News Article: Wings willing to move down from 6?

Browntrout

Apr 2, 2018
Yeah. Nothing too big there. Basically that they are willing to move, but not out of the top 10. And they are fine staying at 6 and drafting there. Holland also doesn't think it's worth trying to move up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Custance says Wings are expecting Svech, Zadina, and Tkachuk to get taken before they pick.

Said they are leaning towards the talented young defenseman (the 4 we talk about) and that they like Kotkaniemi.

Said trading up doesn't make sense, but could trade back depending on how the draft plays out. Really can't even talk about if it is a good idea or not until we see how the draft palys

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I believe moving down would be a mistake. Unless everyone of the 5 picks before us goes d,d,d,d,d and we where left with concussion risk. I also would not like our 1st to be spent on a winger at all or the C K-whatever. Toronto is screwed because they went offensive skill to early and will never fix there d because of this we should not follow in that same mistake lifting us out of top 10 range before are D is fixed.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Said trading up doesn't make sense, but could trade back depending on how the draft plays out. Really can't even talk about if it is a good idea or not until we see how the draft palys

As much as I hate the idea of trading back, sometimes it works. Just be careful about taking 2 nickels for a dime.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As much as I hate the idea of trading back, sometimes it works. Just be careful about taking 2 nickels for a dime.

They said they wouldn't move out of the top 10. If I could move back to 9 and still get Dobson, wouldn't be mad at it. Again, it all depends on how the draft plays out.

Pronman wrote a great piece on how draft boards work. You might have a guy ranked 3/4 and be able to get them at pick 9 with this draft. After Dahlin and Svech it's all pretty tight, IMO. But it's all entirely dependent on how the draft plays out. Like to the point of where it's probably pointless to say it is good idea or bad idea beforehand, IMO.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I believe moving down would be a mistake. Unless everyone of the 5 picks before us goes d,d,d,d,d and we where left with concussion risk. I also would not like our 1st to be spent on a winger at all or the C K-whatever. Toronto is screwed because they went offensive skill to early and will never fix there d because of this we should not follow in that same mistake lifting us out of top 10 range before are D is fixed.
I think you're overthinking it. If you have a forward higher on your list than a D you take him. If it's a tie then position is a tie breaker, but I don't believe in reaching too much for positional need.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They said they wouldn't move out of the top 10. If I could move back to 9 and still get Dobson, wouldn't be mad at it. Again, it all depends on how the draft plays out.

Pronman wrote a great piece on how draft boards work. You might have a guy ranked 3/4 and be able to get them at pick 9 with this draft. After Dahlin and Svech it's all pretty tight, IMO. But it's all entirely dependent on how the draft plays out. Like to the point of where it's probably pointless to say it is good idea or bad idea beforehand, IMO.

Absolutely. All I'm cautioning is that they ensure they get the top player on their board. It's paramount the Wings select the correct defender this year. Missing on this pick will likely set the team back, no way around it. Obviously that would be the plan, get their guy, but I've seen some trade back gambles blow up when another team trades ahead.

I'm sure you watched the NFL draft where the Packers traded back (fans were ready to riot, myself included) only to trade back up (for cheaper) and still get the player they wanted. I mean, if you can get the player you want AND get another great pick? Yeah, do that. But if there's any doubt, just take your guy at all costs.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Would the Wings be willing to trade with the Rangers who pick at 9 for additional assets? Kotkaniemi and Dobson should both be available at 9.

i think it's highly unlikely dobson is still there at 9. If he's still available at 6, just decide between him or bouchard and make the pick

Reactions: mjtm777

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
nothing new , they moved down 2 spots to get Mantha plus draft (Bert) . It was good move. So probably something like Rangers 9 +28 for #Red wings #6.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
id be willing to move down a spot or two if we were still guaranteed to get one of the guys that we like a lot

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Hard not to be a pessimist with some of the silliness coming out right now. Just holding my breath till June, I guess, and hoping common sense wins out in the war room.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This will be a dumb move unless a team is willing to severely overpay to move up. I mean like 8th+15-20th pick. Moving down from 6 and getting back a low first or a second would be a poor decision.

Reactions: Oddbob and njx9

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
This will be a dumb move unless a team is willing to severely overpay to move up. I mean like 8th+15-20th pick. Moving down from 6 and getting back a low first or a second would be a poor decision.
After dahlin that leaves 4 more defenseman, and if they believe svech, zadina, and Chuck will round out the top 4 all we need is wahlstrom drafted before pick 9 (if we did move down to 9th pick) and we draft whoever is left of the 4 horseman

Hughes, bouchard, Dobson, boqvist. If it plays out like that it's worth picking up an extra 1st.

Would love to have 5 top 40 picks

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
After dahlin that leaves 4 more defenseman, and if they believe svech, zadina, and Chuck will round out the top 4 all we need is wahlstrom drafted before pick 9 (if we did move down to 9th pick) and we draft whoever is left of the 4 horseman

Hughes, bouchard, Dobson, boqvist. If it plays out like that it's worth picking up an extra 1st.

Would love to have 5 top 40 picks

Vancouver, New York Rangers and Chicago are 7, 8, 9 respectively. Vancouver has no other first rounders that I am aware of.

New York has the 26th and 28th picks and Chicago has the 27th. The only way I would trade down if I were Holland, and the only way I wouldn't think the man a fool would be if he got the Ranger's 26th and 28th and used that plus Vegas's pick to move up to top 15 (preferably one of the Islander's picks).

Something like

Detroit: New York Ranger's 9th, New York Islander's 12th (Detroit wins by getting two very good picks)

Islander's: Boston's 26th, Tampa's 28th (and maybe Detroit's 2nd). (Islanders still have the 11th and now have 2-3 picks in the top 36, so a good deal for them)

Rangers: Red Wing's 6th, Vegas's 30th/31st. (Rangers move up to snatch whatever they may want, and still have a late 1st).

And any pick below 20 is unlikely to provide anything Detroit needs. They have a ton of middle 6 talent. They need high end/elite talent which by and large comes in the top 15. So having a ton of picks 20 or later is okay, but not nearly as valuable as having two in the top 12.

Last edited:

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
This will all depend on who is available at 6. And what the return would be. If it's possible to grab another 2nd and still get one of the defensemen, it is probably worth it. Having 3 2nds on top of the late 1st would be sufficient to move up and take a guy if someone falls, but also great to keep and just have more chances to hit on a high-quality player. None of this is new information.

What I reckon, however, is that how the entire draft goes will be based upon what Montreal, Ottawa and Arizona do, unless Carolina really does something nutty. Basically, what these teams do is essentially up in the air, so until they make a decision, what Detroit or any other team does will be impossible to predict. Outside of the top 2 this year, the next 7 or 8 players all have an argument for going 3rd (the best being Zadina, but Montreal could trade the pick due to fit). My sense is that the price Montreal is/could be asking for that 3rd pick is too rich for Detroit, but if a team in the top 10 wants to move up, Detroit is not married to 6.

IMHO, Detroit should stick to 6 and grab the best player there regardless of position. People are too caught up in drafting for positional need, when the biggest need is talent. Better to have a glut of good, young top six forwards than missing on a defensemen because his inadequacies were ignored due to his position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad