options open.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
it have to be between 3 players .1 Dobson , main player on the team who won the cup 2. Bouchard , some one who can play half of the game . 3. Hughes , already played at the highest level . The main thing between those 3 it is character , potential Capitan of the main team

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Then we take Tkachuck at 8 and celebrate. Kotkaniemi and Wahlstrom would also be excellent options.

However I don't think they trade down without pretty much knowing they'll get one of "their" guys. If Hughes and Dobson are both off the board then probably we just stick with 6 and take Bouchard..

Hard to know how this draft will play out. Holland should definitely keep all options open.

If Tkachuk is their at six I would be stunned, but at that point we wouldn't trade the pick and probably take him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If Tkachuk is their at six I would be stunned, but at that point we wouldn't trade the pick and probably take him.

I sure as hell hope the Wings don't take him. He has all the red flags in my mind. Older, taller, heavier, and comes with a famous name. Its all the signs of a reach pick. Also he plays a non-premium position, the easiest to fill both later in the draft and through trades/FA. Detroit needs to focus on building the back end and center, because right now they lack elite talent at both positions. So unless Svech is on the table, I think Detroit shouldn't think about a winger until their 3rd or 4th pick this year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I sure as hell hope the Wings don't take him. He has all the red flags in my mind. Older, taller, heavier, and comes with a famous name. Its all the signs of a reach pick. Also he plays a non-premium position, the easiest to fill both later in the draft and through trades/FA. Detroit needs to focus on building the back end and center, because right now they lack elite talent at both positions. So unless Svech is on the table, I think Detroit shouldn't think about a winger until their 3rd or 4th pick this year.

Tkachuk is an elite talent that gives this team an identity up front. It also breaths an elite offensive playmaker that routinely generates line offense onto the team. He plays a full 200 game and is about as mean as you want a hockey player to be. I have heard someone I really trust call him a playmaking Iginla. He is a very intriguing talent and he fits the big skating dead serious 24/7 hockey guy they have been going for.

If they go another way fine, but I will be elated if we come out of this draft with Brady Tkachuk. He is going to be an awesome player in my opinion.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m not worried about nothing.

Holland is saying they want a D or Center, and I like Brady I think he’s going to be a good player.

As long as we don’t go off the reservation, we are coming out of this with a damn good prospect with the first pick. :)

Last edited:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
In that event I think I'd prefer to trade down. If Tkachuk is an elite talent as you say and is still available at 6, then teams at 7-9 might be willing to pay a steep price to get him. There's some really good D prospects in the top 10 and our D is far and away the part of the team most desperate for attention, and some of them are bound to still be available at 7-9. If Tkachuk is there, we still get one of those D and can leverage Tkachuk for more assets.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Massive difference between 6 and 9 then 17 and 19

Let alone when you factor in this franchise hasent picked this high in what, 30 years and has the least high end talent of any club in the league.

Do not trade down
Take your guy and be happy

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Tkachuk is an elite talent that gives this team an identity up front. It also breaths an elite offensive playmaker that routinely generates line offense onto the team. He plays a full 200 game and is about as mean as you want a hockey player to be. I have heard someone I really trust call him a playmaking Iginla. He is a very intriguing talent and he fits the big skating dead serious 24/7 hockey guy they have been going for.

If they go another way fine, but I will be elated if we come out of this draft with Brady Tkachuk. He is going to be an awesome player in my opinion.
Pass. He could be the next hybrid of Brendan Shanahan, Eric Lindros, and Cam Neely...and, assuming there's at least one defensemen available that Detroit believes will make top pair, I'd still take the blue liner.

All the elite wingers in the world aren't going to do anything on this team but return it to bubble status and make it harder to draft the real building blocks at center and defense, which typically take longer to blossom anyway. I don't want a handful of good wingers wasting their ELC and then prime years, waiting for the defense to not be a tire fire.

Reactions: njx9

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I’m not worried about nothing.

Holland is saying they want a D or Center, and I like Brady I think he’s going to be a good player.

As long as we don’t go off the reservation, we are coming out of this with a damn good prospect with the first pick. :)

Oh man, if we pick like Joe Veleno at 6, I’ll feel so nervous.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pass. He could be the next hybrid of Brendan Shanahan, Eric Lindros, and Cam Neely...and, assuming there's at least one defensemen available that Detroit believes will make top pair, I'd still take the blue liner.

All the elite wingers in the world aren't going to do anything on this team but return it to bubble status and make it harder to draft the real building blocks at center and defense, which typically take longer to blossom anyway. I don't want a handful of good wingers wasting their ELC and then prime years, waiting for the defense to not be a tire fire.

I understand that position, I really do. I am more putting out there that I am not going to be upset if Brady Tkachuk is on our team after the draft. I understand that some of you will be, but I am going to be excited, I have him at #4 on my board so winding up with him at six and I think what he does for us up front would be huge.

We are going to have to hit on some deeper picks here, I get wanting to get that D-man here. I think a draft of Dobson and hopefully Miller is exactly what this team needs. But we need a lot of elite talent everywhere. If they decide to go Tkachuk because he was simply too good to pass up on I understand that. I tell you one thing though, I don't need to worry about a Wings team getting to the dirty areas if you have Bertuzzi, Rasmussen, Tkachuk, maybe Svech and Mantha does go there but having these kind of guys already on your lineup frees him up more as well. That is a hulking group to dissuade from playing big boy hockey. These players can all skate pretty well too though we need an additional step out of Bertuzzi and Svech but man alive if they find it. You sprinkle in Larkin and AA in terms of speed and the room they have and it could be a relentless forechecking team that dominates teams with a cycle when pushed into a more structured o-zone affair and thrive at that as well.

I would take the d-man, but I can see that a big part of up front is built and ready to go if Brady Tkachuk is on the team is all and I can see the intrigue, I like him a lot as a player. He is a very unique guy, I like having weapons that have staying power in playoff series and are tough chalk talk players in the one off game regular season because they aren't typical night in and night out in the league, to me Brady Tkachuk is one of those. Think about the disruption Tom Wilson has caused at times in the playoffs, now Tkachuk actually has the hands, hockey IQ and other improvements over Wilson to be that much better.

The tough part with Tkachuk is a true comp. A meaner Wheeler? A playmaking version of Iginla. Neely as you were saying... I am not sure but he is going to be one of the baddest cats in the NHL in my opinion and he is going to be a star while doing it. That is tough over 7 games and because of how hard he competes all the time it is tough in a game in December as well. Brady Tkachuk has a humongous motor a consistency to his game that I absolutely love. He is just an old fashioned hockey player but he has all the tools of the modern game as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad